MD Appt This Morning

Just checking in after today's appt. Didn't see Dr. Chay, he was one of two MDs so we saw our PA, Andrea. She didn't want Gene to do chemo today since he is still recovering from the pneumonia. Said it would just be too hard on him. They had done the antibiotic for 7 days but she prefers 10 so she wrote a script for three more. He had lost 2 more lbs so she increased his merinol from 2.5 mg twice a day to 5 mg twice a day and she put him on a steroid pack in addition to the steroid inhaler. It should help with his appetite as well. She also wanted to know how his "mood" was and I told her awful so she gave us a 2 week sample of Lexapro (antidepressant).

He will start back on chemo next Tuesday for three weeks straight. During his week off they will do a CT scan before they start round three, I'm assuming to see response and decide where to go from there. I asked them about the new chemo drug that the FDA has approved for maintenance in lung cancer...I just got the alert about it on Monday. Andrea hadn't heard yet and obviously we aren't to a maintenance point but it is for individuals with any stage lung cancer who have responded to chemo. She is going to investigate it. Have any of you heard about it?

His week off is the week that we have beach reservations. Since he has already said that he probably couldn't go when it was two weeks out from the last treatment I know he won't feel like trying it now. The plan is for my sister and brother-in-law(I should just say brother:) will come up and stay with Gene. They have been here enough that they know the routine. My other sister will join me and DD on the trip. I really dread leaving him but I really think Cassie deserves a vacation before she starts back to school. It will be hard on me to leave him but I think I need a bit of break too. Is that awful??? But I keep thinking what will I do if things get worse while I'm gone??? Need some advice here:) He is adiment that we go but I'm not sure if he is just saying that.

Just to answer the drug question - it isn't a new drug. Just that the FDA gave approval for the use of Alimta (pemetrexed) as a continuing maintenance therapy rather than as just a 4-6 cycle regimen. I do believe though that many doctors were already using it that way. The biggest impact this would likely have is insurance approval.

And no, it isn't awful that you need a break. Caretakers need to take care of themselves too! Enjoy your trip, and know that things are being taken care of back home, and the worst case scenario, you cut the trip short and come home. But odds are that it will be a nice quiet week at the beach, which you well deserve! :)

Katy-

If the chemo drug was Alimta, that has been in use for quite a while. I was on it for about 8 months, until I showed some progression.

Absolutely you should go on your trip. I am sure your hubby would feel bad if you didn't go and as Cat said, care-givers need a break every now and then. So go and enjoy yourself and try (easier said than done) not to worry too much about whats going on back at home.

Take pics and let us see them when you get back........enjoy!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Katy, I say go on your trip. Your husband says he wants you to and if you do go, you'll probably get a much needed break. I think it's important for caretakers to also take care of themselves. Go and enjoy.

Judy in Key West

Hi Katy. I am sorry to hear your husband Gene isn't doing so well. I hope things will improve. You do deserve a break and if he is adamant that you go then you absolutely should. I know I would want my family to go even if I couldn't. It always does my heart good when they are out having fun even if I am not able to be with them. If you go, please have a wonderful time. It sounds like Gene is in good hands.

Sandra

Cassie deserves a vacation--and so does Katy!!!! Think how refreshed you will be and ready to continue helping Gene when you return. Go to the beach. Gene will enjoy the visit from your sister and her husband and you will enjoy the beach with your daughter.

Go!

Susan

Katy - I'm sorry to hear that Gene is having a rough time of it. Hopefully his appetite will increase, his pneumonia will get cleared up completely and the Lexapro will make him feel better. I agree with everyone else that you should not feel at all guilty - I am sure Gene would feel even worse if he thought you and Cassie stayed home because of him. Enjoy the sand and surf and replenish your spirit. With any luck, on your return, all the above will have occurred and you will all be ready for continuation of chemo.

Sending you many hugs,

Linda