Sunday's Air

Larry's Wife

Hooduhthunk...Lynn would start an air this late in the evening. But I just had to share....

Sunday is visiting day. We arrived, with McDonald's in hand, slightly early. Voices started ringing out...Nick, your mom is here!!

So he comes. "Where's your fishing pole?", I ask. "Didn't you agree to teach me how to fish?" That crooked smile, so like his dad's. "Be right back!"

Yes, fish like McDonald's pickles. Honestly!! Nick caught a baby brim and threw him back to grow up. They just stole my bait. We tried using a water bug and a dead fish, but nobody was hungry, so we decided to go to the gym. It has air conditioning!!

I challenged Nick to a game of HORSE. Again, the crooked smile!! He joked with his friends that his mom was going to win and embarass him. I joked with his friends that the only one I was going to embarass was myself.

And we played. I didn't die 8) and I didn't embarass myself, either. He won by an E, but I made a couple of really good shots. And we both enjoyed the game, I think.

So, we're starting some new traditions. McDonald's, fishing and HORSE. Not too bad!

As I'm writing this, I have tears in my eyes. For the first time in a long time, I have hope. And Nick does, too. He told me that he shared with his counselor his goal of graduating in 9 months (a goal we had already discussed, and agreed was reasonable). They talked about how Nick could reach this goal. Nick told me he could try to fake it just to get out, but he wanted to be a different person when he graduated, so that he wouldn't do the same things he used to do when he came home.

Yes, we still have a long road ahead of us, but with each and every day, I receive an affirmation that I made the right choice. It seems that both Nick and I are receiving great benefit from the counseling. I've only had four sessions, but I already feel so much healing. And from my conversations with Nick, it seems he is feeling that same healing, too.

Lynn, I can't tell you how happy I am that I clicked back on view posts since last visit before logging off. What a thrill reading your post. Your joy just jumps off the screen. I couldn't be happier for you. When counseling works, it's is a wonderful thing. I did it myself for a year and a half before I decided to become one myself. It did so much for me, I wanted to help others have a similar experience.

Congratulations to you and to Nick. The counselors can't do anything in this process all by themselves. That means you two are working hard as well.

Judy in Key West

Glad I checked in tonite Made it worthwhile Lynn Hugs and prayers for great success on this Road!!!! :wink::wink: (((((Lynn)))))

Lynn -

I have tears from reading this post - thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us. I pray that things will continue to get better for both of you. He sounds like such a great kid - (I have a 20 year old son with a crooked smile too, I know how it can melt a heart :wink: )

Peace to you -Janet