New to Site

asa

My wife 48 was diagnosed with NSCLC left lung with mets to spine, liver, adrenal glands in August. We originally thought in was a pulled muscle but after second set of xrays they did MRI and admitted her to hospital.

She is home now, in very positive frame of mind, even with a fractured neck, has had a couple of down days, mainly attributed to new pains that appear but are usually managed by hospice homecare team within a day or two.

I'm doing my best but I feel its never good enough

your best is your best always feel good about it! I know how hard it is but Ya gotta have faith!! This is the best place to be for them most info you can get and the most compassion you can get and prayers too!

What stage is she what treaatments has she had? How are you holding out? you are doing the best you can do under the circumstances

Remember Cherish yesterday, Live to the fullest today and pray for tomorrow!

thoughts and prayers Randy in NC!!!

Thank you Randy,

The only treatment shes had is the radiotherapy sessions for pain. No other treatment. She is under hospice homecare, who are fantastic. Her medical consultant gave us his mobile no, and phones me every couple of weeks to see how she is. When she was in hospital he visited her on his weekends off. Shes not a suitable candidate for surgery to stabalise the spine. Her cervical spine is fractured and she has numerous lesions on thoracic and lumbar spine. Three weeks ago she developed a severe pain in her left shoulder which was treated with a session of radiotherapy. The pain management team ring every two days, dosages are altered to keep her pain free but as alert as possible.

It breaks my heart to see how she has lost her independance, as she was so active (serious shopper) but to go out now she has to be taken in a wheelchair. Weve had a few nights where she felt if she went to sleep she wasn't going to wake up.

As long as my wife is with me I'll do ok, I can't think of the future...

Hi asa

Welcome. I am so sorry that you have to be here. You will find alot of support from members here. They are also very knowledgeable. Please keep us posted on how you and your wife are doing. Sounds like she has some great, caring people looking after her. Take care.

Your wife's cancer sounds much like my husband. We thought he had sciatica and spent the month of August treating that. He has lesions in the lungs,lymph nodes, brain, spine, ribs and adrenal glands. I hear you abot the future.....It is tough doing the caretaking and watching them slip away. We have been admitted to the hospital twice in the last month once with pulmonary embolisms and last week with blood sugar over 900. My husband is getting chemo and that is what initiated the blood sugar issues, from the steriods. Is there a reason your wife isn't getting chemo? We are also doing home hospice. This is one ugly disease and the pain for the family is immense. If it helps, I have decided to remind myself that each day is probably the best we will have. He can still walk to the bathroom, we can hug and he is coherent and not in a lot of pain because of the fentanyl patch. And he was able to walk our daughter down the aisle three weeks ago. I would encourage you to continue to visit this site. The people here have gone through it and offer such encouragement and love. I probably talked too much about my situation but I wanted you to know that others are in the same boat, and that you are not alone. Your life has forever been altered. I hope you will find some inspiration here. This board is full of very brave and caring people. Welcome!

Hi Asa. I'm sorry you have found the need to be here but am glad you found us. This site is full of stories of hope with lots of support and knowledge. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

Denise

Hello Asa and welcome. I am so sorry about what you and your wife are going thru.I can feel some of your pain in your letter.I know i was with both my folks at the end of their lifes. And I remember how hopeless I felt both times. Just wanting to do something that would fix the problem and help them get better.Im sure you are doing all you can do and that is all you can do.Hopefully you both will share many good times yet. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Welcome Asa. I am so sorry to hear about your young wife and what you are going through. Yes it is so very hard to see someone's independence stolen from them. It sounds like you are in good hands and getting great support for her at home. You are doing all you can do, just take it one day at a time. And please stay here and let all these good people help you in whatever way they can. This is a group who understands what you are going through. Keep us posted.

Sandra

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

When my wife was in hospital we were told that because the cancer was so widely disseminated, any chemo would be very aggressive. We were told that undergoing chemo might make a difference of only a few weeks and she would have to stay in hospital for the duration. We opted for quality. The oncologist said he would prefer if she went home to be with her family.

We have both come to terms with the outcome but its difficult to deal with the constraints the fractured spine has placed on day to day freedoms, and making the most of our time together.

Asa

I am sorry I am late in welcoming you to this wonderful site.

I'm so sorry you've had reason to even look for a site such as this but glad that you have joined us. Please let us know how we can help you through this and know that we will do our best.

Warm hugs and many prayers for you and your wife.

Christine