ALIMTA INFO?

kjude

Hi Kjude -

How intereting that you posted this question - I will be receiving my first dose of Alimta this Friday 10/12. I started on Avastin/carboplatin/taxotered for 6 cycles and then for the past 7 months on Avastin only until my last weeks CAT showed growth. Avastin has virtually no side effects (at least for me) so it is kinda scary to go back on a chemo that might make me sick. I have read on other forums that Alimta seems to run the gamut in people - either extreme fatigue or no side effects at all. Hopefully for both of us it will not cause us a lot of side effects but still be effective.

Will post another note after my first dose to let you know it went. Good luck to you!!

Hi, kjude:

I don't have any personal experience with Alimta YET, but it's a possibility for me in the future. Here's some good info on onctalk.com:

http://onctalk.com/?p=274

Or, you can type alimta in a search box on onctalk.com and get many screenfuls of links to articles there.

As others have said, the benefits and side effects run the gamut -- from wonderful results with practically no side effects to very little benefit and severe side effects, primarily fatigue. Let's hope you're in the first group!

Aloha,

Ned

Thank you Lily, please keep me informed about your Alimta treatment, I begin mine on 10-16,( third line) have you had any side effects other than the SOB, which may or may not be related? I am VERY SOB now, oh dear??? You sound as if you have been through a lot, on this journey... and learned things I have no idea about. I have just recently began "talking" about mine, and was orginally dx Nov. 05. I do wish you well!!

Jude :D

Hi again Kjude -

I had my first treatment of Alimta this past Friday. So far, all is well. The only thing that happened is they put me back on some anti-naseau pre-meds and they always constipate me terribly!! I have had no naseau and actually - my SOB is better than before I took the treatment (could that be just a coincidence??))

The Alimta only is infused for 10 minutes - I was like - is this stuff really going to work??

Don't know if the fatigue is something that has to build up after several cycles or not but right now I feel really good!!

Hope yours goes great - keep me posted!!

[bPatti, thanks for keeping me "up" on your treatments..today is MOn. 16th, I am having exceptionally bad SOB..it has increased daily for the past 5-6 days.I sure hope the encouraging news you had to share, about that, will be the same for me, and that it is not, just a coincidence !!!I have my first Alimta tomorrow at 1pm.. fatigue just seems to a regular part of this whole Cancer routine with me,it's simply a matter of what degree it is, on any given day!! :? I'll let you know how it goes!

Judy

[/b]