Introducing myself

SandraL

Hello from beautiful Victoria BC Can to all you fellow lung cancer survivors out there. I am 43 years old and was diagnosed with LC (Stage IIIB) in Sept 07. I'm a wife and mother of 2 young children. I am currently in active treatment (6 weeks of radiation complete) and a 4th round of chemo scheduled in January. I am feeling pretty good and have and intene to continue to do some positive things (radio, newspaper, TV) to raise awareness and public support for this darn disease. My kids are very positive and I just hope I haven't freaked them out too much with my public profile. Does anyone have any words of wisdom in helping your kids through this?

Hi Sandra and welcome to a wonderful site. I am sure many folks with come along with advice on how the help the kids. My only kid was 36 at the time of my diagnosis and I think he dove into denial ... so I am not the one to speak to that subject. If you fill out a profile with all your information it will help tell us about you and keep you from having to answer the same questions over and over. Do you have non-small cell or small cell cancer? What are your chemo cocktails made of, etc. etc. etc.

Sandra:

I'll bet they're mighty proud of their mom! Gives them a great example of how to meet a difficult challenge head-on.

Welcome to the group. Please give us some more details about your condition in a profile like you see at the bottom of our messages. Click on My Profile above, scroll down to the Signature block, enter/update your information, scroll down further, ensure Always attach my signature is marked Yes, and click Submit at the very bottom.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Sandra-

Welcome to the board. So sorry you had to find yourself here. You will find a lot of hope and information here.

How old are your children? My son is 15 and has started a blog on cancergrief.com under Nicks world where he is looking to "hook" up on the computer with other kids whose parents have lung cancer. He is more than willing to talk via e-mail or IM to any kids of any age. I know how difficult it is with kids, especially in the beginning. We tried taking Nick to a support group but the entire group was girls with moms who had breast cancer and he said he couldn't relate to them. Check your local hospital, etc. to see if they have any kids group - where we took Nick they had groups for small children and then groups for teens.

Keep us updated on how things go - sounds like you have a GREAT attitude - and that is so important.

Hugs - Patti B.