Michael started radiation

After having such a good PET/CT Scan last week and reporting of the good shrinkage of the lung tumor and scaring of bone mets we were confronted with disappointment. Michael had pain in his thigh that moved to his hip over the last month or so. We thought it was a pinched nerve or muscle ace. Well it was the pelvic bone mets on the socket rubbing against the ball joint of the thigh. So we saw the radiologist and he started Michael on 10 treatments of radiation. He stated this would probably be good for a year which shocked me that it's not longer.

I guess I'm writing to ask for feed back from experience here. It's hard accepting good news when it feels like getting radiation is bad news. And only one year!

Paul

Paul -

I personally have never had radiation but just wanted to say that I am sorry about this development. It sucks to get good news followed by bad (I know of that personally last week).

Justed wanted to wish you and Michael lots of luck with the radiation and to know that I will be thinking of both of you and sending lots of positive vibes and good thoughts your way.

Hugs - Patti B.

Paul,

So sorry to hear about the new met causing pain - I hate this cancer!

I did have radiation to my ischuim bone in my pelvis 2 1/2 yrs ago for a met. This is the butt cheek bone that you sit on. I was given 10 radiation treatments and the pain did go away, along with the cancer. I started feeling better about a week or 2 after the radiation. I since have no cancer in that area or pain (other than an occasional ache).

Try not to get too discouraged by the time line. These docs really don't know how much time we have.

I hope that Michael starts getting some pain relief soon. Keep us posted.

Wendy

Sorry about the bad news... so much harder when it comes right after such good news. :(

On the other hand, it sounds like the radiation will--at the very least--take care of the pain and in the long run, it's still the quality of our lives that counts and pain-free is definitely at the top of that list! :)

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin

Hey Paul. Not great news. I went from NED to spine mets in a matter of months. Thought I had pulled my back...nope..cancer. Absolutely devastating actually. Had 2 huge blasts of radiation and I do not know yet how successful that was. So I can't help with your exact question, but I can tell my heart goes out to you. Best wishes with the radiation.

Sandra

Paul, I just heard the same news from my mom today. She as already being treated for mets to the hips when the radiologist saw a new spot in her hip socket. She is going to get another course of radiation on top of the ones she is getting to her hips now.

Fortunately, the radiation is not too hard on her. She has had nine of 14 of the first et of treatments so far. There are no side effects except for a little fatigue. The treatments don't take too long and they do seem to help with the pain.

I'm sorry you got this news. Again, it was th same with mom--told she was stable, but let's do a bone scan and BAM--mets. It's like you have let your guard down because the first report was good. I'll be thinking about you and keeping you both in my prayers.

Susan

Paul

I had radiation to the spine - the mets were very painful and limited movement of my leg - but after a few blasts all the pain was gone - and so is the cancer -

Radiation was easy - quick, painless - I did get tired - but always thought that could have been dealing with all this not necessarily the radiation.

Never listen to time lines! Who really knows?!

Prayers are with you

janet

I was going to send a PM to all of you but being at work it's to hard doing my personal stuff! I can't thank all of you enough for the information and prayers. You have given me the feed back I wanted from your own experience. Thank you.

Michael felt better this morning after one treatment. I'm not sure if this was wishful thinking or not but we are looking forward to him feeling normal again. We happen to live in a two story house and a garage on a lower level so our home in not suitable for leg and hip problems.

Thanks again to you all.

Paul