Taxotere?

Yorktown Linda

I've been on paraplatin/avastin/alimta every 2 weeks since the end of May. (Adenocarcinoma, well-differentiated, upper left lobectomy May '07 and morphologically different adenocarconoma, not well-diffferentiated, wedge resection lower left April '08).

Recently I've been plagued by a dry, hacking cough. Yesterday's CT scan showed no cause for the cough(started on leavquin, just in case) but 2 new small nodules (3mm) and smaller lymph nodes -- actually nobody noticed the lymph nodes were large and they were not evident on the PET scan in April, but they are definitely smaller than CT scans in April and June.

The new nodes explain the graduall increase in CEA - from 19 to 25 to 30 to 37 and now to 45.

Anyway, although the lymph nodes are smaller, the new nodules lead my onc to want to switch chemos. He will continue the avastin/alimta every 2 weeks but stop the paraplatin and add taxotere every week.

So far I've survived with minor nausea and fatigue and have been able to work, mostly part-time. I'm looking for input on the taxotere.

Have you been on this drug? Side effects? Any words to the wise -- or the not-so-wise for that matter?

Thanks, as always,

Linda

Linda-

They put me on Taxotere when I had an allergic reaction to taxol but I was also on carbo/avastin at the time. I have always been blessed with no nausea, etc. after chemos so I am not sure if I can help. I do believe that Don M. just went on taxotere....I think its him so hopefully he will come along shortly.

Anyway, just wanted to say good luck with your new treatments!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

First of all Linda I am sorry to hear about the lymph nodes. I haven't been on taxotere...but if that is the same as dozitaxol (sp?) then I know that is what my med onc is suggesting next...I am done with alimta and currently giving gemzar a try but seem to intolerant to that as well. Prayers for the taxotere and that it just gets rid of everything once and for all.

take care

Sandra

Linda:

I just finished 4 rounds of taxotere as a single agent. I have lost some hair and my beard is about gone. I have had thrush but got that cleared up. I have had no neuropathy or nail changes. I had an infiltration into my arm muscle at the first infusion, but that is another story. I carry an oximeter with me now and I notice that my saturation drops 5 percent by day 2 after chemo. After that it comes back up. The side effects have been tolerable. I do get fatigue. My scan a week ago shows everything to be stable.

I had my 4th infusion yesterday.

Don M

Hi Linda,

I had 3 rounds of taxotere. My biggest problem with the drug was that it wiped me out of energy for almost a week. I used to plan on spending the week on the touch after my injections. I did have a few weeks after the last dose where my finger nails hurt like crazy. I didn't end up losing any nails but they were pretty sensitive for a while afterwards.

You never know how we will react to chemo but I have my fingers crossed that taxotere will be a breeze for you!!

Wendy

Hi Linda-

My word of wisdom--WATER. John had very bad muscle aches from Taxotere and he drank lots of water before, during, and after Taxotere. He really thought it helped with the aching. I wish you good results with it.

Rochelle

• 2 months later...

Okay, so after 2 months on the weekly taxotere, I've started to lose my hair. I assume it's the taxotere, since I've been on alimta and avastin (every other week) since May. My alternating diarrhea and constipation are worse. Otherwise, I'm much the same.

I get my chemo on Mondays. Tuesday is usually a good day -- will be baking my apple and pumpkin pies this Tuesday. Then I crash on Wednesday and muddle through the rest of the week.

I've recently noticed sob -- assume it's the avastin. It's not devastating but I was in NYC last Thursday and I found I couldn't do the subway steps in one pass -- needed to stop and rest on the landings.

My CEA is still rising -- now at 80. I know that's not huge, but it's still troublesome.

Will have CAT scan soon. I'm not feeling so sanguine about overall survival after the tumor recurred twice, though it seems stable for the moment.

My appetite is back and my weight has stabilized, so I guess those are good signs.

I'm just starting to feel that if the tumors are growing, or not shriking, maybe I want to take a break from the chemo so I can feel like a human being. I'm hoping for a carribean cruise in the near future. Onc. says not Nov or Dec, maybe Jan or Feb. I'm just so tired of feeling sick and think the chemo is to blame. If I don't have much time left, I want to be able to enjoy it.

Anyway, enough rambling!

Linda

Hi Linda,

I can certainly understand how you would like to feel normal again for a while. I have been on Tarceva and avastin for 3 years now. I am not sure what life without treatment feels like anymore.

Keep your chin up, I have my fingers crossed that you will be on your vacation soon.

Wendy

((((((Linda))))))

I know so much how you feel - I have been on chemo now for 27 months and of all the things I thought would be normal to me as I got older, I wasn't counting on this.

Are you still on Alimta???? If so, that would probably be the cause of your SOB. That is one on the main side effects of Alimta - that and fatigue.

Hoping you get that vacation soon. The thought of laying in the sun sound wonderful!!!

Hugs - Patti B.