hello im new here

amy456

I was diagnosed with stage 2a adenocarcinoma had my upper left lobe removed pet scan showed no spread but the surgeon took six lymphnodes and found it in one im on my last round of chemotherapy this Will be my fourth cycle of cisplatin and gemzar im only 34 and yes I smoked so the stigma eats at me daily I have two children also im just at a loss for words the first round of chemotherapy made me real sick but the rest haven't been as bad im getting bigger for some reason im on a steroid as well but I only take it for four days afterwards sorry im so short but im new to this :(

Good Morning Amy,

Welcome to LCSC,this is just the place to be to cheer you up and bring you the support you need at this moment in time.I am really sorry to hear of your Dx,I was similarly dxd 5 years ago with NSCLC 2A (sqamous).

I guess I know just how you are feeling at the moment,I took my dx so badly,my whole world has collapsed and there will be no remittance,no light at the end of the tunnel,no future to look forward to.

I really did believe I would never regain that happy go lucky person I was prior to my dx.I was completely wrong of course,by the slow passage of time,I began to recover some of that confident an optomistic person I once was.

I began to discover long term survivors of lung cancer of all types and stages,who seemed to be coping so much better than me.I began to realise that a 2A staged lung cancer was survivable since it is regarded as early.Well maybe,just maybe I will aslo survive this by brain began to say to itself,and as each day,month year passed that feeling as grown,that elephant in my living room has grown so small,I can no longer find the little blighter.

I have to go to work now,loved to have shared longer with you,but like Arnie says "I will be back",I leave with a couple of observations, "Worry is like sitting in a rocking chair,it gives you something to do,but it dos,nt get you anywhere" also I like to say "Lung cancer rained on my parade,but it sure came with a hugh silver lining,it has taken me to places I would have never even dreampt of,and allowed me to meet so many new and wonderful people I would have never otherwise met.I hope to explain further what I mean in future posts to you.

I promise you,things will get better for you,that weight on your shoulders is shortly going to disappear.

Hi Amy

Sorry that you have to be here but this is a great site with alot of members who are great support.

Like you I was diagnosed and had my upper left lobe removed. I was staged 1B and had 4 rounds of Cisplatin/Vinerolbine chemo. A common side effect of Cisplatin is hearing issues. I had ringing in the ears and my 4th round was changed to Carboplatin. If you find anything you should mention it to your chemo team.

I am also familiar with the steroid. I think the entire time that I was taking chemo I could be found with my butt sticking out of the fridge ! I also found that it can make you very agitated. No one had told me but I noticed a difference in my personality and when I asked the chemo nurse she said that it was the steroid causing it.

I smoked as well but it is a stigma and you will hear alot of people with LC who has never smoked.

This is a great support site and if you have any questions there is a good chance a member here can answer them.

Take care and please drop in again.

Amy – welcome to the club none of us every wanted to belong to. I was diagnosed in 1998 with 2A (squamous). At that time it wasn’t as common to do chemo or radiation – and I had surgery, but nothing else. Stage 2A is definitely considered an early stage and is very survivable. Like Eric said –

“lung cancer rained on my parade, but it sure came with a huge silver lining, it has taken me to places I would have never dreampt of, and allowed me to meet so many new and wonderful people . . .”

That may seem hard to believe now, but it is the truth.

This is a wonderful support group, and I do hope you will come back often. There are so many terrific people here who have been just where you are now. It is also a good place just to come and vent – we understand.

Hi Amy,

I'm glad you found this group. The people in here are wonderful, helpful, & caring souls. I hope that you will know that there isn't any judgement in here. We believe no one deserves cancer, no matter what life choices they have made. We are here for you, for support, as a sounding board, we will jog along side you as long as you will let us to. Please continue to post in the boards regularly so we know how you are doing. Sending you hope, healing thoughts.

I do have the ringing in my.ears and im bald im so thanful to have found this site to know im not alone thank you for your replys but im always worrying my self that the cancer will come back my oncologist is making me see a therapist because of it my uncle just passed away in july from lung cancer he was a stage 4 and he was so skinny already from it and got more thinner and it went to his brain he did the surgery to remove it but they couldn't do nothing more for him because of his weight and the tumor in his lung got bigger it just scares me I saw what he went through it was bad

Hi Amy

Thanks for dropping in again. Alot of us have went through what you are feeling now. The fear of reoccurance is always there but it gets easier with time. For me it has been 6 years now and it is there in the back of your mind but not your main focus like it was in the beginning.

I understand how watching your Uncle go through things can add to that fear. I lost my Uncle, Mother, and Brother to lung cancer. So you can imagine what was going through my mind when I was told that I had lung cancer ! After talking to others, asking questions, doing research, etc. I found that you are an indiviual and everyone is different and responds differently to treatment. You are fortunate that it was caught early. That is why I would tell someone not to compare yourself to someone else or to read statistics. As you progress on this journey, you will find there is hope and your confidence will grow. The emotional challenge is just as hard if not worse than the physical challenge especially in the beginning. We have been there and whether it was therapy, medication, etc. they are all for assistance in helping on this journey. Take care.

Amy - thank you for your post. I don't think I can add very much to the excellent advice from Bruce. It took me a long time to get past the constant worry about recurrence - but as time passed it got easier and easier. I had a little hearing loss, but it really hasn't been too bad. I was sure I was going to be devastated to lose my hair, but found it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. I am happy to have my hair back - but I think back almost fondly to the days when I didn't need a comb, brush or blow dryer and saved a ton of money not having to pay my stylist :D .

I know it is really hard not to worry, but I remember a woman telling me about her husband. He was so afraid of the cancer returning that he was almost paralyzed, and instead of getting out and living his life he just stayed home worrying - until he died 10 years later of something else! That made a big impression on me.

As Bruce said - time really does help. In the meantime, please stop by here as often as you like.

Hi Amy and welcome. I hope you can find some support and comfort here. Feel free to read my story at the bottom of my post. Like Bruce said what you are going thru is completely normal. How could you not worry about recurrence. It was a constant thought of mine for about 5 years. Now it kind of scares me that I forget I even had it somedays. It sounds like they caught yours early and hopefully you are going to be around for many many years. Prayers and best wishes. Mike

• 1 month later...

there are things you can do to deal with the weight issues and also the baldness if you want to.. My wifes ONC had her a prescription for a cranial prosthesis or wig written so it was tax deductible as medical expense.. !!) we canalso ofer and give advice about the weight loss issue, we can help with also.. lots of great ideas in the healthy living section or I am sure lots of folks can tell you how they have dealt with it on their levels.... hope you post up becasue we can ofer so much support and help for you now.........

you are very young. doubtful that smoking had anything to do with your cancer so leave the stigma and guilt behind you. anyone with lungs cancer get lung cancer.

how are you doing? post soon and give us an update. I've been following your thread and I hope you are ok.