Mom started PCI

Beachmama

Hi everyone. I have posted here before looking for support and info on my mom who is currently receiving PCI. This is her second week, and she is starting to feel it.

Here's what's going on. She is in remission from the lung cancer, and the pci is preventative. She is into her second week of pci. She is running a low fever, has a sick stomach and headache and is very tired. She told this to the doctor today, and they told her it's NOT from the radiation. I just cannot believe they told her that.

We have been so compliant with all the treatment they have recommended for her, but I am trying to talk her out of completing the 20 days they want from her. Part of me really feels like they are "cashing in" on her. And then we can barely get listened to when we tell the docs how she is feeling. They did give her some nausea meds today, finally. I would really like her to stop after this week. (that would be 10 doses) I think that is enough. I just don't think she needs it, and I especially don't think she needs 20 days worth. (it's just preventative, ya know)

In the beginning the doc said something different. Like only 8 days for 8 seconds....now it's 20 days for 3 minutes. And the mask really freaks her out. Now the original doc is gone, and she has a new doc that speaks down to her. (and me)

I know I'm not a doctor, but I feel really strongly about this. What do you all think?

Thanks, Connie

Hi Connie

I am sorry you and your Mom are having these issues. I think, if it were me, I would be looking for a new doctor as it sounds like you are both unhappy with this one. There is nothing wrong with getting another opinion especially if you are feeling uncomfortable with the way this one treats you.

Just my thoughts,

Sending many prayers and well wishes

Christine

Hi Connie,

I agree with Christine. You and your mother need a new doctor if this one is making you feel the way you do. Maybe talk to your regular Onc (if this is the Radiation Onc that is a problem) and get a recommendation to someone else. Good luck.

Muriel

Hi Connie. I have to agree with the others on this. My sister had PCI's done and she did have the headache with it..her Dr. also said it was probably not from the radiation, but he did put her on steroids to help..and they worked wonders. Maybe she could try that. I hope she feels better soon.

Love,

Bobby

Hi Connie,

I agree with the others - get another opinion and possibly another radiation doctor. I feel it is important to trust your doctors. I have fired one or two myself.

I had 20 PCI treatments and they did make me tired and after 3 days of headaches I was put on steroids (brain swelling was causing the pain). The steroids worked great and the headaches went away. I think if your Mom was comfortable with her doctor maybe the mask wouldn't bother as much (although it is no fun).

Take care and God Bless

Nancy B

I agree...don't be afraid to look into another doc. i can say that while dad had mild headaches (and he is a tough old bird) he never had anything unbearable.

I, on the other hand, am an advocate for PCI, as SCLC is so microscopic that there is no way they could know it was somewhere until it grew big enough to see and then in that case, it because a treatment issue in a different way.

I support you no matter what you decide, so know I am here for you!

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Mom is 3 weeks into PCI. She feels very tired, has a cold with a cough, her hair is falling out and scalp is very itchy. She has decided to push through till the end, which is one more week. She absolutely hates the mask but the radiology team is very good with her, they have made all the difference, I think. Plus the fact that mom doesn't want brain cancer! She wants the mask for afterwards. She says she's going to "run it over with her car"!!! (She's not kidding.)

She is such an inspiration. She is really making this look easy. God Bless her and all of you who are going through this.

Connie

Connie,

My dad displayed his mask for the longest time...now it has simply disappeared...I wonder if the car may have run that one over too!

Glad to hear mom is holding up and you are well on your way to the end...

Blessings to you and mom,

Jen