Tarceva and Fentanyl

Gracie

Can anyone give me any info on either one of these meds? My sister was put on Tarceva today instead of chemo (after only 2 treatments?) and we're wondering if this is just a temporary thing until she gets some fluid off her lung or if they are giving up on chemo already for her?

They also prescribed a pain patch called Fentanyl.

My sister is very down right now and I could use some positive information for her. Thanks.

Gracie

Gracie,

Tarceva-- Comes in pill form and take it once a day. Most start out at 150MG and can be adjusted for side effects etc. I Developed the rash at first but only had it for 2 or 3 months and went away on it's own. Also developed diarrhea, adjusted it from 150MG to 100MG and that went away. I had very good success with it and had other chemo treatments after that one. Note: Do not eat or drink grapefruit and stay out of direct sunlight. A good moisturizing for the rash helps if one does develop it. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

As long as there is life there is hope!

Rich

http://www.tarceva.com (Tarceva Website For More Info)

Think of Tarceva as an oral chemo-- they officially call it targeted therapy (I think) but it will hold the cancer stable and in some instances shrink it. It can be a miracle drug if it works and it is much easier on the body than many of IV chemos. This is a good thing and hopefully she will respond to it.

Rochelle

I was on Tarceva for 18 weeks. It is really like an oral chemo. I had it after my surgery when they removed one lung. I also had the face rash and diarrhea but it surely was much more tolearable than regular intervenours chemo. Good luck. :D

John

We have many members on Tarceva. It's been very good for many of those that are on it. I was on the Fentanyl a few times after my heart surgeries. It's a pain medication is about all I can tell you. Like any drug read the discription that comes with it and the side effects. It worked well for me and kept my pain at bay.

Tell Carol I am thinking about her. I know she's down and that's all part of this journey. We have ALL been up and down 100's of times. Wish I had some magicial words that would make her feel better, but give her space, she'll work through it.

I know anti-depresants were mentioned to you, and I do know of many cancer survivors that swear by them. I was on them once too for another issue. They really help us through the rough spots. You might want to mention that to her.

Gracie is your sister still working? You say she was last month.

If she is working full time, emotionally grasping the idea she has CANCER, getting all kinds of procedures and tests, has fluid on her lung, starting chemo treatments etc she has every right to be exausted. Wow.

Prayers for your sister. This is a tough road but it can be done.

Donna G

"Donna G"]Gracie is your sister still working? You say she was last month.

If she is working full time, emotionally grasping the idea she has CANCER, getting all kinds of procedures and tests, has fluid on her lung, starting chemo treatments etc she has every right to be exausted. Wow.

Prayers for your sister. This is a tough road but it can be done.

Donna G

Hi Donna

She was working a few hours a day up until last week. She was also doing her dance classes at night, modified, of course up until last week. I know she is exhausted, but, it's scary to see such a big change in her.