PET Scan results

Remembering Dave

Well I have good news and bad news. Actually not sure which is which at this point. For the good news/bad news The Pet Scan still shows activity in the mid lung, could beresidual tumor or scar tissue, it showed something in the spine-T-12 which could be arthritis or degenerative, And a lymph node in the pelvis is a little hot. Since this is the first PET Scan I have had We will have to wait until I get another one done to compare against this one.

Now for the Bad news--I feel like absolute crap. I had the PET Scan done on Monday. And felt like crap that day but I just figured it was because I had not eaten anything from 7:30 in the morning until 4:00 in the afternoon but actually I realize I started feeling bad on Sunday. I went to the Doc on Tuesday and they did a work up on my blood but nothing showed wrong. I have never felt like this, even during chemo and radiation and believe it or not even when I was on the Oh so dreaded steroids. I am just so week and sore and numb. I cannot ever remember feeling this way. The nurse said I might have some kind of virus which is making me feel this way. Has anyone else felt this way after all treatments have been over and done with for a few months?? If it was not for the relatively good PET Scan results I would be convinced that, well you can guess what else might cause this pain. God Bless you all. I do read the posts and you are all in my prayers.

David C

Dave, good to hear the hopefull news regarding the PET scan. Hopefully the spots that showed a little hot are no more than that. Your symptoms that you talk about are kinda troublesome or they would be to me. I too felt alot like this after being NED. I tried to relate them to my Dr. but he always reffered back to the long road of treatment and radiation i had been on. I found it very difficult after a while to distinguish what i should be feeling and what i shouldnt be feeling. I know there were alot of days i just felt like plain crap ! No other way to explain it. My energy level never did quite get back to par. For that matter it didnt get better at all. Dave some of what your feeling may possibly be from the PCI. I know we have discussed this together before and both agree that it was alot worse than we expected.Hopefully what you have been feeling is merely just the result of all the treatments and your body trying to readjust. Really it sounds as if your Dr. is on it. I wish i could offer more insight on this but i cant. I knw my thoughts are with you and Karen and the little one. You have been there for me more than once. Keep us posted dave and i hope you get feeling better.

Your Friend

Greg

Greg, thank you so much for your words of wisdom. You may be right that this is just a result of all the hellish treatments we have been through. I was feeling pretty good last week and went back to work part time. Saturday I ran a few errands and Karen thinks I just overdid it but I really did not do that much. Maybe I did and this is the result, hard to tell. Again, thanks for the support and by the way.....great picture, those are good looking kids.

David C

David, my Dad felt not really good as well after PCI, a private oncologist said, the side effects still persist for a while after all treatments are completed. Previously, my Dad didn't cough during Chemo & Chest Radiation treatment, but after that, he coughs continously and sometimes severely. Sometimes, he felt very tired and I could observe, when I compare his health condition, he felt better during treatment rather than after-treatment. I think some side effects may appear now. So hang in there and this bad feeling may pass very soon.

You are always in my prayers and thought. Don't worry too much.

I'm not sure if its the same thing, but I picked up some bug from my son last June and it kicked my butt hard, I felt worse then I had during chemo, I could barely sit upright I was so weak & forget about eating. It finally started to loosen up and then I was on antibiotics for a bad tooth & that seemed to kick it the rest of the way.

Hope your feeling better soon & that your follow ups stay clear.

Hey, Dave I just had a flu shot and it kicked my butt! I also already had an ear infection which was doing the same! Now I'm on antibotics and other stuff... the onc. gave me as a last treatment sorta.. 3 shots of procret and that really helped. He said my white blood cell count was down but with infections I wouldn't doubt it.. lol

I hope you get your energy back soon! God Bless you a hundred fold!!

wenna

Hi, this is Karen, Dave's wife.

We're pretty sure he has a virus. He had his blood completely tested last week since he felt so bad, his counts were OK, and nothing else showed up, so the nurses told him it must be a virus. Well, yesterday, Sunday, one week later, he had a temp of 100.5 (which is really high for him) and still feels bad - like the flu but not as bad a full blown flu. I have to think it is just a virus, and a "normal" person (one who hasn't had chemo and radiation recently) would kick it in a day.

Hi, Greg - yep he had a flu shot, maybe a month ago, but he also had a pneumonia shot at his oncologist's advice, and I think that was just last Friday. Hmmm.

Another thought on the hot lymph node in his pelvic area. He had posted about this, but a couple of weeks ago he had that procedure where the interventional radiologist punctured a large vein in his groin and ran a wire up to his portacath, which had slipped out of place, and lassoed it back in place. I'd bet a winning lottery ticket that the lymph nodes down there are just responding to that trauma/healing process. Would love to hear input from anyone with experience with something like this.

We're seeing his pulmonary doc in about an hour about the fluid around his lung and heart. I hope he concurs with the oncologist - that is just some pleural effusion from the radiation and will go away with time.

