Going back to work????

AnneM

Hey everyone,

Is anyone out there who is still in active treatment working? I was diagnosed in June and have not worked since. Right now, I've had 2 CTs where I have been stable. My back is much better, although it gets sore when I do too much and I feel generally okay. My leave hours will be up at the end of April and I'll need to either go back to work or have my doctor sign the permanently disablity form I think. I feel I could go back to work part time. The problem is that I have a feeling of dread that something may happen and I'll just have to leave work again. Also, I have a 2 year old home during the day and I want to spend the time I have with her. On the other hand, it would be helpful to the family to bring in a little more money. I'm conflicted.

Anne

Hi Anne. I can definitely appreciate your conflicted feeling. I have been back to work for a bit now, about 2 weeks after my final chemo. For me it was a matter of sanity as I am not a homebody. I actually really love my job. I would totally understand why others would not make that choice. I went back before knowing whether or not my 1st line treatment had been successful or not, because I knew I just had to, one way or another. My job does not stress me out at all, it gives me joy, just interacting with other professional people and all my friends at work. I haven't gone back full time though, although am pretty close to that. And my attitude at work is way different. I have nothing to prove to anyone...have been there, done that. I HATE the fact though that I am now am on partial LTD...really bothers me...but I need to get over that, and just give what I can give which quite frankly is good enough. My work attitude has definitely changed for the better. I am so glad to see someone else faced with same decision as I. And I know there are others who have gone back to work successfully. We all need to make our own choices. Best of luck to you.

You are eligible for Social Security disability payments if that helps you make up your mind. You should apply right away if you haven't' already. They will back pay you to the eligibility date. If you have long term disability insurance through your employer and decide not to return you could apply for that also. You should also get Social Security for your dependent children. So if the only reason to return is money then don't do it as you may make more staying home.

For us, our doctor told my husband only to go back to work if it made him happy to do so-- it didn't-- so he stayed on disability. Fighting cancer can be a full time job with all the appointments, tests, and treatments. Let us know what you decide to do.

Rochelle

Hi Anne, In 04 I had chemo for 3 months then went back to work after 3 more months. I needed to work because my husband is self employed and I covered the insurance at my factory. I had disability pay at work for 6mths. In 06 cancer came back. I went on Tarceva/Avastin. I filed for FMLA (FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT) at work because I missed at least 2 to 3 days because of the treatments.

I felt as long as I worked and tried to keep a normal life the cancer isn't going to win. The FMLA ran out,I had to go on government disability and stop working because it got to be to hard. Now I'm thinking the time I have left I want to spend it at home doing the things I want to do. I know what we're going through is like a rollercoaster ride. The best thing to do is to hang on!!!! I try to laugh and smile everyday cause lifes to short. Thats the way I think today tomorrow it might change! Best wishes!

Dannnie

Hi Anne,

I never stopped working,only took days off when really necessary like a couple of days after my chemo cycle or days I had scans and appointments. I have pain in my back and legs as well and believe me I wish I could stay home most mornings. They were laying off heavily in my company since it is involved in the mortgage business and I was afraid I would lose my job. I do get tired later in the day and don't have as much ambition as I use to but it does take my mind of hurting and feeling bad. You have a lot with the children let alone working full time. Possibly part time might be okay, but don't push yourself too much. Save your strength for fighting this disease and playing with your beautiful children. They grow too fast to let this precious time go by.

"AnneM"]Hey everyone,

Is anyone out there who is still in active treatment working? I was diagnosed in June and have not worked since. Right now, I've had 2 CTs where I have been stable. My back is much better, although it gets sore when I do too much and I feel generally okay. My leave hours will be up at the end of April and I'll need to either go back to work or have my doctor sign the permanently disablity form I think. I feel I could go back to work part time. The problem is that I have a feeling of dread that something may happen and I'll just have to leave work again. Also, I have a 2 year old home during the day and I want to spend the time I have with her. On the other hand, it would be helpful to the family to bring in a little more money. I'm conflicted.

Anne

Agree with everything Ry said. My husband dx 2006 and then went back to work, wanted too but then recurrence Aug. 07, so then he could not anymore.

He was the principal bread winner but I work also. We applied for ss disability in Sept. 07 and it started in Dec. 07 with back pay, thank you Lord Jesus. Yes, our income is way less but we do not do all the extras that we used to do, so it all balances out. My work is wonderful, because I have flexible hours and can work from home when I need to be here for him.

He was just 2 years short(20 yrs. service) of his full retirement benefits, so he went ahead and retired, less benefit but it helps.

We are just enjoying our time together, even though he is not doing well, we still have a good time.

Sorry I rambled but stay home with your kids and enjoy every minute you have, because none of us know what tomorrow will bring. Kathy

I had chemo with the 2nd breast cancer. I teach school, and went back to work 6 weeks after the mastectomy. I had one treatment before returning to work. An elementary school teacher does not have much down time during the day and I came home exhausted. I was in bed by 7pm. And I had a a 12 year old at home. I was sacrificing my time with him to spend it with other people's children.

God interceded and sent me an obstacle which caused me to take leave and stay home for 3 months. I was able to pace myself through the day and we had pretty much a normal family life.

