Tarceva and the sun

SandraL

Good afternoon everyone. I am fortunate to be travelling to a sunny destination in the near future. And I know that with Tarceva, not to mention other drugs that I am on, that one needs to be careful about being in the direct sunlight. I am fair skinned and freckly to begin with so will take the usual precautions. However, I am interested in others experiences with Tarceva and exposure to lots of nice warm sun. What side effects are experienced? Thanks so much for your help and advice

Sandra

Hey Sandra...Col hasn't had any major problems with the sunny summers here in PA and at the Jersey shore...She takes a lot of precautions as well, as we are both very fair skinned...She definitely wears a hat to protect her head, but it also covers her face as well and protects that...As we know that's where the dreaded rash is usually the worst and the sun definitely increases the effects....All in all, I'd say with the proper precaustions, go have fun in the sun...

I was on Iressa for a summer, and what I recall is being far more sensitive and just feeling HOT anytime I was in the sun. I also burned easier...BUT, on the flip side, the skeeters didn't find me tasty so although I was fried, I wasn't itchy!

I did find a wide-brimmed hat and stayed in the shade. Putting on sunscreen blocked my pores and made my face worse.

John would get photosensitive and burn very quickly. It didn't have to be a lot of sun just a few minutes and he was red. Take a good sunblock and remember it needs to be put on about 15 minutes before you go out.

Have a good trip and don't forget to get a hall pass. :wink:

Some of this may be an overactive imagination combined with my tendency to overanalyze stuff, and I've been on Tarceva only 13 months with just one rotation through the seasons, but...

Simply the length of the day (sunrise to sunset), even without much direct sun exposure, seems to influence the intensity of my side effects — rash and diarrhea in particular. After I got over the initial few months and had my countermeasures all in place, I had a few months of negligible problems. Then as summer approached and the days became longer, the side effects began to increase. Now, with shorter days, things are back in good control. It I'm able to stay on Tarceva several more months, it will be interesting to see if this pattern repeats.

If I know I'm going to be in the sun for more than a few minutes, I use a sunblocker with zinc oxide. Otherwise I'll get a prickly sensation, sort of like getting in the sun with an existing sunburn. My photosensitivity is probably increased by the doxycycline. Aloha,

Ned

Sandra

First of all have a wonderful wonderful time.

Just be careful with the sun. I am a sun worshipper and refuse to give it up in the summer - I go to the beach every day and the Jersey shore for a week. What happens with me if I am not careful is that all the side effects get intensified - so the rash gets worse, the sores on my scalp get worse, my eyes get all oozy and goopy - SO - make sure you remember your sun screen - wear a hat (I even wear one in the water) and wear good sunglasses. Of course, these are all things we should do anyway! Also remember to drink lots of water.

Have a great time!!!

Janet

Sandra, another thought. If my theory holds, then as long as you stay in the northern hemisphere for your vacation (or whatever it is that you're traveling for), the relatively short days may minimize the effects of increased sun exposure. The shorter days are due to the sun being lower in the sky from our viewpoint, and the sun's rays are filtered through more miles of atmosphere, and that reduces their effect too.

But if you're going to Australia for your sun, buy extra blocker — they make some good ones down there. Aloha,

Ned

I just love your theories Ned. I am going to Mexico. I have never been on a warm sunny holiday before (other than Disneyland). I was always too busy working you know, to even take vacation that I was entitled to. So I figure I am long overdue and deserved.

I am SO excited ....just like a little kid! There are about 20 of us going. Grampas and gramas, aunt and uncle, cousins etc. We are all excited here and are counting down the days!

Thanks for the advice and the theories everyone.

Sandra,

Haven't tried it myself -- looking for an excuse to head for the sun -- but Bethesda Skincare makes a sunscreen soap that supposedly leaves a layer of sun protection on your skin. Through their Melanie policy, they will give a free bar to anyone who is suffering from cancer.

You can order it through email: store@bethesdaskincare.com (be sure to mention Melanie policy) or visit the website: www.bethesdaskincare.com to read about the soap and other products.

Linda

Sandra,

I actually began my treatment with Tarceva in August and not knowing any better, took my first pill then went on a boat outing on a hot August afternoon. Boy, did I get sunburned. After the sun went down, a tingling all over my body. I really learned a lesson. Wear a good sunscreen and don't stay out in the sun for long periods. After that experience I would just go out for about 15 to 20 minutes then head for cover, a tent or umbrella. We live on a lake in NC and we have NO shade trees in our yard so I would just go sit on the deck under our umbrella. This way, I could still enjoy being outside with everyone else. One great side effect....the bugs don't like me anymore.

Yea!!

Gail R.