Another hospital holiday....

gerbil runner

Mom had to go into the hospital on Monday - uncontrollable diarreah and low WBC, looks like a staph infection too. She was in ICU on a respirator for Thanksgiving, and now she'll be spending Christmas in the hospital :( . I can't bring my two younger boys (3.5 and 20 months) to see her because of the risk of infection. My 12-year-old and I have been in, though.

It's so hard to have holidays change like this. My mom and dad have always hosted all the major holidays. Dad and I haven't had much enthusiasm for Christmas this year. Mom feels badly that she's "ruined" 2 holidays this year. And seeing her so sick after only 2 chemo treatments is worrisome.

The little ones will enjoy Christmas, but the rest of us are struggling. In the back of our minds is the worry that Mom won't be here at all next year. She's lost probably 30 lbs. in the past month, and still can't eat. Thank God she can afford to lose the weight, but this is getting scary.

Hope those of you at home with your loved ones have a very blessed Christmas. We're hanging in there, hoping to get Mom home soon.

Jen

Jen, so sorry your mom is in the hospital again on a holiday. I hope you can find some small joy, perhaps through your kids. Last year this time, Lucie was in ICU with systemic staph infection and I cried all day. We did not expect her to be here for Christmas this year -- and here she is! All healthy! So don't give up hope and faith. Blessings. Don

Jen,

I know times like these are very hard on the whole family. The children are the bright spot in these horrible times.

Sorry your mom had to go back to the hospital but hopefully she will be treated for the infection and she can come home soon again.

Hang in for the children and put that brave smile on for dad too. Will put your mom in my nightly prayers.

Jen,

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom is in the hospital .... We had a hard time last year My mom was really sick and I had to beg her to get out of bed for x-mas dinner and i had bought her new Christmas dishes! and then I went to see my Nana and she had a stroke and pneumonia .... Iwas scared to tell my Mom... afraid Mom would give uo...she died Jan 4th (Nana)...But people can come back from these situations and altho it is scarey as hell and a major downer at the holidays try to stay positive and talk to her doctors about your concerns. We will keep you and your Mom in our prayers!

Bless you

Laurie

Jen, I'm sorry your mom is in the hospital, I hope that she received a lot of Christmas cheer even though she was there and not at home as she wanted to be. Hopefully, she'll be home soon.

Hugs, Hope

And Laurie, if you read this, I was wondering about your tagline that says your mom has a fractured spine? Mine does, too! We think it is from osteoporosis induced/aggravated by the radiation. She has to take morphine around the clock for the pain.

Mom dx with sclc limited stage 0l-02

5 months chemo (carboplatin & etoposide), radiation, no pci

Recurrance 06-03 found with follow up c/t, chemo (carboplatin & etoposide) began then stopped due to severe reaction

07-03 pet scan concurred ca in sternum

09-03 ct shows ca spread

09-03 Three 28-day cycles of cisplatinum & cpt-ll

12-03 some tumors responding, began 2 more 28 day cycles cisplatinum & cpt-ll

Well, Mom is feeling better. We kept Christmas pretty simple. Dad came down Christmas Eve (my husband's family all comes down Christmas Eve) and had a Midnight Mass to play for, so he was doing better. Christmas Day, Dad, my aunt, and great-aunt and great-uncle all visited Mom first, then came here for dinner. The little guys, Danny and JJ, had a great time with the new toys and provided a lot of laughs for all the adults. I went in to see Mom in the afternoon, and gave her new clothes, which she loved.

The infection is under control, and we're hoping Mom will get to come home on Saturday. Her chemo is going to be changed, though. I don't know what the new meds will be yet.

Thanks for all your empathy and encouragement. Usually, we feel pretty hopeful about Mom. Just had a little trouble dealing with another hospital holiday.

Jen

Jen-I am sorry she is in the hospital esp. now! I had to laugh tho when you said she lost weight and it was a god thing she had it to lose! I have said all thru my fight with this disease---NOW I know why God let me be fat most of my life!!!! He was getting me ready to live thru the chemo! HA, My girls hate it when I say this but--I have always been somewhat overweight and the last 5 or so yrs had gained eve some more sooooooo now I don't even think about it. There was one benefit to this cancer-nobody says 'haven't you had enough to eat'!!!!!!!!!!! Praying she gets her strenght back and home for the new year. Love Cindy

Thanks, everyone! Mom got released yesterday and celebrated by going out to lunch. Today, I get to take all 3 boys down to visit.

She's getting the week off from chemo, and next week will go in 3 days, and then get 3 weeks off. Dad didn't remember the name of the chemo, but promised to get it for me so I can look it up here. She has a PICC line now, too.

They still have the d@mn Thanksgiving turkey in the freezer. We're thinking New Year's may be the day we finally get a real family holiday.

I know how you feel, I brought Mom home on Thanksgiving Day and she went back twice since then and brought her home on Christmas Eve, she is rejecting the chemo and the Dr's aren't for sure whether or not she will be able to tolerate any more Chemo, she is just vomiting so much and has lost 43 lbs in 3 weeks. God Bless you, and I know, I know just how you feel, and I would give anything in the world just to take this cancer away from everyone.

I pray everyday for strength to endure the next step, and thankful for having each moment with my best friend and Mother.

Jen,

I apologize that I've missed your post until now. I am sorry your holidays have been less than festive, but am so glad to hear that your mom has been released and is feeling better.

I will be praying that New Years will bring you much to celebrate and some wonderful time together with family and friends joined in fun and happiness.

Carleen