Not again -- thrush in the mouth is back (updated 7/7)

teriw

Now that Bill just started to put weight on, his thrush in the mouth is back (probably due to low WBC). This time they've given him a liquid medicine called Nystatin. Last time, which was just over a couple weeks ago, he had antibiotics which knocked it out quickly.

He started using this Nystatin yesterday. (Why do they make medicine for ill people taste so horrible?)Don't really see an improvement yet -- has anyone had experience with this to know how long it takes to work? He's convinced it's not going to work, but I keep telling him it will probably take a couple days.

As usual, he's hanging in there and despite all the physical stuff, has been in very good spirits.

I too, have had thrush and been prescribed the liquid Nystatin (and yes, it is nasty tasting). My doctor told me that it could take a couple of weeks to clear up, but they don't like to give a systemic prescription if they don't have to.

After two weeks, with no sign that this was ever going to go away, my doctor finally gave me a prescription (can't remember what it was now, but triangular shaped and pink!) and that cleared it up in a couple of days.

I say don't wait too long - go back and get the good stuff!

GinnyB

Teri,

Sorry Bill has the beastie yeasties. Tony was on Nystatin (swish and swallow) at some point in the past -- but he doesn't remember how long it took to work. It did work though and the thrush disappeared. He was also battling mouth sores at the time and also rinsing up to 4 times a day with Biotene mouthwash. I just found out why he didn't think Nystatin was yucky tasting -- he never swallowed it! :roll:

Hope it works. Bill is using it multiple times a day I suppose.

Debi

Teri

My Mom just came over a little while ago and showed me her tongue-I do believe she has thrush also. She is seeing the Dr tomorrow for a cat scan of her chest so I will let you know what they give her and how it works.

Dar

Here is info on oral thrush from the Mayo Clinic website:

Oral thrush is a condition in which the fungus Candida albicans grows out of control. Like most healthy people, you probably have small amounts of the fungus in your mouth and digestive tract and on your skin. You can't see the fungus and normally won't know it's there — it usually doesn't cause problems because normal bacteria (flora) in your body keep its growth in check. But when this balance is disturbed — by medications or illness — Candida can grow out of control, leading to problems such as diaper rash and vaginal yeast infections as well as oral thrush.

Oral thrush causes creamy white lesions, usually on your tongue or inner cheeks. The lesions can be painful and may bleed slightly when you scrape them or brush your teeth. Sometimes oral thrush may spread to the roof of your mouth, your gums, tonsils or the back of your throat.

Although oral thrush can affect anyone, it occurs most often in babies and toddlers, older adults, and people whose immune systems have been compromised by illness or medications. Oral thrush is a minor problem for healthy children and adults, but for those with weakened immune systems, symptoms of oral thrush may be more severe, widespread and difficult to control.

Treatment

The goal of any treatment is to stop the rapid spread of the fungus, but the best approach may depend on your age and the cause of the infection.

Treating oral thrush in adults with weakened immune systems

Most often, your doctor will recommend an antifungal medication, which may come in one of several forms, including lozenges, tablets or a liquid that you swish in your mouth and then swallow.

The normal course of treatment is usually 10 to 14 days. Unfortunately, Candida albicans can become resistant to antifungal medications, especially in people with late-stage HIV infection. A drug known as amphotericin B may be used when other medications aren't effective.

Some antifungal medications may cause liver damage. For this reason, your doctor will likely perform blood tests to monitor your liver function, especially if you require prolonged treatment or have a history of liver disease.

Complementary and alternative medicine

Some adults have found that taking these substances can help prevent or treat oral thrush:

* Garlic capsules. Garlic may have antifungal and antibacterial properties. One study found that ajoene, a compound obtained from garlic, was as effective in treating the fungus that causes athlete's foot as standard antifungal medications. You can find garlic capsules in natural food stores and many drugstores. Look for deodorized capsules. Including raw garlic in your diet also may be beneficial.

* Yeast-Gard tablets. Usually found in natural food stores, this product may help prevent yeast infections and soothe irritated tissue. Check with your doctor to make sure Yeast-Gard doesn't interfere with any other medications you may be taking.

* Caprylic acid capsules. This fatty acid, derived from coconut oil, has been shown to have antifungal properties. You can find the capsules in most natural food stores and online. They're generally safe, but shouldn't be used if you have ulcerative colitis.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oral-t ... DSECTION=1

I don't know much about it, as so far, (knock wood, throw salt over my shoulder, etc.), Harry hasn't had it.

He DID have yeast in his stool sample in the hospital though, probably from the antibiotics they were giving him, so he's on medication for it...

Would eating yogurt help, I wonder?

It's got all kinds of "good for you" natural ingredients..It's suppose to help keep things balanced. ( I eat a lot of it because I have Crohn's Disease).

"Anyhoo", I hope Bill's heals up quickly!

Take care,

Nova

Hello Teri,

Sorry to hear about the thrush. I know from past experience it's miserable. Bill took Diflucan (antibiotic) and Carafate. He's had it several times and it always seems to wane after treatment. Hopefully and prayerfully it too will pass. Blessings to you both.

Thanks everyone for the info and experience. After four days, it's better but still there. I'm going to call the doc today and see if he can give Bill something bigger and better. The taste of it in his mouth is making him not eat. It's not bad enough that it's caused pain this time because we caught it early, but he says everything tastes like motor oil. So....he's losing weight again. It's a crazy cycle. As if he's not dealing with enough. The real frustration is that he's hungry and wants to eat. And keeps trying to eat, but then the food taste makes him feel sick. We have our family and a couple friends coming over for the 4th, and I want Bill be actually be able to enjoy a burger!

Hugs to you all and best wishes for a happy 4th.

Well, the bigger and better thing our doctor prescribed ended up being an over-the-counter mouth ulcer "temporary" pain reliever! I was so frustrated yesterday. I quickly drove to the doctor's office to pick up the new prescription (didn't trust them to get it to the pharmacy!), then went to get it filled. When I saw what it was, my heart sank and I almost burst out in tears (not like me). (Of course by this time, the office is at lunch so no one to complain to.) I called back in the afternoon again to say that mouth pain wasn't the problem -- the problem was that the fungus wasn't going away and the taste of it made it almost impossible for Bill to swallow food without feeling sick. We never got a call back. And this is the doctor lecturing him about his weight loss. He's going through so much physical agony at the moment, seeing him go through just one more unnecessary thing is breaking my heart. We see the doctor again tomorrow anyway, but sometimes I feel like he's great with cancer, but crap with "quality of life" issues. With all that Bill's going through now, I think a phone call just asking what the problem was wasn't too much to ask for.

On the plus side, I did take the great advice of Karen to get it flavored. Just wish I would have done it sooner. It's a bit more tolerable now.

Vent over.

Happy 4th!

for the flavoring would an extract help from the store perhaps?? Just a thought for the pproblem Prayers for Bill and Teri also tonite. Ya know like Vanilla extract or something. Actually Vanilla is close to Bourbon flavor. :) MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

We now have Ketoconazole tablets. Bill started those on Thursday evening. Tongue still looks the same this morning. I'm hoping and praying this works and doesn't take weeks. He can't afford to lose another pound. Saw our radio-onc on Friday. At least he was concerned and sympathetic about the eating and gave us a bunch of samples of mixes and powders meant to help build body mass. Told us he has his pager and to call anytime if we need him over the weekend. Our medical onc just says, "Bill, you need to eat." Well duh.

Thanks for all your help.