Just my two cents as a semi-observant spouse (only semi-observant because I'm juggling working full time, a two hour daily commute and a toddler who needs surgery soon herself!)

Best to all,

Karen C.

Guest Karen C

Ginny,

Faith was born with an extra thumb on her right hand. We were going to have it removed earlier this year but then WHAM Dave was diagnosed our pediatrician advised us to wait until he was better so we could focus on one big thing at a time . . . she also has a huge, raised welt looking scar about four inches long on her left hip and we'd like to get that fixed at the same time so she can look as good as she can in her bikini when she's 18 years old!

Coping - well, ask Dave. He thinks I'm not coping so well. I only have a break down - where I either cry or yell - about once a week. That's not so bad, is it? :twisted:

Take care!

Karen C.

Dear Karen,

I am so happy that darling Faith is just having a little nip and tuck.

Coping, I don't know what I am doing. It seems the last few days Earl has been testing my 'wait on me hand and foot' attitude. I know he his very sick but I think he is having a major league pity party and it breaks my heart to see him so down.

Except he was not even a little bit down when the Eagles won yesterday.

Karen, yell, cry or go shopping. Being a caregiver is tough work.

Fondly,

Ginny

Guest Karen C.

Ginny,

I have to yell or cry because I don't have time to go shopping!

Know about you mean about waiting on them. I'm never sure when I should or when I need to. You wanna help but you don't wanna smother.

Guess this is a discussion for the caregivers forum, ha.!

Yes, little Faith is getting nipped and tucked. Poor darling. Makes me love her all the more. She's half princess, half monkey, that kid. She'll be a princess recovering from this surgery. We'll do it when we know Dave is feeling better as I'm out of time off with pay for the year. When Dave's up to it he'll be HER caregiver for a week or so!

Take care,

Karen C.

HI Karen, this is mike's wife Windy i know how u are feeling. i have a little boy i'v had him since he was 8 wk's old he is my nephew he is 8 now and is mr and he getting harder 2 handle for us he know us as mom and dad. i have a 13old boy well he will be14 on thankgiving day he just made the basketball team we are happy2go 2 all the games.and dustin is 17 he just got his license and his frist accident with his farther truck he is ok thank god the plow truck is not ,he hit a tree.michael my oldest son has my grandson michael the 3rd he is 2 and another son due in march my daughter she gave us 2 beautiful little girls danielle 8 loreal 5 my daughter has 2 go in for surgery i will take care of the girls for her till she get better she has a tumor that has 2 come out.i'm not working im disabled because of my back and feet.in lot's of pain all the time.i have lots of dr.appointments billy has dr appointment and mike's appointments thair no more time .went 2 mike dr today he had 2 be thair for 10:15 they called us in at 1:30 they said sorry your dr is outwe waited all this time 2 hear some news and got sorry1hr drive1 wayi'm so sorry i find my self crying or praying all the time i hope u can read this icant spell and im new at this o in case u dont know what mr is it's mentally retarded i cry yell or pray every dayi wish this night mare will just goaway i dont understand it all u know they say god dont give u more than u can handle well i hope he dont give us anymore windy

Guest Karen C

Windy,

I had to read your post twice but I definitely understood you. You have way more on your shoulders than I do on mine. OK, I don't see how YOU do it!

I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself (this is for Dave's benefit) but sometimes it's just HARD and a little venting helps get me through the day.

Windy, you are a saint to take care of all these people, especially your eight year old nephew. I don't believe God gives us more than we can handle, so remember that and keep plugging on.

Is your daughter going to be OK? I sure hope her tumor is benign. you don't need two family members with this awful disease.

I think you're a saint. Hang in there.

God Bless,

Karen C.

My husband has been finished with treatment and radiation for about 3.5 weeks now and every other day or so he feels terrible. He worked full time while in treatment but now he is having a very hard time. CT scans show stable disease and no new mets but he is dragging. His blood levels are really low now and especially the platelets so I know that is a big part of it. He has been in treatment since June of 2002 and two months ago was the first time he ever went through radiation. I think that may be the difference. He felt fine during the treatments but now it is very rough. I never know from one day to the next if he is going to be fine or if he is going to be close to wanting to be hospitalized. It is a crazy roller coaster. Onc says it is just his body recovering from a hard chemo. He had Adriamyacin for 4 rounds.

Colleen, wife of Bill

My husband has been finished with treatment and radiation for about 3.5 weeks now and every other day or so he feels terrible. He worked full time while in treatment but now he is having a very hard time. CT scans show stable disease and no new mets but he is dragging. His blood levels are really low now and especially the platelets so I know that is a big part of it. He has been in treatment since June of 2002 and two months ago was the first time he ever went through radiation. I think that may be the difference. He felt fine during the treatments but now it is very rough. I never know from one day to the next if he is going to be fine or if he is going to be close to wanting to be hospitalized. It is a crazy roller coaster. Onc says it is just his body recovering from a hard chemo. He had Adriamyacin for 4 rounds.

Colleen, wife of Bill