Getting to Know You - Monday, June 22

Ann

Although yesterday was Father's Day, this is still a question that I want to ask.

What important things did you learn from your Dad that have stayed with you throughout your life?

My Dad taught me many things. One was your word is your word. If you said you would do something, do it. You don't go back on your word. He also told me that if I needed someone to tell my problems or my secrets to, I could tell them to one of our dogs. He assured me that they would never tell anyone!! He was the kindest man I have ever known and only wish more of that rubbed off on me.

He told me "Son there are good women and bad women in this world. But some of the bad women are damn good". On the serious side tho it wasnt so much as what he said but how he lived. In his younger years he had a drinking problem and overcame it. I developed my own drinking problem which lasted for about 15 years. But using my Dad's example and alot of AA I was able to get my own life back in order.

I learned a lot from my father but the thing I think of most often was his response when I whined about having to do the dishes or whatever, "I wish I lived when everyone had a maid!" -- he would answer, "Then you probably would have been a maid." I think that laid the foundation for my political philosophy more than any other single factor.

Ellen

My Mom and Dad divorced when I was a baby, so I was never around my Dad that much, maybe two weeks in the summer time, he was a drunk. But he start teaching me how to drive when I was about 14. One thing he told me that always stuck with never, ever break on a curve, accelerate in to it! Hey Mike I'm also a friend of Bill's!

Dana