Jump to content

New to this site & to cancer. Many ??'s


Recommended Posts

Due to a pre-op screening for sinus surgery, a "mass" was found in my left lung. Went through a CT chest scan, PET scan, and a biopsy. My lung collapsed after the biopsy on the 23rd, so I was in the hospital until last Sat. (3/31). While I was in there I got the DX OF NSCLC (hope I'm using right shortcuts), said it is adenocarcinoma, and I will have to have that part of my lung removed. I am going today for a second opinion about the surgery because the surgeon I met in hosp wants to wait and my dr. thinks the surgery needs to be done quickly.

I don't know what to think, or say, or even to ask. This has happened very quickly. I am a 54 yr old woman who has felt really bad for the past year or two, but had some fairly clueless doctors that ignored my complaints. Now there are some answers but even more questions.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dani - Welcome to the group, although I am sorry you have the need to find us.

The beginning is always the scariest part, but it is a good thing that they are discussing surgery. No one wants to have surgery, but in the case of lung cancer it is a good thing. It is always a good thing to get a second opinion, and even a third if you do not feel satisfied with what you are being told. I think it becomes a little less scarey once you have a treatment plan in place.

If you haven't found it yet, I would highly recommend cancergrace.org. It is a wonderful site for information on symptoms, treatmets, just about anything related to LC, and there are a panel of oncologists who do answer questions, in a general way of course. Many of the people on this site belong there as well under the same user names. Do check it out.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing. There are many people here who have been just where you are now and want to help in any way they can.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dani, as Diane said, glad you found us, sorry you needed to.

You are in the early scariest phase right now. Take deep breaths and keep moving forward. I'm a 4 1/2 year survivor of adenocarcinoma 3b and will admit it's a rollercoaster sometimes. But for the most part, once you settle into a treatment plan it get's better.

Do let us know if you get a second opinion and what more you learn about your cancer/treatment plan suggestions. I don't understand that thing about waiting til they think it need to be done quickly? Are they talking about some need for recovery time after what you just went through with the lung collapse? That would make some sense. Keep up posted.

Judy in KW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome. Sounds like you have been blessed that you went in for screening before sinus surgery. It also sounds like perhaps they found it early , that it did not spread any where else or they would not even be talking about surgery. I agree with your doctor, if you are OK now get it out!

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

This can be beat! I was not too early, had to have chemo and radiation to shrink the tumor so I could have surgery and then more chemo after.

I am a survivor!

Donna G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome, Dani. I had the upper half of my left lung removed over four years ago, and I'm still doing great, so hang in there, it's doable. Best wishes and keep us posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you to all of you that answered my post. I got the second opinion, and this surgeon is ready to operate as soon as i get the proper tests done. The surgeon I met while I was in the hospital wanted to wait because, well I'm not exactly sure why, but it would be another month before he would do anything. I would rather get it all done sooner than later, and the pulmonary dr, and the dr that did my biopsy, both thought I should get this done soon. Now, is there something they know that I don't? I don't even know what "stage" I'm at. All I know is it is early stage. Do they figure that out after you have the surgery? There is so much to absorb, yet I just can't seem to wrap my brain around any of it! I have looked at LC websites trying to understand but it may as well be written in Greek. Haha! I guess I am just not ready for all of this just yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dani,

They can't do official staging until after surgery, but early stage diagnosis at this point is a really good report.

During surgery they will remove sample lymph nodes and test them to determine spread.

I had the upper left lobe removed almost 9 years ago and am still doing great.

Good luck to you,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I had the lobectomy on the upper left lobe on 4/30/12. I think it ended up being staged at 1B, which is what I gather after seeing the pathology report. There were 2 tumors in there. The larger one was adenocarcinoma, and a small one was squamous. I have seen the surgeon for followup but no one else. I am not sure who I should go see first; the pulmonary dr., the ENT (sinus pressure is back and causing pain) or an Oncologist. I just had a birthday but really wish I could have put it off for a month or so because I am not feeling very well yet. Lots of pain, confusion and just generally out of sorts. I think the surgery kicked my butt more than I thought it would. BUT the cancer had not spread to the lymph nodes so that is really good news!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.