We need info from those of you that have had lobectomies

cat127

Hey folks. I'm at Kelly's house now. We are to be at the hospital at 11:30 tomorrow morning. Just late enough in the morning for that caffeine-withdrawal headache to set in! Thanks for the well wishes and I will be by to update tomorrow. Thank you all for all the prayers and for all the help you gave Kelly!

I let Kelly know what everyone said, she's very grateful for all your support and prayers. She kept busy today with two of our three brothers coming over and spending most of the late afternoon and evening with her. Our other sister is in town from Philly as well, so we were one brother shy of a full family. :)

Hi Kelly...In Sept 2007 I was diagnosed with lung cancer as a 1.0CM nodule was found in my upper left lung. After a PT Scan, seeing a pulmonologist who claimed that I was stage 1A and felt that by removing the upper left hand lobe,I had a wonderful chance to beat this disease. On Dec 7, a thoracic surgeon removed my upper left lobe of my lung. The surgeon also removed the lymph nodes and fortunately they were found to be cancer free, so I do not have to take further treatments of any kind. Might mention I am also a 5 year prostate cancer survivor, so do have a little experience. As of today, I am feeling excellent. I go to gym 3 to 4 mornings a week and do approx. 30 to 40 minutes on the treadmill. I still do not do any heavy lifting. I did have a lot of discomfort, but nothing that percocet or sometimes two tylenol could not take care of. I had an excellent surgeon who has done this VAT Laproscopic surgery many, many times. This is very important that you have an experienced surgeon. Also very important is that you maintain a positive attitude through it all. I know how difficult this can be, but you will get through a lot better with an attitude that says you can do this and you will be fine. I spent 5 days in the hospital recuperating. Decided quickly that if the food in the hospital did not kill me, than nothing the doctors could do would. Contacting the wonderful people on this site is a great beginning as their support and the support of my wife, children and friends was the best thing in the world. We will be thinking about and if there is anything else we can say or do that will be of help please let me know. My wife, Inez and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Stay positive, be your own advocate, keep good records and keep fighting and not give up.