Getting to Know You - Monday, July 6

Ann

Thinking of all of the family television shows you have ever watched, past and present, who would you say is the best Mom? Why do you think this Mom is best?

I'll have to think about some of the older shows but the first Mom that pops to mind right now is Sally Field.....Nora Walker.....in Brothers and Sisters. I think she's a great mom because not only does she always worry, nurture and take care of her children but she openly talks to them and lets them know about happenings in her life. As a mom, it's very hard to open up with your children and let them know you're just a normal person with not-so-normal problems and issues in life.

Oh boy am I going to date myself with this one. When I was a little girl and TV was still relatively new, we watched a weekly show called "I remember Mamma." I could not tell you one thing about the show except that as a little girl without a Mamma, I wanted her to be mine.

This will date me, too, but I also loved "I Remember Mama." Other good mothers: Clair (Clare?) Huxtable - a wonderful role mode as a working mom back when that wasn't quite so common. Also, Sally Field/Nora Walker and Meredith Baxter as Michael J. Fox's mother.

Muriel

First, who doesn't remember 'Mama'? The father was Lars (Hansen?), and the children were Nels (Niels?), Katrin, and Dagmar. Dagmar (Robin Morgan or something like that) went on to become a bigshot in the women's movement, IIRC. :) And of course there was Aunt Jenny (aka Aunt Yenny).

But my favorite mother from TVland has got to be Roseanne. I still watch her reruns and can't believe how much I still laugh at them. Maybe you can tell that I don't have children... :lol:

Ellen

I also vote for Roseanne with her cutting wit but total understanding of her offspring. Loved the show, but I also got a kick out of Peg Bundy! lol Wish I had her figure, not necessarily the hair, but damn, she looked good!

OMG, I can't believe so many of you remember Mamma! But I wish the details didn't escape me. All I retain is the "feeling" of the show. Ellen, you never fail to amaze me. You are a fountain of knowledge. That's what tells me you don't have children LOL. Donny, I think I vaguely do remember the grandmother. I think she may have been my role model.

What fun this has been Ann!

Judy, you're too kind. Actually, I've never heard of half the characters/actresses mentioned in this thread. (I had to google Peg Bundy, for example.) But those early TV series are deeply etched on my brain. Apropos, didya hear that Gale Storm (My Little Margie) just died at 87? Gack.

Ellen

Now there you go Ellen, Gail Storm and My Little Margie. I can recall THE NAMES vividly--nothing else lol. Maybe it's early Altzeimer's--no I think that's loss of short term memory. Maybe early dementia. Today I might fear that.

Judy in Key West

Judy, what kind of dementia is it when you remember a character and who played it in a minor TV show over half a century ago -- but forgot to take this morning's Lovenox shot (which you've been doing every morning for the past 18 months)? Scary. Going upstairs to take my shot (since it'll soon be time for the evening shot).

Ellen

I too barely remember I remember Mama but I do remember it was brought to us by Maxwell House Coffee you know Good to the last drop :!:

I loved Harriet Nelson but then maybe that was because of Ricky. Wow you ever hear the term Bedroom eyes, That was written for him :oops:

"dahknee"]Not so much the mom but the gramma on the Waltons. She didn't take no stuff and always shot straight from the heart.

As I was reading down the list I was thinking about the Momma on the Waltons and I still like her a lot, but after considering Grandma Walton for a minute, I have to say you're right. She really was the bomb. Absolutely right every time in every way. I remember being so sad for her during her last episodes. The strokes sapped most, (BUT NOT ALL), the fight out of her. She still ruled.