Everyone's experiences are different. You have to do what works best for you and your family. I just wanted to share mine.

gail

I say take the disability. My husband worked for the first 6 months from his diagnosis and then had a complication and was just too weak. We found out with SSD for him, SSD for the kids, and LTD, it wasn't that much of a hardship and he was able to spend more time with us and fighting this disease.

I was able to fill out the SSD forms online and he received approval very quickly.

This really is an individual decision, though. It needs to be what you think is best for your mental/physical well being. Take care.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I actually don't qualify for SSD because I don't pay into it. But I can receive disability benefits from my state teacher retirement system that I pay into...I just found this out today. I'm leaning toward taking the 3 months medical leave that I have left and then taking the disability. It's kind of a matter of feeling like I'm giving up, that I won't get better and be able to go back to work, and that I won't need the retirement money. I feel on the other hand that if I go back to work there will be some normalcy and I can just forget about the "c" word.

hello again. I agree with your thoughts on going back to work for some kind of normalcy and forgetting about the c word. I can tell you that it has helped for me. Takes my mind off it a bit...but definitely not as much as I had hoped it would. Don't go back if your work doesn't give you joy. If you can find peace and joy at home, then that is what I would recommend. Or just go back part time if you can. My problem is I am very stubborn and it is all or nothing for me. I also know that going back to work has had a positive impact on my family and friends. They figure if I have gone back to work then all is good and I am sure they worry less. So that alone is worth it. I don't like people worrying about me. I also hate the thought of being on LTD...feels like I have given up. But I am on partial LTD and just need to live with that. Best wishes to you in doing what is right for you.

First of all I have to say I love this board!!! I have been going through this same dilemma and I am so excited to find out that I could qualify for SS disability!

So here is my thinking on the work or no work -

I am on Tarceva which is easier to handle than regular chemo - but it does have it's side effects none the less. I went back to work 3 months after diagnosis - I teach preschool. I thought I would go crazy at home doing nothing, that giving up work was giving in to the cancer, that I wanted to keep my life "normal". But the problem is that my life is not normal. I don't have the energy I used to have. I teach until 3, come home and nap until dinner and then go to bed. That is not much of a life. On top of that I catch every thing the kids come to school with and so I am always sick. So I have been going back and forth with the decision of not going back in September. Family and friends seemed upset that I wanted to quit - like it meant I was giving up - but I see it as me saying - No - my life is too important to waste. I want to visit loved ones, garden, write, enjoy the beach, be with my kids. I have so much to live for and I want the energy and the time to do it. As far as the money - that is another issue - I do have 3 kids in college. But things will work out - I have faith that God will provide - and he does by bringing me here to this topic and finding out about disability! So I guess if you really love your job and you are not too tired to do it and still have time for the rest of your life great - but if it is taking away the quality of your life - pick your life!

Hi, I was diagnosed around the same time as you were. I did apply for SS disability and was approved. I loved my job but I worked in a Doctors office and the risk of getting sick was not worth it. If you have a stressfull job, don't go back! Attitude has everything to do with healing. You will survive and see your kids grow up, believe that, apply for SS and spend quality time with your family. Laughter is the best medicine and kids can provide so much of that, with little effort for them :D . Get the book, The Secret, by Rhonda Byrne, read it, believe it, it works! I haven't updated my profile, but I should. I have a PET scheduled for next month and I expect it to show that I am healthy. Never give up, live, laugh and love. Take Care.

I just wanted to share with everyone Anne's latest post that she doesn't qualify for SSD.

Hugs,

Connie

"AnneM"]Thanks for all of your thoughts. I actually don't qualify for SSD because I don't pay into it. But I can receive disability benefits from my state teacher retirement system that I pay into...I just found this out today. I'm leaning toward taking the 3 months medical leave that I have left and then taking the disability. It's kind of a matter of feeling like I'm giving up, that I won't get better and be able to go back to work, and that I won't need the retirement money. I feel on the other hand that if I go back to work there will be some normalcy and I can just forget about the "c" word.

Oh wow! I am so glad to have found this board....I have been out of work since 10/06 when I was diagnosed and some days I just want to go back and feel like normal. I too applied for and was approved for SSD. But, I guess this is my normal now. Some days I just feel trapped here at home, but the best part of it is that I am able to have more time with my 3yr old son, and have some time to just reflect on stuff in my life. And someone else mentioned here, the amount of days/time that would be needed for appointments, scans, treatments, etc. would probably be more days than work would be able to justify keeping me full time.

I like to think of getting better as my job right now. Hopefully we'll be able to get that done for all of us and get back into the game...a little stronger for our experiences now.

Anne,

It has been almost 2 years since my diagnosis and treatments started and I have worked full time the entire time with two medical leaves. One in October of '06 for my lower lobectomy (8 weeks)and the other for my adrenolectomy this January (8 1/2 weeks). I'm not sure somedays why I keep working but I like the challenge of my job, my colleagues are great to work with and I forget I have cancer when I'm there. I am fortunate to have a great boss that allows me to go to all my appointments without feeling guilty, she also allows me to work from home when I feel awful. I never abuse those privledges.

I also have three children, the youngest is two. I am fortunate here as well because my 14 year old helps with the 2 year old. My mom baths the 2 year old before I pick her up and my Aunt comes over every morning to do laundry and help me clean.

Like everyone else you need to do what is best for you and your family. Do what your heart tells you to do.

Lilly