Anatomical Donors

CaroleHammett

Prior to my dx, I had approved my body parts being used for transplants, etc. After my dx, I learned that only my corneas were still "eligible" (useful), and then a couple months ago, I was advised that I had developed prednisone-induced cataracts. :(

Not wanting my body to go to waste :D, I then asked my palliative care social worker about the possibility of donating my body to medical research, etc.

She informed me of Science Care's Anatomical Donor program, which is online at http://www.sciencecare.com.

Their website includes a Donor Registration Packet which can be downloaded, completed, signed and mailed in. They also provide free services to those who are registered with them; i.e., initial transportation of the body after death, filing of death certificates and other authorizations, etc.

Also, if requested by next of kin, they will return cremated remains (which will only be partial, of course) if desired for services.

Hopefully, it will be a good while before they come for me :lol:, but in the meantime, I confess it feels good knowing that even with lung cancer, my body won't go to waste, and might even help to cure this horrid disease.

Carole

"CaroleHammett" Prior to my dx, I had approved my body parts being used for transplants, etc. After my dx, I learned that only my corneas were still "eligible" (useful), and then a couple months ago, I was advised that I had developed prednisone-induced cataracts.

Thanks, Carole, that's something for me to check on. I've had "organ donor" imprinted on my drivers license for many years, and hadn't considered the impact of my recent cancer and chemo. I "assume" somebody would check my medical history before transplanting part of me into someone else, but I probably should verify that. Aloha,

Ned

Hi, Ned.

Since posting the Science Care Anatomical Donor info, I have learned (from my palliative care social worker) that despite the cataracts, my corneas are still okay for transplant. I don't know if there is a national website, but I just now enrolled with the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute at http://www.corneas.org/ (for Colorado and Wyoming residents)and it includes a link to a national website at http://www.donatelife.net/

My drivers' license still shows I am a donor, but they would not transplant without knowing medical history (and even if we can't donate other orgns for transplant, our corneas could still give sight to two blind people).

Carole

CArole You are the second person That I know that has done that. THank You!! and also for sharing that link. It is indeed a very difficult decisioin to make..

Right, Carole, the cornea is at the very front of the eye, separate from the lens, which is a bit further in. Different part numbers, so to speak. The lens is the thing that gets cloudy with garden variety cataract. I've had cataract surgery on both eyes to replace the cloudy lenses with implants, and that restored my vision to a youthful 20/20! The entire process was very impressive, and the corneas are still intact. Based on recent studies, I believe the maximum donor age is being increased from 65 to 75, so by the time I meet the "other requirement" my donation should be acceptable -- that is, unless I live too long.

I'm registered with the Hawaii Lions Eye Bank, and I've been a member of the Wahiawa Lions Club (in Central Oahu) for 23 years.

Aloha,

lions-logo-c-100.jpg

Lion Ned

Thanks for posting about this opportunity. I donated Charlie's corneas. They called me in the middle of the night since he was not signed up ahead of time. Signing up ahead of time is definitely the way to go...not that I was really sleeping anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have registered to be an organ donor with the state that I live in. The reason I did it... My oldest brother needs a kidney transplant. I was not a match for him. I will have it stated in my healthcare directive that I want my organs donated if they are suitable.

Kristi

I'm an organ donor. I don't know that Larry is. I'll need to check his driver's license. But I don't know that I am brave enough to donate my body to science. Carole, you have really given me something to think about. And if Larry has already chosen to be an organ donor, I suppose I need to have a discussion with him. I can see the benefit. Truly I can. Boy, this is tough.