Chemo questions...please help!

ChristineT

*I have no idea if I put this in the right forum so feel free to move if necessary*

My dad started Taxol/Carbo today. He will have treatment once a week for 6 weeks. Can anyone tell me the side effects he *might* experience with this? They gave him a script for anti-nausea meds but my mom can't remember if he is supposed to take them right away or only if he gets nauseous. From what I have read, he needs to stay ahead of the nausea, right? When will any side effects kick in?

I am totally new to this and was unable to go to his appt so any answers would be appreciated! Thanks!

Oh, and also, dad said they gave him some other kind of medication also? You think he would know, right :x What could this have been? I have been reading sometimes they give you a steroid or anti-nausea med before hand. He said after the treatment he was starving (and still was at dinner time). He ate more at lunch than he had in months? I don't get it!

And also from what I have been reading this treatment is usually adminstered once every 3 weeks. He is getting weekly treatments. Does anyone know the difference?

My husband was on carbo, but never Taxol. So I can't offer too much regarding side effects. Regarding the frequency of treatment, oncologists sometimes stray from the 'norm' for a number of reasons. Sometimes it is to administer more or less chemo. In my husband's case, he was given chemo 1x week at one point instead of every 3 weeks so that he could get slightly more chemo, but still preserve his blood counts.

A tip for whoever accompanies Dad to the doctor:

always bring a notepad. So much new information is thrown out during these visits, and often patients and caregivers are tired or emotional. It makes remembering all the details even harder.

Best wishes to your Dad. He is lucky to have you.

I had Taxol (everyone is different) weekly. The only side effect was Neuropathy (numbness, tingling in hands and feet-- if he does get it B6 and B12 help but ask the doctor first to make sure) and was many weeks before I developed it, still have it to this day. Had very good results with it. Sorry can't tell you what the med is been awhile since I had Taxol and my memory is not that good anymore. Had Carbo (but with Gemzar) and had no problems with the Carbo. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

PS: Here is a good site for information.

http://www.chemocare.com/bio (Chemotherapy Drugs - Drug Names)

Generally, anti-nausea meds are given as part of the IV cocktail. When to take other anti-nausea meds depends on what was in the cocktail. If he was given Emend, I think that lasts for several days and during that time, compazine is useful. If not Emend, then zofran might be started the same day. The directions on the bottle should tell you when the pills should be taken. None of this info., however, is always applicable to all cases, so you really should check with the doctor or his nurse. Just my guess, but with the amazing increase in appetite, he may have been given decadron.

Muriel

I did the same Carbo/Taxol for 7 weeks weekly and daily radiation. The dose is not as strong when doing with radiation that is why it is weekly. Alot of times the day of chemo I felt ok and the day after. I would then get really tired for a few times and sleep alot. I did not get nausea with it but a few times. It sounds like he handled it great. They do usually give you anti-nausua meds, steroid and bendryl. Any other question feel free to ask.

Hi, Christine:

It seems that fatigue is the most common side effect of Taxol/Carboplatin -- just about everyone gets it starting around 2 days after infusion, and things start to get better after another 2-3 days. The fatigue would probably start earlier except for the steroid (usually Decadron) given by mouth or by IV shortly before the Taxol. That's why your dad was hungry after the treatment, and he might feel "up" for part of today also, until the Decadron wears off.

In addition to Decadron, my IV premeds included Benadryl (anti-allergy, which always gave me the drowsies for a few hours) and Aloxi (anti-nausea). I also got a prescription for Ativan and was told to take one before bedtime the first 2 nights after infusion, but since I didn't have any nausea or anxiety I quit taking them after a couple of cycles -- some people have reported very strange side effects from Ativan (Lorazepam).

Heather answered your question on why weekly chemo instead of every 3 weeks.

The side effects other than fatigue vary considerably from one person to the next. My profile below describes what I experienced, and some of them are fairly common, but most people don't have as much trouble with the foot rash and blisters as I did. That was a bummer, since it deterred me from walking when I otherwise felt like walking. I didn't try to tough it out since a broken blister would have been an infection risk, and that's a biggie for someone on chemo.

Sounds like your dad is doing fine so far. Aloha,

Ned

Christine,

My father is gettng Carbo/Taxol/Avastin every three weeks. He had his 2nd round on Monday. His pre-meds include Benadryl and an anti-nausea. So far so good. He hasn't experienced any nausea or much fatigue for that matter (at least that he will admit to). His doctor told him to take anti-nausea pills as needed. However, based on what I've read here, I suggested he take them before he needs them. So, he takes one when he gets home, and continues to take them for 3 days after. We're not sure if they are the reason why he doesn't feel sick, but my dad doesn't want to stop taking them to find out. Oh, and he started to lose his hair after about two weeks.

I hope your dad has an easy time with his treatments.

Well you have gotten a lot of information, I found out as I started this road that I wanted to get all the information from the start. I now know that I can't get all the answers to my question because everyone of us has some of the same and then again different.being sick or nausa is one effect and headace was my other major side effect and I felt more tried then before the Chemo.

I want to give my blessing to your family and just take it one day at an time.

Terry Bones

Thanks for all of your replies and continued prayers to all of you and your loved ones!

Turns out my dad did have benadryl, aloxi and decadron before his treatment. That explains his increased appetite. He also had trouble sleeping once the benadryl wore off.

We are now facing another hurdle as his hernia has caused an intestional blockage and he is in the ER as we speak. I am going to post about it seperately.

Thank you again for all of your amazing support!