Need to Ask a Question please....

gdlemaire

Hello,

Newbie here; just joined. Question for the group please:

My friend's husband just passed from LC; she wants to point friends to a charity to make donations in his name. Any idea on what other's have done?

Suggest those who wish to donate to

1. Am. Lung Assoc - National or local affiliate in name of deceased?

2. Am. Cancer Society (national or local)

3. Lung Cancer group??? Which one would you suggest? Where? Locally in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area where we live or to a National Headquarters?

Thanks for your opinions...we are in need of a little assistance from you experts.

PS: I'm a 2x LC survivor also. First diagnosed in 1992/surgery; reoccurance in 1999/2nd surgery but I'm still mentally strong and looking ahead with a great attitude. Also survived Breast Cancer in 1988! My hat's off to those of you who have gone through this one way or another and my heart just aches to see some of the posts. Bless you all and keep fighting the good fight!

And yes, I had read that Lungevity originated in Texas...but now you are in Chicagoland ... There are so many good organizations out there to support, but I'm thinking we should do something locally or to a strictly LC organization ... although most LC survivor's wind up with some Asthma too...

Just the same, I'm going to wait for others to weigh in and Thanks to you for your reply!!!

Be well,

Gail-

The American Cancer Society and the American Lung Association are fine organizations but they spend very little on lung cancer. Your best place to donate is LUNGevity because it all goes to research and for every dollar you donate it will be matched by their partnering organizations (up to 25% I believe) so your money goes farther and for very innovative research for lung cancer only.

There is no other organization I know of that has this partnering program. LUNGevity is strictly lung cancer and originated in Chicago-- this message board --lchelp.com -- originated in Texas.

Rochelle

I don't know that lung cancer patients get asthma, I would be a lot more concerned about the lung cancer issue rather then adding the asthma in there. HOWEVER, most lung cancer patients DO have COPD when they are diagnosed with lung cancer.

Some of us have been dealing with this for MANY years and many of us have done Lung Cancer Awareness Events over the years to bring Awareness to Lung Cancer which does NOT get very much grant money for research or patient care etc., as breast cancer does, and prostate cancer does.

Ry is right 199% when she said: The American Cancer Society and the American Lung Association are fine organizations but they spend very little on lung cancer. Your best place to donate is LUNGevity because it all goes to research and for every dollar you donate it will be matched by their partnering organizations (up to 25% I believe) so your money goes farther and for very innovative research for lung cancer only.

There is no other organization I know of that has this partnering program. LUNGevity is strictly lung cancer and originated in Chicago-- this message board --lchelp.com -- originated in Texas.

Many people here have spent countless hours researching where money goes for lung cancer and right now the best place is LUNGevity. They are the only ones that spend the donation moneies for ONLY LUNG CANCER related illness.

This is a tax deductiable donation.

Our charities of Choice:

I-ELCAP (Int'l Early Lung Cancer Action Program)

Lungevity (of course)

Alliance for Cancer Gene Therapy (doing a LC study right now)

Lung Cancer Alliance (more of a political group than the others, but a neccesary front in the battle in my opinion).

Because of my companies involvement, my charity of choice is The V Foundation raising an enourmous amount of money for cancer research. They fund research grants to reputable scientists at cancer centers around the country looking for a cure. They are doing what the government should be doing and doesn't.

Lilly