Accuracy of CT scans

kimblanchard

I am beginning to doubt the accuracy of CT scans since some of you seen to have had readings of NO DISEASE and soon after have a PET scan that lights up like a Christmas tree. Seems like the scan is missing something or the radiaologist needs his eyes examined. Makes on wonder if a clear ct scan is cause for celebration. Greg and Becky especially, my heart goes out to you because you are so young. Hang in there and God bless

Plus, to add to the confusion, PET scan results that "light up", can also be wrong. It could be an infection or something else that causes it. Or if they don't light up, it could be because it's too small. It's so tough when they don't have 100% accurate tests. I guess using a combo of them all is the answer (and having more than one doc read them).

That is exactly what happened with my mom. All this time, her chest CTs and X-Rays were clear, but they haven't checked the abdomen since she was first diagnosed in July 2002. Now she went to a new doc at my aunt's hospital, and right away he suspected ascites and asked why my mom took so long to have it checked out.

A CT can detect differences in the density of tissues, which can be caused by tumors, cysts, scarring, abscesses, and a host of other things. A PET detects differences in metabolic rate - so inflamed joints, etc., will also "light up" on the scan. A CT is usually used first, then the PET. They do complement each other, but neither is perfect, to be sure. And, as others have said, you've gotta scan the right body part, obviously.

I have had bone scans and brain scans but just found out last week that the chest scans included the adrenal glands but not the liver. That is ordered for early Dec. The place I go is installing a machine that does CT and PET similtaniously but the radiation oncologist said unless the pneumonitis had cleard up by then, they would only do the ct scan. Again thanks for all your information.

John, You are EXACTLY right mentioning lungs only as a final word about being NED. This is why i FIRMLY believe a PET scan should be done prior to being declared NED or cancer free. When i was declared NED in Aug. this was based on a ct scan of my lungs. This was wrong. I hadnt had a ct of abdomine/pelvis since May. I now suggest to everyone especially with a Limited stage diagnosis with small cell to get a PET scan no matter what. You may have to fight the Dr. but it will be worth it. Even if PET scans are not 100 %. I would rather have something come up as a false positive than not show up at all. False positives are easily corrected and or dismissed. An imcompetent Dr. will cost you your life. Or, at the very least shorten it considerably. Thanks for the post !

Regards

Greg

I learned this year that a CT can be messed up by the techinian who really does not thoroughly understand the machine. they have to be able to set it to take "slices" every so many millimeters so that it is all done on the same " picture" and the closer the pictures slices the more info . I had a tech last winter that kept telling me to take a deep breath and hold it , over and over. For the radiologist to piece all those " slices' to gether , for you never take exactly the same breath, it is a mess. I was told to get it repeated in 3 months. It was at that check up the tech told me they had fired the prior one for she did not know what she was doing.