Question on Chemotherapy

Bruce u

Today I had my 2nd round of chemotherapy, Cisplatin/Vinerolbine. A couple minutes after they inserted the Vinerolbine in the IV by needle, I had alot of pain in both my kidneys. It was a constant pain but every minute or so a very severe stabbing pain in each kidney. They decreased the flow of the IV. Then the pain seemed to radiate to the lower spine. The pain eased off after 10 minutes and they gave me Tylenol 3's for pain and continued on with the treatment. Has anyone else had this reaction ? My only reaction from the 1st round was a headache for a few days.

Bruce,

Ouch! Sorry about this experience. I think the 'bine's (Vinorelbine, Navelbine) have to be given in a specific period of time. Something like 10 minutes, if I remember correctly. Tony had Navelbine and never experienced this reaction.

Vinorelbine is also a moderate vesicant, so it can cause some irritation to the arm that it's being given in. Pay attention to that issue. A port was mandated for my husband when he went on Navelbine, for safety purposes. Are you sporting a port?

Hope the third time is the charm for you and it doesn't happen again. Good luck Bruce and hoping for great success with this regimen.

Welthy

Thanks for the replies everyone. They did inject the Vinerolbine over a 10 minute period. They then started a saline drip through the IV and that is when the pain started. I am just using IV to receive the chemo. I am only scheduled to receive 4 rounds on a 21 day cycle with Cisplatin/Vinerolbine on day 1 and just Vinerolbine on day 8.

Bruce,

I don't know if this can be done with Vinorelbine, but Tony received his Navelbine through one of those tiny bags and I think it would be more diluted than a syringe push. Saline follow-up is standard. Check with your onc's office to see if a small bag, infused over 10 minutes, might be a solution. Are they giving you any pre-meds? I think he also had benedryl in a "goodie bag" prior to infusion.

Best of luck,

Welthy