Good Results with Iressa!

Mark - North Calif

Hi All,

Haven't been on this site for some time, too busy with work and other things. Anyway, for someone with stage IV NSCLC, I received very good news. Just found out that all tumors scattered across both lungs (5 total) are shrinking and largest of the lot has totally disappeared! Both my Onc & I were flabbergasted and stunned!!! He went back and reviewed all CT scans for the last year with radiologist to confirm results. It appears that my first chemo session started the ball rolling (CarboPlatin & Gemzar) and the second regime of Iressa continued reducing the tumors. Since tumors were small with the largest ~1 cm, it was easy to overlook the reduction in size. BTW, this was a reoccurance of an earlier stage I episode in Nov of '01. Anyway, I firmly believe that excercise had a hand in these results. It's nice to be able to pass on good news....Onc kept pumping my hand in congratulations until I had to pull free :-)

Take Care,

Mark

Mark,

Great news !

I wonder if you have a BAC form of Andeno? The re-occurence back in the lung (instaed of elsewhere), the multiple small nodules, and the effectiveness of Iressa all seem to point to this ... It took me 3 path reports to find out I have a BAC form of the disease.

Very encouraging... thanks! Also, I am a big fan of excercise in the management of this disease (even deep breathing I have heard is good, for those that can't power walk, bike, or run). Its good to hear you say , that that has played a hand in the turn around. do u also watch your diet?

Praying for continued healing for you.

Joe

Mark,

That is such wonderful news about your Iressa results! I have to ask -- what type of exercise are you doing?

Joe,

I'm back from the honeymoon, settled into the new house and ready to get that treadmill set up again -- just do me a favor and get on my case from time to time to make sure I actually am EXERCISING!!!!!!! :roll:

(For someone who is so into health and nutrition, why is this treadmill thing so hard for me??? :oops: )

Congratulations Heather! Married life is good!! You should post on the good news board.

About the excercise. Lance armstrong states that excercise is suffering and involves some pain... but tha teveryone should suffer a little each day, because of the miraculous results and health we acheive.... :)

Treadmills are BORING- thats why you have an issue with it :) I wouldd much rather run outside- but at zero degrees we have to protect our lungs.

Whats helps me is to warm up by starting slow... and ease into a run and just try to set goals, realizing some days will be better than others... and not stressing out if you dont hit your goal fo r that day... Intensity should build with time, but consistency is the key... I just force myself to get started, then I go into a positive imagery thing while I walk/ run. I just try to get my blood flowing, heart rate up, and lungs working deeply (and make sure I sweat a little to detox my system)

I also have a eliptical (thats easier on the joints) and some people like tae bo tapes, pilates, or just good old fasioned situps and pushups....

you are on the right track, Heather... keep on keeping on !

Joe

Hi All,

I appreciate the responses received - thanks! To answer a few questions: My cancer is diagnosed as Ednocarcinoma - multiple biopsies confirm this for both the initial diagnosis as well as for the reoccurrance. I weight about 25 lbs more now than when I started chemo - honest! Dr's theory is the weight gain is caused by the large amount of steroids taken during chemo. My theory is I eat too much now :-) My favorite form of excercise is riding a bike. But as Joe points out, it's not the form of excercise but how hard you push yourself that counts (within reason, of course). I ride hard enough to work up a sweat and raise my pulse. Normal ride for me is about 10 miles - not hard to do on a bike. I never avoid riding up a hill but look on it as a challenge. During 'standard' chemo, riding uphill was intensely difficult. Most times, I had to walk the bike. Even today, I still have difficulty riding up hills which posed no problem a couple of years ago - could also be age :-). Anyway, I believe excercise is important. Hope that answers your questions. I need to get back to work for awhile :-)

Regards,

Mark

Thanks everyone for the kind messages. I have buried myself in work thinking that would keep my mind occupied. For the most part, this strategy 'works' but I do catch myself looking over my shoulder and wondering what's next. While exercise has been very beneficial, I do acknowledge that there is a higher force working here since I was given 6 months to live over 1 1/2 years ago :-)

Regards,

Mark