Saturday's Air

jaminkw

Morning All! Looks like more lovely weather for us today Ann. The rest of you (except for Ned), I hope this means that you all are going to get a break with the winter weather soon. You deserve it!

Linda, Gail was the caretaker of Hank who passed away. She is from NJ and we made arrangements to meet while I was there last year. Had a great long lunch and now will have a day together. I try to meet as many people from the site as I can when I travel. She and Hank had traveled to the Keys years ago so she's familiar with it. Am so looking forward to seeing her.

Believe it or not, the tree is still sitting in its XMas spot. One thing I have really learned with my dx is to prioritize when it comes to spending energy. I've been pretty busy since I untrimmed it and I was waiting for a slow day to tell Stan we could do it. It's a great idea having the bag you pull up and zip up but it takes some muscle to get it started. We'll do it this morning. Then into the office. Don't know where all those piles came from since I was in there last.

Have a great day everyone.

Judy in KW

It is a rainy dreary day here. I don't know why I am up so early - I try to sleep later on Saturday mornings. In fact I am thinking about going back to bed for a nap before I totally get motivated to do something awful like dust or something. I brought some work home so we know what I'll be doing later but after this cup of coffee I think I will lay down and read a bit.

So Judy - if you travel up the coast past Richmond you will have to stop in and go to lunch or something with me - I'm willing to go anywhere along the 95 to meet you so your travel plans don't get too messed up. Wouldn't it be great if you came north in July and we could all meet - you, me and Eric!

I think I will check out for now - and go relax for a while before hitting the work pile. I'll check in later after everyone gets started on their weekend and checks in.

Annette

Good morning!

It is supposed to be another record breaking day today with temperature in the mid to high 70s and no rain in sight. I wouldn't mind seeing some snow again sense I wouldn't have to drive in it but I sure don't envy those of you who have had so much. I am just hoping that the rain holds out until after our memorial next weekend. Then we will need more rain or all the early rain will not have us caught up enough to see us through the summer.

Judy every time I turn around I see something else that I need to do. I used to be a real determined house keeper but my energy level has dropped big time as I have aged. Today I am planning to rearrange my living room and dust as I go. Weather is too nice to close windows and curtains so I can't scare those dust bunnies away by putting them in the dark :lol:

I am still trying to read through the pile of books that I bought in the past year and then yesterday we had to get rid of about half the books in the recreation room because of redecorating. Well guess who took another 30 or so. Yep it would be be. Some things in life I just can't pass up that being a good book or a cup of coffee.

Annette I know what you mean about waking up early. No matter what time I go to bed I always wake up at the same time. Usually I am up around 6am but some mornings I get up at 5. It is very rare to sleep past 6:30. That is why it is so hard when I go to my sister in laws house, now my nephews, They never go to bed before 1am so I loose sleep. I would go earlier myself but their dinner hour varies from 7pm until close to 10pm,.When home I eat at 5pm so I am always trying to get back on schedule in order to lose weight. I am off of here now for exercise. breakfast and some housework.

Have a great day everyone.

Good morning! Well unlike the rest of you, I stayed up until Midnight last night, and slept in until 10:00. And I enjoyed every peaceful moment of it. Ah! When Randy goes out of town, I spoil myself rotten, sleeping in. After posting, I'll shower, and take myself out for some brunch, and then go shopping. A girlfriend turns 50 tomorrow and we're having a surprise birthday party for her at church. It's a potluck, so I need to make something in the crock pot, and get a card, and a little gift.

So what kind of TV do you guys like to watch? I am a Criminal Minds addict. We have a station called Ion television that plays that show back to back. Randy hates that show, so I wait til he's out of town, and watch it in the evening. If you know the show it's about solving serial killer crimes. I have no idea why I"m fascinated with it, but I am. You can't get me to watch any shows like Survivor, The Amazing Race, any of them. But I love crime TV and solving the crimes!

Lily, I love books too. Yesterday was a catch up on books day. I can read hundreds of pages a day.

Annette, you deserve that nap. Working on a Saturday! Outrageous.

KW Judy, I too, would like to meet everyone on here. I belonged to a quit smoking site years ago, and we did get together once a year and it was a blast to see each other. We knew each other better than a lot of our 3D friends knew us! It's fun.

So when you coming my way, hmmmmm?

Have a great Saturday! I need to WAKE UP!

Mi Judy

Wish I could meet all of you. But Annette, that Route 95 thing could work. We take it every year to NJ in late Aug/early Sep. right by you. Don't know about July yet, we work around Stan's work/travel schedule. I was thinking I might break my "no flying" streak if I have to to meet Eric when he's in the States. Next year I'm hoping we get to do the train trip thru Canada--hello Linda and Bruce lol.

Judy, my vacations this year are taken up but I've been meaning to ask you about the "nature" vacation you and Randy took. I meant to copy the places you went and now would never find the post again. Stan and I are animal/nature lovers and we need to do a trip like that in the RV.

