Brain mets

jennifer s

Jennifer,

My husband developed a single large brain met last April. It was surgically removed, then he had a month of whole brain radiation treatments.

The surgery was a relative breeze - really, no major recovery issues at all. Recovery from the radiation has been another matter - it's been pretty difficult. He struggled for about 12 weeks after the radiation ended with neurological side effects like severe fatigue and loss of appetite. For the 3 months after that, he has been much better, but still has limited energy.

The benefits of having brain mets removed (if feasible) are: 1.) Any neuro symptoms are usually relieved pretty quickly. 2.) The majority of studies that look at long term survivors of brain mets seem to indicate that surgical resection is a common factor in many of those cases.

Good luck, hope this helped a little.

Jennifer,

Hi, my name is Heather and I had Whole brain radiation in Sept. and it did not do anything to the tumor. I talked to my Onc. and he suggested have surgery in Nov. I also have had more problems with the radiation then the surgery as Mary Colleen husband. I still have my issue of being tired, my head hurts(my skin), and loss of appetite. The only problems I still have from the surgery is a little speech issues and sometimes understanding with numbers. It hasn't been long since everything has happened but I feel the surgery was the thing to do. I could have done without whole brain radiation. If you have any question just ask if I did not make any since.

Don point is a good one. Cyber knife is a good option, if it fits your case.

Another thing I should tell you: I didn't mean to diminish your willingness to do WBR, if that is appropriate for you. It can be a very hard treatment for many, but studies do generally indicate that it greatly reduces your chances of a having a brain recurrence in the future.

Mary

Jennifer,

My husband Alan had 1 large brain met back in july 2005.

Surgery was not an option for Alan, so he had WBR and

15 IMRT treatments. Alan does have some minors issues with memory,

hearing and his balance is off a bit, but at the same

time his MRI's have been clear ever since which is 2.5 years now.

Prayers that whatever the treatment is it will be successful.

My mom had a single brain met resected last June. She really had no choice because it was growing and causing her brain to swell, so it had to be removed. We felt extremely lucky that it was isolated and able to be taken out. Like someone else mentioned, the recovery was a piece of cake (especially compared to the recovery of her lung surgery!). In August she had WBR. Her side effects were fatigue and loss of appetite, but it didn't last that long. She may have some short-term memory issues now, but nothing major. The doctors were very persistent that she should have the WBR to reduce the chances of a recurrence. The first CT scan she had after chemo (just a few weeks ago) showed a spot on her skull. We are now awaiting results from a PET scan to see what that spot was. We are praying hard that it was just some scar tissue.

Good luck with your surgery; I hope this info. helps you some.

Maryea