1st Chemo Treatment over & done..!!

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that my 1st chemo treatment is behind me & actually it was sort of anti-climatic. I had been expecting all these things to happen (side affects, etc), but none did & so far, I feel great! I actually went to the gym right after getting home for my daily work-out.

They started off giving me an anti-nausea pill (Kytril) and then followed that with a 30 minute infusion of a steroid med. Then I was given an injection of Lasix. Then (1) hour of Cisplatin & then (1) hour of Irinotecan (Camptosar). Of course all during this time, I'm going to the restroom every few minutes due to the Lasix. It was then over...I will continue to go once per week for 4 weeks & back to MD Anderson for re-testing. The nurse did tell me I needed to come back next Wednesday for blood draw to make sure I was ok for Thursday's treatment.

Just wanted to let eveyone know how it went. Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement; it means so much to me.

Ken

That brings back memories to me Ken! It's been 12 years that I did my chemo. But, when you discribed your day, it all came back to me! :roll:

I didn't have any major side effects when I did my chemo. I didn't get sick and all that stuff. Had some things, but nothing I couldn't live with.

I remember going to the bathroom all the time too. DRINK, DRINK, AND DRINK SOME MORE! Don't STOP DRINKING! I did dehydrate right after my last chemo treatment and THAT WASN'T FUN!

I hope you go through your chemo in flying colors like I did.

Hang in there, in no time you'll be looking back at it like I do! :wink:

Hi Ken,

Good to hear that your first treatment went well.

I remember my first treatment, I wouldnt let the nurses start until I had a trash can (with a clean liner in it) right next to me. I was convinced that I would start throwing up the minute the chemo went into my veins. :)

I hope you continue to feel great.

Wendy

Ken -

So glad the first one is out of the way and that it went well.

I also remember my first chemo - I think I looked like a deer caught in the headlights - I did not know what to expect. It was 6 1/2 hours long and then when my friend and I went to the parking garage, we couldn't find her car!! We were both convinced it was stolen. Shes crying cause she expects me to start puking at any second and I was crying cause I felt responsible for her car being stolen. The a security guard came up to us and said this happens every day; sit down, I will find it for you - and he did!!

Hope you continue to handle your chemos well!!

Hugs - Patti B.