Has any one else had this low of wbc count and anc???

rinksgal

I told Norme I was getting off of here and relax, yea right, I started searching for anc levels and danger of wbc counts? well here I am still on the pc... Darrells been sleeping for hours, fixing to go check on him again. Has anyone else had their wbc count be as low as 0.7 and their anc 0.20 ???? I also read where aranesp can cause blood clots and edema etc.... No one told us this?? Can anyone give me their experience with these problems?? and how long does it take them to go up? and how serious and dangerous this is? Darrell seems to think he can go to his sons ballgame tomorrow night without wearing a mask... I know these levels are right they even counted them different or over or something due to them being low.. They told him only go if he wears a mask... If anyone on here has had experiences with this I'd appreciate inputs I'll show them to Darrell! I'm so worried!!!

When my father was to have his stem cell transplant for lymphoma his wbc got down to 0.9, but he was already in the hospital awaiting transplant. That is dangerously low and should either wear a mask or steer clear of other people, have antibacterial wipes and be diligent in washing his hands. Have you asked about neupogen shots or a transfusion? Sometimes it just takes awhile to get that bone marrow moving.

He just just had a blood transfusion on Tuesday, 2 units. I hope they go up soon, how soon do they go up. But this won't help his wbc count will it? and should it help with is anc count too? Thanks

His bone marrow just needs time. If youre worried, have his counts checked again Monday, ask about neupogen to bring wbc up. Sometimes theyll give it and sometimes they just want the bone marrow to do it on its own. Im not positive about the transfusion helping the wbc, I would think so, its whole blood. As for drugs to bring up platelets, the chemo nurse told us the side effects werent worth it and it was best to let the bone marrow recover and do it on its own. Please be very careful of infection, call doc if he gets any kind of fever at all.

Thanks Linda, I'm making sure he takes his temp. he says I don't have one, I said well I read you should take your temp at least 3 times a day, he says no 2 times. anyway 5 min. later he was taking it and it was 98. something. So I keep a close watch on him. I know he thinks I'm a mother hen to him, but I think he likes it too, but also gets tired of me mothering over him worrying, but I know he knows I just love him and I'm wanting the best care for him. We both thought he'd feel better after the transfusion.. we are both kind of disappointed that hes not.. he had it tuesday and hes still feeling bad, but the past 2 days he hasn't got alot of rest, a friend from out of town came and stayed for 3 days so hes really tired, so I'm not sure if thats why hes not feeling better or if its just not working yet... we have a lot of company sometimes...He told me tonight that hes sleeping 12 hours tonight!! I think he will too, the doc gave him ambien and he plans on taking it and sleeping...I think he needs the rest...

He will get his counts checked again on thursday when we see the oncologist, I even suggest him going to his family doc here in town tomorrow and get his levels checked and then he'd know where they stand and if they've come up. My biggest worry is friday night being at a football game which I take a chair and carry and he sits the whole time because hes so weak. But being around all these people I'm scared to death hes gonna catch something, and he doesn't want to wear a mask... I lectured him again tonight, and told him not to even say anything about what I was saying to just listen and to please consider it.. I told him I'd even buy him a scarf tomorrow and he could wear it around his face, when walking through crowds of people. I don't blame him for not wanting to wear a mask, but its not worth dying over or catching something and ending up in the hospital...hes wore one to Meijers a couple of times when they weren't this low, but the game has a lot of his friends and his sons friends and I think thats hard for him.. thats why I thought maybe the scarf thing would help.. Am I just worrying too much, he thinks the being outside he will be fine???? I told him I won't say anything else that he knows what hes suppose to do, but I will worry so much...but its not worth fighting with him over it...or is it??

Thanks so much for your input... I printed out your first response and let him read it, he didn't say a word, but I know he knows whats right! I just love him so much, I don't want to see him sick!

p.s. I will ask them about neupogen!!

Christy

He KNOWS he needs to wear a mask, he's just wanting to be normal a little bit... for a little while... and forget the cancer.

