Grandmother diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCLC - Please Help.

Guest karag

Guest karag

Hello All. I just found this website and am very glad that I did. Let me introduce myself. My name is Kara Griffin and I live in Ennis, Texas. My Grandmother (Nanner) was diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCLC about a month and a half ago. We knew nothing was wrong. One day there was a small spot on her Liver they did some test and within a week we found out it was in her lung and bones (hip,arm, just about everywhere).

Please forgive me, I am just not very educated on the subject, I have alot of research to do.

My problem is she finished Radiation about 2.5 weeks ago. She has a very sever case of Esophagitis. She is unable to eat, can barely drink and it is hard for her to talk. Does anyone have any sugestions? My nanner is the sweetest woman in the world and It is hurting me so to see her suffer. If anyone has ANY advise it would be appriciated. Now becuase of her medication she is so week her legs fell out from under her and tore ligaments in her legs...she cant even get up to do simple things by herself.

Thank you so much for you time. I appriciate you just reading what I have to say.

God Bless You All.

Kara Griffin

Hi Kara,

Welcome :D , I'm sorry that your Nanner has Lung Cancer :( , but you've come to a good place for information and support. I had one of the sweetest most beautiful Nana's in the world she was a true treasure and a gift to my life (aren't we blessed?) I feel sad for people when they say, "I never knew my grandmother." I can tell how worried you are about her and I hope that you will get some answers here for her. I know that many have spoke of Aloe Vera Juice and mouth washes etc I think under General Forum Earl and Ginny "HUMP DAY" is a post about radiation middle of treatment and she talks about a mouth wash... for the esph....itits ?spelling??. I would encourage you to read as many of the posts that you can and ask questions. I will pray for your grandmothers healing and I am sending you... (((((((HUGS))))))).

Laurie :D

Hi Kara,

So sorry your Nana has to go through this (and you too!). Please get her some Ensure or Boost to drink. Baby food might work too. My husband used Miles Magic Mixture to soothe his throat and it really helped.

I'm glad you found this site. This can be a frightening time and much support is available to you right here. Keep us posted and we will certainly add your Nana to our prayers.

Blessings to you,

Peg

When my wife was having trouble eating because of radiation treatments to her spine, we loaded up on Ensure, Boost and nutritious liquids like that. Popsickles and sherbets are good. Sometimes, she would eat pudding and soft foods. And drink plenty of liquids like Gator Aid or Crystal Lite, clear juices. Best to yo and Grandma. Don

Guest karag

Thank you all for your speedy replies. She is feeling better this AM, but that always happens and then she just feels bad again. I am TRYING to keep a positive attitude, as I am sure all of you know it can be very hard.

There were some things that we have not tried (Alovera Juice) She has a real problem with anything sweet, so the pudding and thngs like that are hard.

Again - I THANK YOU SO MUCH! For all of the suggestions and help and prayers. I will talk with you all again soon.

Thanks again

Kara

Kara,

It is vitally important that your Nanner eat and drink. Our dr gave us an RX for Magic Mouthwash and Peg had Miles Magic Mix. These will numb the esophagus so that your Nanner can eat.

If they don't eat and drink they will end up in the hospital with an IV and/or a feeding tube.

My husband tells everyone I take great care of him except that I nag and nag and nag to make him eat and drink. This nagging is my joy. I want him healthy.

((((((((HUG))))))))

• 2 weeks later...
Guest karag

Hi I am sorry it has taken so long to write back. Well not any good news to report. We found out today that she is worse than we thought. It is probably in the bone marrow and there is something (I dont understand this medical terminology, please forgive) called bile that is from the liver that is affecting her (I turn 25 on Sunday, I should know this stuff). The pretty much are just keeping her comfortable right now. All she has done for 4 days is sleep. They told us to get hospice care if she even makes it home. They are doing a blood transfusion tonight to try to pump her up and make her do something so she can talk (wake up), so we can say everything we want to say. I just hope that works.

I understand that I shouldnt talk like this...but I am a Christian and I know where she is going, I am almost a little jealous. I have come to terms with loosing my nanner at 25, I have not come to terms with watching her suffer. I know that she will be putting the finishing touches on Heaven (She owns a shop in Ennis, "Crafts of Distinction" she can decorate or make a beautiful something out of nothing. ) and eating all the deserts she could ever imagine.

Thanks so much for your concern, I will keep in touch.

Kara

• 3 weeks later...
Guest karag

Hello All - I would like to thank every one of you again. We lost my Nanner today. She went with a smile on her face and couldnt wait to meet her savior. Please keep us in your thoughts. Thanks so much again,

Kara Griffin