Lily, one of the biggest socializing problems Stan and I have are late dining. We decline invitations often because we prefer to eat early--with us it could be anywhere from 4-6 but rarely later. No bring books home for me. Only allow myself to buy them 1 or 2 at a time. I've spent so much time and energy boxing and hauling books away over the years. I still have a couple of boxes stashed in my closet. One is all Asian literature I'm saving for Dominick.

I'm here because my accountant gave me back my USB and forgot to back her entries up on it. I'm using that as an excuse, like I don't have a bunch of other computer/office stuff to do.

Judy in KW

Judy, the BEST vacation of our lives was Alaska. The tundra in the Fall is amazing. The animals. Denali National Park. It was all so wonderful. Here's some pics. I think I sized these so they won't be giant. I hope so.

I'm going to try one and see if it works. If it did this is Mt. McKinley in Denali National Park. We were driven right up to it.

photo.php?fbid=1068290232970&set=a.1068282032765.2010617.1397493721

Mi Judy

You guys are early birds for sure.

Judy MI - I am a little ahead of you because I woke up at 9:30 am ... that is very unusual for me as usually up at 8 on weekends. We stayed up until midnight too - watching first season of Modern Family. My friend had told me how funny it was so I picked up the season yesterday - oh my, we laughed so hard. There were actually tears a few times from all of us from the laughing. I also love Criminal Minds, doctor shows, etc. One of my new favorite shows is Harry's Law (Kathy Bates). I can't watch reality tv - except for American Idol as my daughter likes that one.

Judy KW - thanks for telling me about Hank & Gail. It is so wonderful that you are able to meet some of the people that you get so close to in this forum. Sandra and I talked about getting together often in our e-mails - our family even had a trip planned to Vancouver; however, regretably we had to cancel due holiday conflicts, so the visit never came to fruition. I still regret it to this day.

Annette - working on the weekend - really?!?! Don't forget to ask for a raise soon...you are very hard working.

Lily - I love to curl up with a good book too! Isn't it wonderful to be home, back into the familiar routines and sleeping in your own bed. I do enjoy going away, but I am such a homebody that I just love returning home. Canada has had a huge outbreak of bed bug infestations in hotels, etc. and that has certainly curbed our desire to be away from home. However, it was on the news the other night that they found bed bugs in the library in Edmonton - yeesh, now they are messing with my books...ridiculous! Mind you, the exterminators are rubbing their hands in glee all the way to the bank with these outbreaks. Truthfully, the whole idea of bed bugs creeps me out.

Judy KW - I would LOVE to see you & Stan! Make sure that train trip takes you through Jasper - one of the most wonderous sights of the world ... the majestic mountains, the wildlife. Honestly, it is breathtaking. Bruce and I have never met either and it would be the perfect opportunity to all get together and share some laughs.

Anyhow, guess I better shower and get on with the day. Hope you all have a good one.

Linda

No Judy, it wasn't Alaska. I have lots of info on that. I thought I recalled you talking about driving thru the States. Maybe I remember wrong.

Linda, I think that train trip may turn into an RV trip. I started looking at the prices--WOW! It costs more for one person than it does for two people on our cruise. And we're taking a pretty pricey cruises as cruises go. I had no idea.

The accountant is going to drop a disc in my mailbox on her way home so I'll do MEI work tomorrow. Does't mean I shouldn't be in there working on the personal accounts. Statments are in and debit card receipts and EFT payments are piling up. Sigh, Annette I don't feel like working and I know you don't either.

Judy in KW

Judy, I found it! This is the trip I was referring to.

One of our best vacations was to drive from Michigan, across Canada, with a stop at Niagra Falls, then across New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and ending in Maine. Tons of beautiful nature, mountains, animals, and quaint small towns.

Do you recall how long this trip took?

Judy in KW

Good Afternoon All,,

Just a flying visit,sorry I havent been spending much time here recently,Jennifer is having a weekend break in Paris,asked if I could run her to Prestwick Airport this morning ,sure I said what time?could you pick Chris and I up at 4am grrr,me and my big mouth,so off to bed at 9pm Friday,I really have to have my sleep.

Got a haircut this morning and straight into Glasgow,Penny of Stobhill LC support group,suggested I went to see Trailfinders in Glasgow as they deal exclusively with long haul holidays,well the good news is the rough draft is completed,I fly out from Glasgow to Philly onSaturday the second of July and finish up at Seattle flying back to Philly on the Thursday 18th August-48 days inclusive trip,I cannot believe

they got me a rail pass for 45 days with 18 "journeys" for only $500,I didnt have the nerve to ask do I get the over 62 ,15% discount LOL.I have to go back on Saturday next,with my list of stop places for them to arrange my hotel bookings for the duration of the trip since I couldnt tell him exactly where I wanted to stop and for how long.

OK,I have the route sussed,Captain Cook did three voyages of discovery,so as much as I would love to pass by somewhere near you to meet up Iam sorry,I wont be seeing California,Florida or Texas this trip,OK stop the cheering,I will be doing those next year(including New Orleans).

