Do I need to be Freaking out?

ztweb

Dad hasn't been feeling well...just tired and down and out. Today he coughed up blood - not a large amount, but enough that they decided to go ahead and go to the emergency room.

There they did a chest x-ray to find a ton of scar tissue left over from radiation, and a bit of pneumonia.

He has not had any trouble in so long. Do I need to be worried here? Did anyone recurrence start this way?

Tomorrow they will call Mayo to let the onc know of what happened, but in the mean time, I am freaking out.

Help!

Jen

Jen,

There's never a good reason to freak out. Breathe. In through the nose, deeply, out through the mouth, slowly. Repeat until the "freak" eases.

Pneumonia can simply be pneumonia, and it IS that season... My pneumonia lead to coughing up blood due to a dry cough for a few weeks prior. Sounds like he's in the right place for now - IV fluids to keep dehydration at bay, medical professionals keeping an eye out for whatever pops up...

Just hang in there, and don't forget to breathe!

Becky

Jen,

I'm sitting here trying to wrap my arms around the news both you and Barb have gotten. You both know my prayers are going out to all of you.

I've sort of been on track with you and your dad since his diagnosis and treatment began. Besides, we had the same symptoms and we're almost neighbors.

I don't want to minimize anything your dad is going through but I have coughed up blood on a few occasions myself. Mine have been classed as both expelling tumor particles and damage from coughing. Neither ended up dangerous or threatening.

You may have noted lately that I'm back in chemo again and on my fourth different cocktail in four months. I still have faith in God, my Doctors, Medicine and my friends and relatives that we're going to come out ahead on this.

Your dad has shown that same spirit and you are his partner in this.

I can't tell you not to freak out but please remember, that's not how we got here.

Give Dad my best and you keep strong.

John

Hi - just wanted to say I'm thinking about your Dad and hoping for good news from Mayo. Just remember even if it's back there are many options out there for your Dad. I never thought my Mom would be here to see another Christmas and she's doing great!

Dar

• 2 weeks later...
"ztweb"]Dad hasn't been feeling well...just tired and down and out. Today he coughed up blood - not a large amount, but enough that they decided to go ahead and go to the emergency room.

There they did a chest x-ray to find a ton of scar tissue left over from radiation, and a bit of pneumonia.

He has not had any trouble in so long. Do I need to be worried here? Did anyone recurrence start this way?

Tomorrow they will call Mayo to let the onc know of what happened, but in the mean time, I am freaking out.

Help!

Jen