Bummed About Iressa

Angie

My dad has been on chemo since mid-May. The doctor feels it's time to stop, for now anyway. From the last CT scan, there was a little fluid build up, which may mean more cancer cells. We will know more on Monday when we get the results of the PET scan. I was hoping the doctor would offer Iressa, but said the drug has been a disaster with patients. He said that the results were the same in patients with plecebos, but A LOT of side effects, so would not prescribe for my dad. I was so bummed. I thought this would be the way to go. The doctor then talked about the benefits of Celebrex (arthritis drug) and Lung Cancer. He will try this for a while until he can start chemo again in a few months. My dad tolerated chemo so well, that I'm glad he'll be able to start again later. I don't think his doctor feels that it will make too much of a difference, but it has held his cancer stable for six months, so why not try again!!

I'd be curious if any of your doctors have mentioned Celebrex?

Angie,

I know Buddy's new onc feels that if nothing major is happening with the chemo such as good shrinkage and one has been on chemo for a while, the body needs to heal some before starting over. He made the comment that if the cancer is stable, let it sleep and should it wake up, start the chemo again. One's body can only take so much chemo.

Also, some people on here have had great results with Iressa while other had terrible problems. I think, but not sure, that they only give Iressa when all else does not seem to be working and sometimes Iressa is the saving miracle. Others have spoke of Celebrex. I should think that if one wants Iressa then they should have the right to try it if that is the point that they are at whether the dr agrees or not. I have also been reading a lot about tomatoes. I am having buddy drink a lot of tomato juice. It seems cancer hates tomatoes...

Iressa has held my cancer stable. I have been on it now for a little over three months, The only side effects I am having are the acne-like rash on my face and on my legs--I have quit shaving them because they are so sensitive. (Good thing shorts season is over!) My doctor told me that Iressa has held some people stable for over 2 years (and it hasn't been around at all much longer than that!) I guess I think your dad's doctor is misled about the effects and side effects of Iressa. It may not be the best thing for your dad, but I would ask him about it again and get better reasons than he gave.

Good luck,

Becky

I took Iressa for a little over two months as part of a trial for suppressive therapy. Due to side effects, I was removed from the trial and stopped taking the drug. My oncologist told me he had only one patient that presented with a worse rash than mine, someone with an active tumor. He gave her a one month break from the Iressa and when he put her back on, she did not have the side effects. He said that for my care, should I need the Iressa in the future, he would not hesitate to try again as the original side effects may no longer be a problem.

...and Becky, as for shaving your legs, maybe you won't have to. I actually had hair loss with Iressa beginning just before ending it...not total hair loss, but the hair on my body/face were few and faaaaaaaaaaarrr between....

I wouldn't NOT try anything that MIGHT work. Everyone's body and everyone's cancers are different....

Becky

aka Snowflake

Angie,

I was under the impression that Celebrex was taken during chemo and made the chemo more effective. I may be remembering incorrectly (not the first time that's happened!).

I think you should do your own research on Iressa. While it's true it doesn't work for everyone, it's great to be in the minority it does work for. When it works, it works, so what's the harm in trying?

Angie,

I asked my oncologist about Iressa when my tumors started growing several months after chemo and she was very negative about it. I knew that I wanted to do something other than chemo if possible and so I went up to Cedars-Sinai in Beverly Hills (100 miles from home). I had a consultation and learned more about my cancer and my options in 2 hours than I had over the year plus since diagnosis. My doctor at CS has been involved with lung cancer forever and he explained some of the problems with Iressa related to not having waited long enough after chemo to start it (4 weeks, I think).

At any rate, I am in a clinical trial involving Iressa and/or ZD6474. It is not a last ditch drug. It can reduce tumors and it can keep them stable or it can not work. We all know that there is no pat answer...otherwise we wouldn't be floundering around in different treatments. If a doctor is negative about a treatment that you are interested in, I think it is his/her obligation to direct you to a doctor who can inform about and possibly get you into that program. Before Iressa was approved, it was available on a compassionate basis (I think that was the term used - available to someone because all other avenues had failed) and maybe that's where it got that reputation.

Be proactive and follow what your instincts tell you about helping your Dad in this battle.

Peace and blessings,

Margaret

I am a patient of Dr. Joan Schiller, U of Wisc Comprehensive Cancer Center. She holds Iressa as one of the best drugs for lung cancer. She, however, prefers to reserve Iressa, in lieu of other drugs. I return on November 25 to be presented with clinical trial possibilities to combat the mets to my liver. For the moment I have chosen clinic trials over Iressa or standard chemo therapy. Choosing clinical trials has allowed me more options down the road. Choosing Iressa, or standard chemo, would eliminate me from clinical trial possibilities because many clinical trials require that there be no previous treatment.

Personaly, I believe in clinical trials and believe that even Phase III studies can be beneficial. I chose the Univ of Wisconsin because of its reputation in medical research and that it is convenient for me as I live 45 miles from the Cancer Center. I would definitely recommend that you get a second opinion concerning this decision. No drug is 100% effective for all patients and Iressa is no different. In comparison, however, Iressa has been showing good results and the fact that the FDA approved its usage, across the board, before all trials were complete, speaks well of the respect FDA has for the drug.

Angie,

Regarding Celebrex, there was a study that showed that patients who took 400 mg/2 x day while having Carbo/Taxol chemo had significantly more tumor shrinkage than those who had chemo alone. There is also some evidence (I can't cite anything in particular, since I've read so much) that Celebrex alone might help cancer patients, but the evidence is anecdotal and somewhat theoretical.

Since I had a fair amount of joint pain from my Carbo/Taxol treatments, my onc had no objection when I suggested adding Celebrex to the mix. He was familiar with the studies done, thought there might be some flaws, but saw no harm in prescribing it anyway. I take 200 mg/2 x day, and continue now even though chemo is over for the moment.

As far as Iressa is concerned, it's my understanding that it helps a relatively small percentage of advanced NSCLC patients, but when it works, it *really* works. Whether a patient is one of the lucky ones usually is evident within 3 or 4 weeks.

The significant potential side effects are diarrhea and an acne-like rash, but not everyone is affected. One of the big advantages that doctors touted when Iressa was approved is that it had significantly fewer side effects than chemo, and that they were totally reversible when the drug was stopped.

As soon as my now-stable disease shows any sign of progression, my onc is putting me on Iressa. There is a clinical trial, in the final stages of development, that I will get involved with if the trial is ready when I show progression. It will pit Iressa against another agent, that apparently shows much more promise than Iressa in late stage NSCLC.

Question your onc! I haven't heard "too many side effects" about Iressa, just the opposite!

Barbara

Thank you all so much for your responses. I will print all of your replies for my dad to read. It sounds like my dad could benefit from a second opinion. I'm glad Iressa is working for for some of you...that's GREAT!!! There are so many doctors, so many opinions. It's too bad that there's not just one solution for everyone!!! Again, thank you so much for your replies....it's much appreciated. I keep all of you in my prayers.