Cancer-Killer Spinach Salad

My spinach salad doesn't actually "kill" cancer, but every ingredient is known to have an adverse effect on cancer cells:

Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves

Purple Onion

Fresh chopped garlic

Mushrooms

Cherry Tomatoes

Shelled walnut halves

Fresh Raspberries

Feta Cheese

I add ingredients in above order, toss and add a "light" raspberry vinagrette (commercial product available at organic stores).

If the salad is to serve as a meal, I add sliced boiled eggs for protein. Tastes great year round, but especially on warm summer days. I usually make up 2-3 individual salads at a time. If stored in sealed plastic individual containers, it will last 2-3 days.

Correction: I noticed belatedly that I'd forgotten the cherry tomatoes (grape tomatoes will work as well).

Enjoy!

Carole

Life is a Terminal Condition

Carole, Yum. I eat spinach and spinach salads a lot but this really dresses it up. I'll try it but maybe substitute pecans for the walnuts. I love pecans and raspberries--oh well, what's not great about raspberries!

Thanks for the recipe.

Judy in Key West

• 3 weeks later...

According to the American Cancer Society, "People who have diets rich in tomatoes, which contain lycopene, appear to have a lower risk of certain types of cancer, especially cancers of the prostate, lung, and stomach," so your instincts are right!

Source: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/conte ... copene.asp

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin

The cancer (so far) that I have had is skin cancer - squamous cell - three times.

Very fair complexion, freckled skin, and green eyes - actually from red-haired family - so VERY prone to skin anomalies. Regularly see dermatologist who has done MOHS on me.

I wish tomatoes helped with that, (sigh). Lately, drinking two cups green tea daily, along with eating Bill's diet.

Barbara

Hey Carol. I am so thrilled to see you moderating this Healthy Living forum. I actually don't mind spinach and am printing out your recipe as we speak. I have a cookbook that I received as a gift entitled "Cooking With Foods that Fight Cancer"...so pester me if I don't thumb through it and put some good ideas on this board. It's a Canadian publication from the Cancer Research Society. All sorts of good info!!!

You are the girl for this forum...thanks for taking this on.

Your friend

Sandra

Hi, Sandra.

Thanks for the kudos, but I am definitely holding you to it re posting recipes! :D

I have more recipes myself to type up and post here, plus I've got a ton of good stuff for the "Healthy Living" section--particularly in the Quality of Life area (surprise, surprise! :D)

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin

• 2 weeks later...

Spinach Salad Review.

10! on the recipe...and well maybe and 8 for me on execution. Carole, you forgot the instruction on how to hard boil an egg! I hadn't done that in a long time...and mine were quite runny when it came salad time so had to do without! Still very yummy!

I'm glad you enjoyed salad, Sandra, and sorry re eggs, but I've never been good at those myself. :(

I think I just stuck them in saucepan with enough cool water to cover them and then put on saucepan cover and turned stove top to high heat until water boiled over, then turned heat off and left them to finish cooking while boiling water cooled.

That's not much in the way of instructions. we probably need a "real" cook to jump in here and help us boil these eggs, Sandra! :lol:

Carole

PS Re slicing, after peeling eggs, I use a "boiled egg slicer" that I bought at kitchen store years ago.

Place egg or Eggs in sauce pan and cover with cold water

Turn heat on high and Let go until Egg or Eggs Float to top about 15 minutes

Put under COLD running waterand fill pot with cold water adn add Ice to stop cooking process.

If YOu over cook You will get green eggs wiht out the Ham, Sandra, I aam!!! :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Hey it almost works!!! :wink:

I am sooooo happy to be here posting. Couldn't take it anymore so went to the AT&T store today and got mobile internet. Here I am, surprisingly with only one bar, on the internet on the Rancocas River.

Hey guys, I've boiled eggs both ways--but Carole, I don't think you have to wait until the water boils "over." That method takes 20-25 min sit time. And Randy, if you really really overcook them until the water is all gone, you get an explosion of amazing proportion--eggs all over even gobs hanging from the ceiling. Believe me, hubby and I did it once.

Judy on the Rancocas River

Thanks for the humorous but helpful eggstructions, Randy (and to Judy for the eggsplosion info! :D )

And thanks to Dana for the appreciation (despite my ineggscusable instructions for boiling eggs ).

I am just now beginning to catch up (after having had company this last week), but hope to post more recipes, etc. soon.

I recently ordered The Spectrum, by Dean Ornish,* which includes both nutritional information as well as recipes, and will be extracting info from it as well as from a number of "complementary" (or natural) cookbooks I own.

In the meantime, I urge all of you to add your own recipes and nutritional tidbits to this site. After all, according to most studies on the subject, nutrition is second only to exercise when it comes to fighting cancer!

Carole

* If you execute search for the phrase, Dean Ornish, you'll also find a very interesting recent posting by Barb about his cancer research, etc.