From good to bad

Nova

Harry has been having chest pains off and on all day, along with pain in his jaw.(Classic signs of a heart attack, I know).

He had bypass surgery about 10 years ago, and the radiation doctor told us that the treatment would also damage his heart.

He won't let me call the doctor...

He's shaking again, which he hasn't done for several weeks, getting dizzy again, and feeling nauseated, (which he hasn't felt for a few days. We were so happy about that... :cry: )

Has anyone else had symptoms similar to this, and it NOT been heart trouble?

I feel like throwing my hands up, because he refuses to let me call the doctor.

I know he's getting nervous about the 4th session of chemo coming up. (We've been on a nice little vacation from it since March ). Could it be anxiety maybe?

Any helpful advice? I sure would appreciate any and all opinions.. (I've already thought of knocking him over the head with a hammer and dragging him to the doctor anyway, but I just can't do it---yet) :wink:

Thank you. I hope you're all having a very good day.

Nova

Oh Nova, I am so sorry to hear the latest news about Harry. I know absolutely nothing about heart problems (thank God) but it sure does sound like he could be having a heart attack. I do know that sometimes anxiety causes the same symptoms. Is he running a fever? Is his skin tone pale or is he sweaty? Oh, I so hope and pray it's only anxiety and he feels better. I do continue to pray for Harry and you daily. I wish I could do something. All I can do is pray. God bless.

Nova,

I am so sorry to hear all that is happening. I wish I could offer some insight but I'm not sure. (Maybe the hammer is a good idea, a girl has to do what a girl has to do.) I am sending prayers that things turn around!

Prayer to you,

Dana

Thanks for the prayers, for posting, and for condoning my idea of the "hammer to the head treatment"!

Barb, Harry is "THEE" most stubborn man in the universe, and if he says he won't go to the dr/hospital, he simply won't go. (I think maybe it's fear, and I really can't blame him, but it's scary to watch from an outsider's point of view)....

It's been a few hours now since he mentioned the chest pain and jaw "ache", and he now says he feels better. Maybe/hopefully, it's just nerves, although I'd never get him to admit that either.

If he's not feeling 100% better by tomorrow, I'll call the Primary nurse at the cancer center and have him talk to Harry. (Bless that nurse's heart, because he's the best of the best. He can get thru to Harry when I can't).

Thanks for writing. I appreciate you guys.

Barb,

If Harry has those symptoms he needs to get his butt to a hospital. It may be nothing, but sitting on your butt, you will never know. I guess cancer does not stop us from being stubborn. It sounds like some stunt I might do, but I think my wife would prevail. If not for him tell him to do it for you.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hi Nova,

I do hope he is continuing to feel better. My hubby did experience these feelings as well. It was after he had stopped chemo treatment for a couple of months and was feeling alright and then he just didn't feel too good suddenly. Maybe he needs his sodium level checked? How does Harry feel about his treatment? It really does take a toll on ones self, mind and body. Have you discussed what the best next step for you and Harry is? Maybe he needs to continue on a break from treatments until he recoups a little.

My intentions are good and I send you and Harry wishes for comfort and peace during this most difficult time.

Hugs...Flowergirlie

"Flowergirlie"]Hi Nova,

Maybe he needs his sodium level checked? How does Harry feel about his treatment? It really does take a toll on ones self, mind and body. Have you discussed what the best next step for you and Harry is?

Hugs...Flowergirlie

The sodium levels are something I always forget about for some reason. Thank you for mentioning that.

Harry isn't very "vocal" when it comes to discussing his cancer, the treatments, or anything else that we're going thru.

I guess we're all different in our reactions to things, but since I'm not a mind reader, it makes it a little hard to know what I can do to help him feel better, when he only gives "one-word answers" to questions....Sometimes I just don't know what to do or say, so I do and say nothing- except pat him on the back, or hold his hand for a second. :cry: ....Big Sigh...

Thanks for writing. Hope you're doing okay today. I think about you often.

Nova

Nova;

I have been in your shoes and I told everyone My Father was the most subborn man ever to roam the earth! Listen, Dad told me countless times to "stop" as I went to pick up the phone or walk down the hall to get the doctor. Well, as an obedient daughter I listened to him until one day I decided eventhough this was my dad's body- I needed to be in control because he was not. 3 times it saved his life for me to call. Do it! Take care and know others are thinking of the two of you!

I worked the ER for many yrs and heard the same thing!! I can not be having a heart attack-

If he has those symptoms again and he is not on any blood thinners have him take an aspirin. Just a plain old aspirin. If he went to an ER and they suspected he might be having one that is the first thing they do.

If he will not go tell him--

------- to stay home and when his heart quits you will call 911 but by the time they get there you will be able to collect the insurance!! Sorry a little sarcasm always lightens the mood.

Seriously, those symptoms are classic and he needs to be checked. It would awful to live thru the cancer and let a little heart attack get hime

Cindy

Cindy,

I agree 100%... (I couldn't use the insurance line though, because there isn't any!!! :shock: )

I had already gotten the bottle of aspirins out, in case I needed them.

Thankfully, he hasn't had any more chest pain since that evening.

I still plan on telling his oncologist at the appointment we have on Monday, just so they know. (Maybe they can provide me with a bigger hammer then the one I have at home.. :? ..)

Thanks for writing,

Nova

Nova,

Just checking in and hoping that things are getting better. I also wanted you to know what a great job your doing! Your love and commitment shine through all your posts. Your positve attitude is contagious. Keep that strength and fight.

My mom is very subborn and many times said "Don't tell the Dr. I'm fine. I started ignoring her and at times when she wasn't eating I would rat her out. Hey it was for her own good!

If your gut tells you to call or say something. do it. Even if it gets you "THE EVIL EYE" which my mom is a pro at!!!!

My prayers are with you,

Dana