Still in hosp almost two weeks

TammyL

The Dr is keeping Greg in the hosp just to make sure he continues to be better. They are afraid of more fluid build up. They took 1 1/4 liter from left side plueral effusion a weka nd a half ago then tuesday took a liter and a half fromthe right.. Breathing is much better though still on nebs. He started radiation for mass on buttock, which showed up last may aon a scan BUT... WAS BELIEVED TO BE NOTHING. Now that Greg cannot walk on his right leg without great pain they will do somthing abpout that. They are getting him ready for a raiation surgery fo the brain for spot there that should happen early next week. Hope fully he does well fromthat he can start Taxol . That is the only chemo Dr can give while Greg is still taking steroid for radiation of this brain.Trial will have to wait awhile but Dr want/need for him to start some form of chemo ASAP. They alos talked about putting talculm powder in the spce between the lungs whwere the fliud had built up to prevent it form happening agin.. Dr says ther is a bout 70-% success rate on that. Not sure yet.. Anyone had this done or heard of anyone having it done?? ANywya Dr says he is't giving up but also asked Greg if he would want to be kept on a vent if he could no longer breath on his own.. That was a little tough with all that has been going on.. Kinda lousy wek but he is breathing better so one obstacle down.. Now he just wants to walk..

Hi Tammy. Lots of prayers for your husband Greg. It sure would be nice to get him home but sounds like he still needs to be in the hospital for now. So let's get him feeling better and on to other fighting strategies. Hang in there...it's rough for you too. Take care

Sandra

Sounds like it's not easy being at the side of someone you love going through so much. It frustrating, I guess, when you feel the medical people missed something with mass on his buttock. He's got a lot to deal with but at least he's breathing easier. Hope it all comes together soon.

Judy in Key West

Tammy, I am so sorry you and your husband are going through this. My prayers are with you both.

My Mom had the procedure of putting medicine between the pleural space. It is called a pleurodesis. She had bleomycin put in the space instead of talcum powder. Unfortunately it didn't work for her. Best of luck to you all.

Leslie

I would definitely push for the talcum powder procedure. Several recent "legitimate" research studies have shown that use of this procedure for pleural effusion has also had positive effects on curtailing growth/spread of existing and new lung tumors.

Best of luck

With love and affection,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--George Carlin