chemo not working

debbie412

i have been browsing but not posting lately. my mom is not doing so hot. she originally had cis-platin and cpt 11 (8 cycles) then radiation. the tumor never went away, but shrunk significantly. after a 2 month break it started growing again and she was on 2 cycles of etoposide. it did not work. then she had 2 cycles of adreomyecin and vincristine and that did not work. now she was switched to topotican and the pain is still so bad and she basically sleeps most of the day. what next? how much can she take? i am so scared. thank you for listening, and i pray for everyone daily.

I am so sorry that you and your family are having such a struggle. How much can she take? Only the Lord knows. She must be pretty special, though, if He's giving her such a load. That's what I tried to tell myself with my mom. This cancer is so hard for everyone. I wouldn't want to be the person with it, but it is so difficult to watch a loved one go through it!

You sound overwhelmed. How are YOU doing? Do you have any support from family or friends? Are you taking care of yourself? I didn't listen to the people on this board when they suggested that I go to a doctor and get anxiety medicine or anti-depressants. I'll tell you, though, if I had to do it over, I would. Going through this is so difficult that sometimes you just need a little extra support to be able to be of help to those that you love.

Since I too am a daughter of a mother with cancer, please feel free to pm me for any help or to vent or whatever. It does make it easier to not go through this alone.

Debbie,

I don't guess any of us knows those answers. all we can do is pray that one of the chemo's like our loved ones and starts killing all the bad cancers. This roller coaster ride is very rough right now but it can turn around in a few hours too so hang tough.....

thank you all so much for your replies. i called the onc this morning and he prescribed a morphine pill for pain. we are do back for chemo tomorrow and i hope her bloodwork is ok. my sister lives out of state, so it is basically me and my father taking care of her. i have twin 2 and 1/2 year olds and a 1 year old son so it can be very tough at times. although, i dont really have time to get depressed!! please pray for my mom and i will do the same for everyone out there.

Yea Debbie, Hang in there,!

You and your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers, you certainly have alot on your plate, keep the faith!!

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"