Mixed bag

Susan Cornett

Got my results from last week's scan. Blood work was good but I have a lymph node that is behaving badly.  A lymph node on the left side of my chest has almost tripled in size since November. I will have a pet scan in 3 weeks - doc wants to wait until I recover from this upper respiratory mess I have. So, we wait.

Susan,

I'd hoped for better results.  I know what your are thinking and feeling.  Try and take comfort from the fact that NED in lung cancer is difficult and recurrence is common.  

You doc is right not to mix respiratory infection with PET scan.  The result would be confusion.  Things won't change much in 3 weeks so you should try and relax.  Having said that, I know how hard it is to relax but try.

Remember, the objective is to enjoy the life we have.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi, Susan,

I know those weren't the results we were hoping for BUT this is just a setback. Keep us posted about your next scan. You have a wonderful "live life to the fullest" mentality, so keep that going! We're here when you need to talk!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Thank you both.  I'm approaching this as just a flare-up from a chronic illness.  I knew that a recurrence was highly likely but I was hoping I'd have a little more freedom before this hit.  But, in all honesty, I've felt almost guilty that my first year went as smoothly as it did, so to speak.  So many people have far greater challenges than I've faced.

If the lymph node lights up on the pet scan, oncologist will refer me back to my friendly thoracic surgeon for a biopsy and to remove the  node during the process.  What sucks about that? The surgeon would have to make an incision on my neck BELOW my thyroidectomy scar - he can't use the same one.  Oh well, nothing a little jewelry won't cover.  

My concern - the one that is always there - is my parents.  I'm sure I shared this on an earlier post, but I'm an only child.  My husband and I don't have kids.  If something happens to me, who'll look after them?   My mom is my dad's caregiver.  He's had two strokes and he is currently battling lymphoma and another blood disorder.  My mom is one tough cookie.

I love this forum because I can come here to share, whine, cry, and curse; everyone here understands. Thanks for being my therapist!

Susan,

Sorry to hear of your recent troubles. How have things turned out for you with that?

Your worry about your parents touched my heart. Although my parents are gone, I have an adult daughter with a brain injury of whom I have been guardian for the last 15 years, and she is my biggest worry. Luckily, she does have an older sister, but she has 5 children of her own and a busy career, but she is it! I know I kind of spoil my younger daughter to an extent that won't happen after I'm gone, but I've done what I can; made my older daughter co-guardian so that is taken care of and set up a trust to help her with the financial part and have been working on giving the rest to God. I've done everything earthly possible to make it as smooth as it can be, but it still breaks my heart to think about leaving her. Wish I had some comforting words of wisdom or brilliant advice, but all I can offer is my understanding about the agony of worry over the ones that depend on you. We will just have to stick around! Hang in there & best wishes.

Ruthie

Good morning, Ruthie.  I'm in a holding pattern until my pet scan on March 15th and results on March 16th.  I think I've resigned myself to/made peace with a recurrence.  If it's not, we'll be dancing in the streets.  I am fortunate to have an incredible husband and a very close knit group of friends who are basically sisters.  I know my parents will be in good hands should the worst happen, but I still want to be there.

I have found comfort in an odd place this week.  A dear friend from high school and college was diagnosed with cancer this week and she is overwhelmed as we all were when we were diagnosed.  I've tried to give her information and comfort and help her get through the first few days.  She told me last night that everything I've shared with her this week has been very helpful to her.  Helping her has been a lovely distraction!

So much is out of our hands, isn't it? 

Susan,

You are so right on; most of this is out of our hands. Thank God for good friends & family to walk with us on our path (or ride with us on the roller-coaster!)

So glad to hear you were able to be a comfort & support source for your friend. It feels so good to be able to be of service to another. You are lucky to have one another!

Wishing you peace & good thoughts and HURRY UP March 16th! 

Ruthie