It could be fatal for him to catch something. He needs to wear a mask if he has the strength to go at all.

He shouldn't be afraid of people knowing he's got to take precautions.

We all would love to wake up and have this nightmare gone.

I would have loved to have the energy to think about going to my kid's ball game at that stage.

I hope he goes, and has a blast, and WEARS THE DARN MASK. Bring straws for cocoa or coffee.

As for the counts... tincture of time.......

Warm regards,

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Just a quick question in regards to the blood count after a transfusion: could he be "bleeding out" somewhere? I never did the chemo thing, nor have I been around a family member going through the same, but to receive two units of blood and not feel a change??? Where's it going?

A tangent, sorry....

And yeah, he should wear a mask - sounds like "Four out of five doctors agree" 8) If it's chilly down where you are like it is up here, the scarf might be a GREAT, WELCOME idea - and furry mittens, too!

I can understand the push to go to the game (I missed my boy's DARE graduation because of radiation and warnings - it was inside) and seem "normal"...guess it'll have to be a compromise. He CAN go, but he has to take precautions...

Good luck battling with a hard-headed man! I'm sure my hubby has been ready to throw up his hands a few times.... :lol:

Becky

Yes its gonna be cold here tonight too!! Last night got down to 25 here!! So I've layed out tons of warm clothes for him and coats and long johns!! Gonna get the gloves and scarf out we'll see what happens. I've said plenty to him about this, but guess it has to be his choice... Hes so tired, this game of course is an hour away, I'll take a chair so he can sit and doesn't have to be in the stands....He can be hard headed!!!!

Its his sons senior year and last football game of his highschool years. So I do understand him going, I wouldn't even think of asking him not to go, just take precautions.. We'll see...... :cry:

As far as the blood thing, Not that I know of...I worry about everything, you couldn't say anything that could make me worry anymore than I already do.. well gotta get going!!

Wish Me and Him Luck, and I hope his son wins!!

Christy

Well for all of you that responded, Darrell comprised last night at the game. I went up into his sons room and searched until I found this tube thing that his dad bought his son for sking. You pull it over your head and down around your neck, and you can also pull up over your mouth and nose. It also matched the hat Darrell was gonna wear...which was also his sons. Anyway anytime going through crowds of people he had it up. We stood down toward one end of the football field and Darrell sat in a chair I had taken with us to all the games. He doesn't have the enegery to stand.

So that was the last game and they loss, but at least I don't have that worry no more!! :)

He actually didn't even have the energy to be there. But nothing could have kept it from it.. Thats the only activity other than doctors hes done for weeks!

Christy

Glad he got to go to the game Christy. My husband Bill went to the football game last night too - to watch our daughter dance the pregame show (she's a POM girl). Although he only made it a half hour and had to leave, my daughter was in tears when she saw that he was there.

His WBC is at 2 now and the oncologist was discussing shots yesterday to help his counts go up if they go any lower next week after treatment.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Peg I'm glad your husband was able to go to watch your daughter!! Thats great!! Even if he couldn't stay the whole time..You know this was Darrell's sons last foot ball game of his high school years. Nothing could have kept him away!!!!! His son is good too!! Great athlete!

You know I'm wondering why they aren't giving him any shot for Darrells white cell count. I mean if more treatment is needed I don't want them to not be able to do it, becuase of that... Although I'm thinking he might need a break!!! We'll find out thursday whats up.. New ct scan this Monday. and oncology appointments Thursday!!

I'm scared to death and anxious!!! Of course I"m going through my not being able to eat phase which I'm learning always happens right before test and appointments!!! Wish us luck!!!!!!!!!!!!and a few prayers would be greatly appreciated!!!! I wish your husband and you the best of luck and I'm sending prayers for all of you!!!

Christy

Hi Christy,

I was thinking about you today. Im glad he got to go to the game. There are things to do to bring that blood count up. Maybe he needs another transfusion and do ask about neupogen. Dont be discouraged, low counts make them feel worse than the cancer!!! Keep us posted. Youre in my prayers.