Question on Nausea Meds

I think I told you all that after the first few days of chemo e discovered Gene couldn't take Kytril. He has been trying phenegran but it just isn't controlling it enough or as well as we would like. He tried Ativan only today and is doing better (chemo was Tuesday) but we called the MD anyway. They called in Aloxi, I think...MD hasn't called back but pharmacist said he had the script for the generic aloxi. Anyway, have any of you had experience with it? I'm discouraged because it said if you had an allergic reaction to kytril to tell you MD before taking this. The MD knows that the kytril caused extreme headaches.

Katy-

I have no real answers for you because I cannot take Aloxi but Kytril works like a charm for me. I only take it with my IV chemo and the Aloxi actually made me sick the only time I had it.

I would definitely call the doc back and ask questions. I know there are other nausea meds available.

Wishing that this all gets cleared up real fast and that Gene feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Katy,

I've had chemo twice. The first time (Carbo and Taxol) Kytril was part of the meds, along with benadryl, and some other stuff. I also had a Rx for Kytril to take for a few days after chemo (2 I think). After the couple of days on Kytril I used compazine and ativan. I slept a lot for a couple days - don't remember which ones, tho. The last time I had chemo they gave me a Rx for Zofran. That worked, too. It comes in dissolving tablets and pill form.

Aloxi was popular the second time I had chemo (cisplatin and Gemzar) and that was included in the pre-chemo cocktail. I had different doctors this time and first one prescribed a bunch of stuff that didn't work too well and the second Dr. gave me zofran, and Emend. I did learn that you shouldn't mix aloxi and zofran - that made me really, really sick.

Good luck. There are a lot of things out there and if one doesn't work something else will probably help.

Muriel

Thanks, they are actually going to try a new patch with Gene. I'm waiting to get more info on it...the pharmacy had to order it. PA says that you put the patch on the day after chemo and wear for 5 days. Since his nausea seems to be daily, later in the evening this is supposed to help with the ups and downs. Can't wait to see the cost but I really don't care if it helps!

Hi Katy, my husband is currently getting emend with his chemo and has since his first treatment. He has NEVER had issues with nausea and he has been having treatments since Oct. 2008. He gets the emend in the IV with his meds and he also gets a prescription for two pills to take the first two days after treatment and it has worked great. Good luck with finding a solution. Sometimes you just have to keep trying until you find something that works.

Jean

Jumping in late as usual. :-) Glenn takes emend for six days after his cisplat cuz he gets so nauseated. He also has a rx at home for zofran, and has suppositories in case he actually throws up. They extended the emend from 3 to 6 days and this month he is much better. eating lots of good, high protein fattening foods.

there is also a cookbook called eating well with cancer that my cancer navigator gave me. it has recipes in there that are easy to make and are categorized by what's good for nausea, constipation, diarrhea, etc...

Katy, seems to be a theme running through here. I did Emend for three days with great success then started downhill with naseau on day four of my first chemo. The gave me phenergen (sp?). It didn't work. I get nothing with Alimta for naseau but I do start getting naseous for a few days starting with day three or four. I take zofran, one a day is all I've ever needed and it does the trick. My daughter (RN works on oncology floor) had to ask the doctor to give it to me. It's coming up more and more as an effective tool for naseau on the boards. Why aren't the oncs prescribing it more. Somehow my script wasn't written so that medicare rx would pay for it but it was well worth the money.

Judy in Key West

Zofran (ondonsetron generic name) comes in tablets and a dissolvable tablet form. My Onc only prescribed it for the first 3 days after chemo as they said it was not very effective after that. I found that to be the not true. It works for me anytime after chemo, so I demanded it. I also have compazine, and phenegran as needed, if the zofran does not work.

I know that compazine and phenegran also come in suppositories.

Dawn

Well they ended up giving him Merinol and it seems to be working. He takes it twice a day for the first three days after chemo and then tapers off to as needed. He was better last week. Just had chemo yesterday so we will see if it continues to work. He hadn't lost anymore weight this week either so that was good. His plats were HIGH but so is his WBC.... Concensus is that he is not drinking enough water.

Katy, makes no difference what he is taking, it works and that's what is important. No weight loss is great. Let's hope this is a turning point. Don't know about platlets--mine were high this time too. But my WBC counts are also up and I can only think that's a good thing.

I'll keep you all in my thoughts and keep us posted.

Judy in Key West