Mom's Scans (MRI & CT)

LolasDaughter

Hi All,

Mom had her CT scan and MRI at The Clinic today. As it's been some time since I posted, I thought I would use an update my dad sent out to family and friends just a short time ago:

Well, it has been six weeks since my last update when Lola finished her radiation treatments. She's been through a tough ordeal of fatigue, lots of coughing and phlegm, and two bouts of pleurisy which is a very painful irritation of the outer layer of the lungs and the inside of the chest cavity. Monday she began feeling much better. The stamina is coming back, the pleurisy has passed, the coughing has subsided, and the phlegm is much more manageable. Today was tests and doctor visits at the Cleveland Clinic.

The cat scan showed that the chemo and radiation are doing their job on the tumor and preventing the spread of the cancer to other organs of her body. However, the MRI showed that the cancer was able to metastasize to the brain. She has a nickel sized tumor at its base. She has not had any symptoms from it. We'll return to the Clinic tomorrow and she'll be outfitted for two weeks of brain radiation which will begin on Monday. This will include treatment for this tumor and preventive radiation for the remainder of her brain. We knew that chemotherapy is not effective for the brain and this is why the preventative radiation had already been discussed. Unfortunately, the cancer got there before preventative measures could be started.

I would again ask for your prayers that this treatment regimen is effective. Your prayer support is crucial to us as we continue down this road. Lola's verse that she used today and we'll continue to recite is

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

And so though the news was not what we expected, we are hopeful as Mom starts this next phase in her treatment.

Nicole

Nicole, All and all things don't sound toooo bad, but I wasn't happy to hear about the brain mets. HOWEVER, they can ZAP them away and she will be just fine when they are gone bye bye!!! :wink: She will regain her strength and the tiredness will get better as will the coughing and phlem issues. It takes time.

So, at this time, I am going to pray for an empty head for mom (Lola)!!

Give mom and dad a hug from me, and let them know I'm cheering for her. She can do this! I know she can!! (((((((((((Nicole and Lola)))))))))))

Thank you for the prayers and encouraging words! Connie B - we ALL (Mom, Dad and I) enjoyed your SCLC 'success stories' - thank you! I appreciate your encouragement and upbeat attitude.

Mom remains positive and hopeful and her faith holds her in 'good stead'. Through it all, God is good and most importantly, in control!

Nicole

((((Nicole))))

I am so sorry for these results. Your mom is such a fighter, though, I know she can get through this. And, of course, she has you by her side.

Will be praying for an easy time with the radiation. I always look for you and your mom when I am at Taussig - keep hoping I can meet the two of you in person.

Hugs to you and mom - Patti B