Visit with oncologist

rinksgal

Darrell's oncologist today said he either has pneumonia, a partially collapsed lung, or its cancer in his lower right lobe...They will biopsy while in there and look at everything. Either Monday or Tuesday they are doing that scope test through his mouth into his lungs, to find out exactly whats going on... Can't they tell with the ct results? I don't understand this.. I mean I'm worried because we were sent home and don't know, especially after I read stuff on the net about collasped lungs..Why didn't they just put him on antibiotics? Does all of this mean they really think its cancer? I mean we have to wait until the first of the week? I'm scared to death!! I've seened on here where someone gets pneumonia and and then just suddenly dies and never recovers... I'm so damn scared and I can't let him know how scared!!!!I'm not sure what I want them to find out???

Also on this ct scan Darrell had understood them to say the paratracheal lymph node had shrunk more but according to the ct scan report which we got a copy of today. Says on the last ct scan at the end of Oct measured 1.3 x 1.7cm and on the new one measured 1.4 x 1.8cm ..The report says not significantly changed!! Well to me it means it grew!!! Am I nuts?? Am I reading things wrong??? They also say he has a stable moderate-sized right pleural effusion. To me there is nothing stable about this whole damn report!!! Oh My God! I don't want to do this!! I hate holidays!!! I hate happy people with no worries!!! I'm sitting here crying I'm just so scared!!! Hes sleeping right now with little Rink!!

Any information on any of this would be so appreciated!!! I need knowledge on all of this!! I need to know what to expect... and what could happen because of what this could be.. the collapsed lung, and or pneumonia... is there things I need to watch for until the appointment that could mean a trip to hospital sooner or doctor??

This is the worse thing I've ever dealt with in my whole entire life!!! Its just pure Hell!!!

Christy

Christy,

I can't speak to all your concerns, but I CAN talk about the collapsed lung business. I've had a partialy collapsed right lung (upper lobe) for at least 3 month now and have had very little problems with it. A bit more difficulty breathing but not dibilatating by any means. I also had obstructive pnuemonia the first of September. Treated outpatient with anti-biotics and cleared right up.

So, time to take a deep breath and maybe a hot bath. It's probably going to be just fine (at least on those two things).

The things to monitor are the standard stuff. A high fever or fever and chills might indicate an infection. A sudden change in breathing (for the worse) might indicate the lung has collapsed further. Either of those would, in my opinion, trigger a trip to the hospital.

CT scans are good and the docs can usualy tell quite a bit from them. But there's nothing better than going in and taking a good look see. The bronchoscophy will allow them to do just that and be REAL sure they know what they are dealing with. Waiting is a bear ... but better a couple of days on the old pins and needles than moving to quick and making a mistake!

Hope EVERYTHING turns out well for you and Darrell!

Dean

The CT scan will show where a possible tumor is located, it, however, cannot make the diagnosis. The final diagnosis must be done by tissue sample, hence the bronchoscope.

Waiting, in my opinion, is the worst part of cancer. I just went all the preliminary baseline studies for a clinical trial. This was all done on Tuesday. I have to wait until next Tuesday, December 9, to start the drug. The last 2 days have been hell and I have 5 more days to go, before I start. I can certainly sympathize with you on the waiting part. The waiting game is continous, as we are then waiting for scan day. Waiting for the next appointment with the doctor. Waiting on results. Waiting for the next round of chemo, or radiation, and the list of waiting goes on and on. (I wish someone would come up with a waiting joke.)

Hang in there, it will all be over before you know it.

All of us have been there and done that.

Christy,

Sorry to hear that Darrell has to go through more tests. Hang in there and stay strong. I know it is hard, the waiting game. Before you know it, this will all be behind you and he will be fine. I have you and Darrell in my prayers every day. Wish I were there to give you a gentle hug, that always makes a person feel better. So I am sending you a great big cyber hug.

[[[[[HUGS FOR CHRISTY]]]]] Keep the faith, God is good and hears our prayers. By his stripes we are healed...

God Bless

Karen

(((((((((((((((((((Christy)))))))))))))))))))))

Take a deep sllooooooooooooooow breath, all the way down to your toes..... and let it out sloooooooooowly....... Repeat.....

Now head for a hot bubble bath..... soak out some of that tension.....

