They figured me out...

marc9338

My oncologist just called with lab results.  I tested positive for the ALK mutation.  She was very upbeat and positive about the targeted therapy options.  I am going on Crizotinib immediately. 

Anyone else on Crizotinib?  Side effects?  Success to date? 

God is good...  Praying this med does the trick!  For a long time :-)

Marc

Marc, I am very excited to hear that you are a fellow ALKie. I have been on Xalkori (crizotinib) now for 15 months. I am stable with no signs of progression. Everyone's body reacts differently, but I can tell you the side effects that I have experienced have been minimal. In the beginning I had some visual disturbances such as flashes of light when going from a darkened room into a lighted room. If I take my medication without eating something first I will get nauseated and vomit. If I eat before taking my med I have no problem. I have had some severe bouts of diarrhea that have resolved with a probiotic. If I did not have to take my pills I seriously would not know that I have cancer. I do all the things I have ever done. I am praying that your results will be as good as mine have. God be with you.

That's awesome...  Really glad to hear of your good results!

I am walking on sunshine today...  Don't want cancer at all, but if I have to have it I am glad its a known mutation with available options.

God is doing something BIG!  Thank you for sharing...

Marc

Exactly, Marc. There is a group on Facebook called Living with NSCLC ALK mutation that you may want to check out. Tom and Merita Carroll started it because Merita has the ALK mutation also. It is a closed group only for ALK positive patients.

One thing I would like to add to the crizotinib side effects is that it lowered my pulse rate drastically, I was on a blood pressure med at the time and the two drugs didn't play well together. My oncologist took me off the blood pressure med and I have had no further problems with my BP or my pulse rate since. Just something to be aware of.

Hi, Marc,

That's great news!! My uncle was diagnosed with ALK and he took Xalkori (crizotinib) for three years with very positive results. He experienced minimal side effects (his ankles swelled up quite a bit, but that didn't stop him from playing golf, going to the beach, or any of his other favorite activities). He only recently switched to Alecensa (alectinib) and is still doing very well.

Here is a link to LUNGevity's guide to managing side effects: https://www.lungevity.org/support-survivorship/survivor-resource-center/living-well-with-lung-cancer/managing-treatment-side

Please keep us posted!

Lauren

--

Digital Community Manager

LUNGevity Foundation

Thanks Lauraen...  I've been on crizotinib for 4 days now.  No side effects so far.

Had a follow up with my Oncologist today.  She continued to be optimistic and confident in the plan. 

Every day my eyes open is a gift from God.  

Marc