Oh these holidays....

Marci

Just a vent about the holidays. It seems more exhausting than ever now. My mother always loved Christmas and we are trying hard to keep things the way she always had it. Decorations, tree, etc. So exhausted though from it all. My heart is not 100% in it I have to be honest. I don't trust anything anymore so I really was reluctant to put my tree up in my own apartment this year dreading if I had to take it down for some reason early etc. I did put it up at my mom's request b/c she wanted me to and put hers up as well. She made us promise to keep the trees up no matter what. I am hoping for a good Christmas with my mom and hope she can enjoy all the foods, decorations, etc. I hope for all of you and your families the same to enjoy.

Marci

Hi Marci. Yes it can be exhaustiing but we have to do it. Carry on and try to and enjoy the best we can whatever our circumstances. Our loved ones around us need that and so do we. I am sure you will be glad you did and will enjoy all your decorating. Take care and the best of the season to you and your family

Sandra

Marci,

This time of year can be so very stressful, and we tend to try to "make" things cheerful for everyone of our loved ones.

That, oft times, is not possible. Result is that we become saddened at having not reached that. Most especially, we are dealing with either chemo treatments, doctor visits, or scans and the like. Our minds are full of "other" concerns.

Four years ago, when Bill was first diagnosed, we decided to have Christmas (He was diagnosed in December just before Christmas), but to put up decorations we could handle more easily, and accentuate color, some lights, and to focus on being in contact with our family.

So far, we have kept it simple, but colorful, and we do not feel so stressed. We are able to have Christmas in our hearts. This year, we stopped the Christmas cards because I wasn't up to par in the health department. It was I who was the "writer of the greetings."

Our priorities have changed. Once we rearranged what we could handle, we both could be less stressed out at this lovely time of year.

Wishing everyone here a very Blessed Holiday, and to you, Marci, a very warm and love-filled Christmas.

Barbara

I am not a fan of this time of year b/c it seems to just stress out and depress a lot of people who are ill, alone, not happy, etc, etc. It is just hard to say "happy holidays" sometimes when your loved one is sick. I remember 5 years ago, my mom was diagnosed in Nov, and I was like "what do you mean HAPPY holiays???? My mom is fighting for her life. Bahumbug to one and all."

Your mom wants to try to keep thngs as normal for you as possible, and that means keeping on with the holiday tradition. I know it is hard. I wish I had words to help, but I don't. Just know that you are not alone.

You want your mom to have a good Christmas and she wants you to have a good Christmas and it is so not a "normal" year. I understand. I hope you can find some quiet moments to rest and to sit with your mom and focus on some fond shared memories of Christmases past. Even if it is just a few minutes, maybe you can both find a little peace and a little joy together.

Susan

Thanks all for the posts. Will try and take it one day at a time for now. I guess the running around on top of all thats going on is extremely exhausting so I am trying to get the running around for gifts etc. done now so that I can just sit with my mom and enjoy everything with her this Christmas as much as we can. Hope all is well with everyone and take it easy running around yourselves on top of all else.

Sending my Best to Everyone-

Marci