Latest Chemo Symptoms ---- FAT!

twodogs

Since entering into this latest series of treatments I've been on several different cocktail formulas. The latest is Abraxane and Carboplatin along with the usual complementary prep and flush bags. I've been on it for a few months now and have really noticed my weight increasing.

Early on, 2003-2004, I dropped about 50 pounds I didn't think I'd ever get back and now I'm going tubby.

For a year or so I was hanging in around 167-170. Then I took a jump to 174-175 and I was good with that. Recently I noticed that my neck and jowls as well as my belly were expanding, 36-38, and I'm running around 186#'s. It's been a rather sudden gain and that put the fear in me because the neck swelling is a prime symptom for SVC.

The Doc and the nurses tell me it's common with these drugs and my CAT scans are showing nothing other than the regular areas of concern. I know my diet, especially during the Holidays is neither healthy nor disciplined but this seemed pretty sudden to me.

Anyone else ever get on this see-saw?

John

Have Happy New Years (MANY)

I'm in your club, John. Although it's been close to 3 years since my last 'cocktail', starting at that point, I have continually gained. I would say I'm up a good 20+ closer to 25 lbs. Boy am I looking for something to blame it on. But I DO think that carbo changed my metablolism somewhat. So let's go with that, huh?

Kasey

Kasey,

Thanks for the reply. While reading it I happened to glance up and notice that I'd added Celebrex to my regime about a month and a half ago. Now I've got another element to add to the puzzle. Maybe it's metabolism and Celebrex for me.

I also wanted to include that last summer I decided to get rid of all my "fat pants". Being a good Samaritan I took them to the local thrift store and dropped them off. I am now buying new ones and replacing all the ones I gave away. "No good deed goes unpunished". At least this time I'll save the "skinny's" longer than I did the "fat's".

I not only forgot to include that pants thing in my last post, but I prepared this same response about an hour ago and forgot to send it and had to recreate it.

Between chemo brain and early Alzheimer's a guy sure can make a lot of work for himself.

John

All of my life I was the skinny girl. I could eat anything that I wanted and never worry about gaining weight. Now I have put on 40+ pounds. I also bought a lazy boy recliner which was/is so comfortable that I kind of forget to do anything but recline and enjoy the heated massage. I got out of the chair and joined the gym. Have not lost any weight yet, but I do plan to. I want to be slim, trim and healthy by the time I retire in July.

Carol

Carol,

Congratulations on your Nov NED. I just joined in late Dec and had to go back and check the LC Dictionary the make sure it meant what I thought. I love signatures like yours--not too long and with a happy ending. Of course you were a "IIA" and I am a "IIIB" but people on the site say not to pay attention to the statistics that go with the codes.

I am just beginning treatment (looking at my fourth next Tue) and have gained five pound since I started in November. I've complained because I just lost fifteen pounds before Dx (using that dictionary again!) and people keep saying not to worry, I'll need that weight. I really don't believe it and it sounds like lots of people are struggling with weight issues at various stages of LC. For me it's not exercising--I'm afraid to use the total gym that I really love but it's no excuse. I could walk for exercise. It tough when I'm having to prioritize how to use what energy I have between chemos. Need to talk to my oncologist about the total gym.

Hang in there with the exercise. I exercised for years with no weight loss but when the exercise became habit and I started watching what I ate (I used Weight Watches online), it started coming off. It was slow but steady. I really want to get motivated before I gain back more than I want to think about losing--again.

Judy

I gained weight too during treatment.

For me, I think it was a combination of the inactivity because I didn't feel well (recovery from surgery and then chemo), and also not smoking anymore.

The anxiety of it all also caused me to eat more than I did before. I used to try to handle anxiety with smoking more and that was not an option anymore.

Anyway, during treatment I gained weight, and didn't really have any success in losing it for another year, despite getting a lot of exercise.

It was only when I decided to eat less, and continue to exercise that I lost weight. I did the South Beach Diet and had success. I previously did WeightWatchers with success. These programs work if you follow them.

Right now I need to get back at it...too many cookies for Christmas and too little time in the gym!

Cindy

I quit smoking years ago but initially my gain was because I feed naseau. Also, I've never been a big bread eater but I started craving tea and toast--an old comfort combo from childhood. Right now, though, it's more the inactivity AND too many cookies and candy from the holiday. I've cut them back but not out for several days and guess I need to just stop. Easier said than done!

When I was first diagnoses, I had lost a lot of weight. I thought it was become I would eat grapefruit every night before I went to bed and a friend of mine told me that grapefruit is one of the best fat burners. Well, it turned ou that I had lost all that weight because of the cancer!!

Since I started treatment 15 months ago, I have gained A LOT of weight back and then some. My onc jokingly told me that he expects me to ask for diet pills soon. But, he also told me that gaining weight is a good sign - cancer makes you lose weight and just gaining weight is a really good sign!! My first CAT scan after 3 cycles of chemo I had gained 4 pounds and he said don't even need to look at the scan - you gained weight!!

So - I guess we have to be fat and happy and healthy!! I figure the stores sell bigger clothes and its better than the alternative!!

Patti: I really like that perspective. Guess I'll hold onto this weight and maybe even more until my next CT/PET. The first CT after 2 chemos was stable. Now I wish I'd gained more weight. Maybe it would have shown improvement. I really mean it. I need positive thinking right now and this gives me another positive to hold onto.