When it seems too much to bear, put it in God's lap, just for a little while, so you can get the rest you so desperately need.

Now go curl up next to them and take a nap too.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

I want to say thanks for everyones responses...I haven't been on here much.. It seems like the more things that happen or go on, the only way I deal with it best is to stay busy, busy and busy! Not that I don't have plenty to do already! As of Monday we still hadn't heard from anyone about when they were gonna do this test. So Darrell called the oncologist office and the pulmonary place called back a few hours later with an appointment for thursday.. He will be heavily sedated.. Hes not looking forward to this test. The one thing I told Darrell is if they in anyway think you could have pneumonia then why didn't they put you on antibiotics? It makes no sense to me. I'm assuming they don't think that, because if so they sure have let him go a long time without any... His cough his worse but not severly worse.

I too wish there was a way to make the waiting days go away, I love to just sleep them away! but then again I guess those would be wasted days that I could have spent with Darrell...I want every day we have left spent together and I hope there are many!!

Thanks for the hugs sometimes I sure could use one!!

Dean you are right I'd rather them take a week rather than make a mistake! I mean I just want the best care for him!

Anyways we go thursday for the scope, and then next tuesday we will see the radiation oncologist, and thursday the regular oncologist. Guess we will know more then... Thanks to everyone for their concern and prayers and sorry it took me so long to get back with everyone!!

Christy

Christy,

Tell Darrell not to worry too much about the bronchoscopy. I had no problems with mine at all. With the sedation I couldn't feel a thing. My pulminary doctor said the sedation often puts the patient to sleep. That didn't happen with me. As a matter of fact I was so awake the docs moved one of the monitors around so I could see what the scope saw. I kinda thought it was interesting.

Here's hoping for nothing but good news!

Dean

Christy,.

Tell Darrell to hang tough. He has the will to bet this thing and with God's help he just may.

Am wondering is they will remove that part of the lung if it has a met?

My mind is not working real good tonight so am not remembering is he had part of a lung removed before.

How are you holding up. It really can get rough but we must hang tough ourselves or it will consume all of our strength. My prayers are with both of you tonight.

Norme, Thanks so much for your concern. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. You have so much on your shoulders the way it is. I also want you to know that I am so very sorry about the news you and Buddy received. It just saddens me to no end what this disease does to so many of our friends and loved ones!! I wish I could give you a hug! We would probably cry together! Sometimes tears help! Norme I hope you know that I have thought about you every single day! Its nice to hear from you! and here you are with all of your own troubles and your showing your love and support to many of us!! I wish I could help you too!

Anyways as far as if Darrell has a met to his lung, I asked them what they would do.. Darrell was worried about more surgery. He didn't want to go through that again, but says he would. But I didn't think they would due to his lymphnode involvement. They talked about doing some kind of lazer thing where you go in and bust it up? have you heard of this?I'm not sure what it is called. But Darrell was relieved to hear this..

I personally distrust doctors more and more. I think they say what they think you want to hear, and they second guess everything and sugar coat the rest!! I mean look at you and Buddy, he even had ultrascans on the liver and they said it wasn't cancer. Now you say hes got 2 liver mets..That even makes me think more that Darrells liver lesions will in the end be found to be mets! I hope I'm wrong, but I have never felt good about this and his cough is worse today.

I'm hanging tough, and losing it on occasions, the same emotional wreck I always am.. But I'm doing ok seriously...Thank Goodness for my own pills! and you are so right sometimes losing it and worrying just about consumes every bit of strengthen we have in us... I'm sorry this is so long, I'm just so very glad to hear from you!! You have been in my prayers! Sometimes I just wonder if God is listening???

Take care and keep in touch!!

Love Ya Norme!!

Christy

Christy,

Prayers for you and Darrell. Praying that his Broncoscopy will come back negative and no tumor. Keep the faith. You need to take care of yourself also and put this in God's hands. He does hear our prayers and answers them. By his stripes we are healed. Christy, hang in there. We are here for you and praying real hard for you both.

God Bless

Karen

Christy,

I suppose what the drs are talking about is like RFA, or something like that. They do that to the brain mets and I guess now they are doing it to the lung or whereever. Haven't read much about the lung. Mary Ann here on the board just had it done to her brain cancer. A few others have had this procedure done with great success.