Right the big plan-Philly to Richmond(Annette and Keith)then to Washington DC,New York then Boston,Niagra Falls to Chicago (Libby and Family)then St Pauls to Montana-the Dinosaur Nature trail-15 Dinosaur sites to see WOW,then on to Seattle (maybe meet Stephanie and others?)Vancover then back to Seattle to fly back on the homeward leg.

OK Guys and Gals,your contribution,how would you carve up 48 days and 18 stops on the above route,prizes will be awarded for any suggestions.

Just before I confirm my booking next week by payment,it was suggested before I do this I should check out the cost of insurance,bit of a daudle thinks I,not a bit of it,the first two I tried,big well known UK insurance companies,which have special policies for cancer survivors,refused to take me on?the third I tried had nothing for me except a reference to further underwriters-cost a minimum of £3000.Thats it Americas off the menu,I refuse to pay such money,I will tour Europe instead,OK we will try one more,who having listened to my medical condition fully said, OK Eric that will be £250,hurray the trip is on,run for cover everyone.

Bud, applications for severence have to be in for 15th Feb and managements final decision of successful applicants will be announced on the 28th Feb,I have reshuffled my class committments from now until end June,have cleared the decks except for four weeks,I cannot go if it means senior management have to buy in extra class cover,so I will offer my return on these occassions at no extra cost,if I can be released early.

I hope you all enjoy The Steelers and the Packers at the superbowl to-morrow tell Coach Lombardi Eric thinks he is more of a pussycat than a tough guy,well I am just going downstairs to watch a real mans game-Scotland V France in the six nations championships,we dont need all that girly stuff like crash helmets and shoulder pads,we just have tee shirts and shorts.

Goodnight everyone,Judy really sorry I missed sending you Birthday Greetings,Happy Birthdfay wishing you many,many more.

Don't know what's going but I have a limit. This is my 3rd try at this post and this is it!

Eric, I am so jealous of the price of your rail travel in the US. Linda and Bruce, my initial explorations of train trips thru Canada showed over $3,000 to over $5,000 per person. And that was for a week or just over. Too rich for our blood. I was really disappointed but haven't given up yet. We may have to do part of it by RV. Anyway Eric, my timing in the summer depends on Stan's work/travel schedule. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Richmond (and Annette) or Seattle (Stephanie). Gosh, I'm glad Stan's schedule will dictate since I'd hate to have to make that choice lol. What a grand adventure you are undertaking. You must be thrilled!

Judy in KW

Hey Judy - just waiting for pizza to be delivered and then we are heading to friends to watch the UFC fight.

Yes, train travel in Canada - only for the very affluent. I'm not certain why it is so expensive, but anyone I know that has travelled that way has lots of bucks to spare. They said that the cars are very luxurious, but I would rather RV it or take the plane as less expensive. That said, I guess if you win the lottery you can happily book train travel. RV'ing is very popular so there should be lots to choose from on that end. I was shocked at how little Eric has to pay for train travel - that is impressive. I took the train from Alberta to Ontario about 26 years ago and I certainly didn't find it to be that luxurious, but I'm pretty sure train travel is different today than it was then. That trip was a riot as I went with my baby sister - although we were young and single and drank through a good portion of Saskatchewan-lol! Anyhow, enjoy all the planning you guys - I find that all part of the excitement of a trip to look forward to.

Linda

Wow busy day today on here. Judy any excuse is a good one to visit with friends. Linda the day I got home the last leg of my trip was by bus, when I got near and saw Mt.Shasta and Mt. Lassen I actually got tears in my eyes. I love my family but two months is just too long to be gone. I was home less than two weeks when I had to leave again because of my sister in law's death. Next weekend I am going down to the bay area with my family for the memorial / celebration of her life. I will see my only remaining brother and a bunch of other family that I haven't seen in years as well as some friends I haven't seem in close to 50 years! Then they will have to pry me out of my house for a while.

I spent the day cleaning and moving furniture around. I completely rearranged my living / dinning room area. Desk is so heavy I was sure glad to have the sliders I bought to help. Then ran to the store. I was so tired and sore I could hardly make it home with my purchases. One thing I bought was a new reading lamp. I was having trouble seeing to read already and once the room was changed I knew I had to have a reading light. Got home and put on my night clothes at 4 pm then sat and read. Going back to it after I eat a bite.

I love Criminal Minds too and the original CSI . I started watching Survivor a few years ago when there was nothing else on. I also watch Dancing With The Stars and my favorite is Biggest Looser. I guess that is because I keep telling myself if they can do it I can too. Yeah right :roll:

Eric I envy you that trip. I would love to travel on one of those passes but they tend to charge more for US residents than they do for those who come from abroad. Maybe one day,that would be second choice to going by ship up the inside passage to Alaska. Too bad you will miss California. Personally I think you are missing the best but I guess my view is a little slanted ha ha!!

Oh well I am tires and need to have a bite to eat. I am a little late but had a snack of carrots and ranch a couple of hours ago. Have a good evening and hope you warm up soon. I have both windows open and my fan on :!: