The Good and the Not-So Good

Leslie

Hi all--

Just wanted to let everyone know we got the results of the PET scan on Wednesday and while there has been some shrinkage of the primary lung tumor and lymph nodes, 2 new mets were discovered (on the spine and hip) and there is a small liver met. Additionally, it looks like some new lymph nodes involved.

My dad is out of the clinical study and off the Carboplatin/Gemzar/Avastin...he is now on Zometa and it looks like we will be moving on to Alimta, possibly with Avastin.

I am grateful that it wasn't all progression--but it's hard to not feel a little disappointed and sad...I am fighting hard to stay strong.

After a day of feeling sad, my dad is much stronger and ready to get back in the fight. So, if he is strong, then so am I.

Praying that Avastin gets approved by insurance!

Best,

Leslie

It always seems like it is a mixed bag with this disease doesn't it? It's good that the primary is shrinking. Will they be doing any radiation for his spine and pelvis mets? I guess the Zometa is to take care of them. Sounds like your Dad has a great attitude and he is luck to have you supporting him.

Susan

Leslie:

I really hope Alimta works well for your dad, as it has for many. If he can have it with Avastin, so much the better, since he can possibly stay on that as a maintenance therapy later. You guys have been whipped around enough and are overdue some stability in your lives!

I don't recall seeing Tarceva mentioned as an option for your dad. Is there some reason it would not be appropriate? Many people have had outstanding results with Tarceva, including some who didn't quite fit the supposedly "ideal" patient profile.

Aloha,

Ned

Hi Ned,

we're tossing tarceva around as the probable third line option. For now we want to give another chemo a shake---hopefully avastin will be part of it. Dr. West wasnt so sure if getting avastin included mattered as dad already has had 2 infusions of it for first line, but our onc. had the exact same feeling as I did: Avastin hasnt been given a fair shake yet. Dad had a mixed response, so something worked on the established tumor sites, there's a good chance it was avastin, therefore we should continue it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all---

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their kind words. Insurance approved the Avastin and my dad received his first infusion about a week and a half ago. So far, his fatigue isn't too bad and he's eating so his weight remains stable. We've noticed that his cough is getting a little worse--but hopefully that is only a side effect of the Alimta.

Sending strong thoughts to everyone.

Best,

Leslie