Introducing myself

Judy M.

Hope I'm in the right place to introduce myself. I'm a breast cancer survivor who has now been diagnosed with lung cancer. Not the spread or recurrance of my breast cancer, but an actual lung cancer. Adenocarcinoma stage IV to be exact. Found my breast cancer in Jan. 2016, treated with lumpectomy and radiation and feeling great. Then developed pneumonia in January of this year that led to the discovery of the lung cancer. This is the first time I've joined any sort of forum, cancer or otherwise. But found this one as I was browsing for information and really liked the honest but positive dialogs. Got through my breast cancer treatment pretty easily. Probably because I had no chemo and my skin held up to radiation well. This time my doctor recommends cryoknife radiation concurrent with mild does of carboplatin/taxol concurrently. This seems to be my best option for extending my life. My cancer is small and has not spread beyond my lungs. The reason for stage IV is that I have a nodule in each lung. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has this type of cancer or who has undergone this treatment. I've not yet started treatment. Also, I stopped smoking 18 years ago, but have emphysema. Am concerned about what the radiation and chemo will do to my lung capacity. Right now I'm able to exercise 5 or 6 days a week using my inhaler. 

Hi Judy,

Welcome! I'm a breast cancer survivor (Stage 1), too. I also am a survivor of a clear cell cervical cancer (Stage 3b, grade 3). The lung cancer is the most recent, Stage 1 adenocarcinoma. For it, I had a lobectomy and don't need further treatment at this time.

For my cervical I had concurrent chemo and radiation plus additional carbo/taxoterre afterwards. Because my gut was radiated and not my lungs, the effects may be quite different. I had some unpleasant times during my treatment, but stayed well enough to drive myself to my treatments. 

Hang in there and best wishes to you.

Judy,

Welcome here.  Sounds exactly like the right treatment plan.  CyberKnife finally eradicated a stubborn tumor 10 years ago and did the trick for me.  The post CyberKnife chemo is also standard fare to ensure killing any cells that may be circulating through the blood stream.  Here is information on treating lung cancer with radiation that may be useful.

I hope your treatment progresses smoothly.

Stay the course.

Tom

Good morning, Judy.  You and I are walking a similar path for lung cancer.  I was diagnosed with stage IV adenocarcinoma last spring after a lobectomy.  I followed with four rounds of cisplatin/alimta.  Regular screening just found a recurrence in a lymph node in my chest, so I'm preparing to start 6 weeks of concurrent radiation and chemo (carboplatin/taxol). I'm told the chemo won't be as rough as it was last year.  

Please keep us posted on your progress.  

Thanks to everyone who replied. I would have responded sooner but thought I'd get notification on my phone and didn't see it. BridgetO we really have a lot in common. I also had cervical cancer many years ago, but was found while still in situ so surgery was the only treatment required. Then stage 1 breast cancer a year ago and now stage IV lung cancer. Tom, your comment about my treatment is very encouraging. Thank you so much.Skmcornett will be good to have a buddy in this treatment. I've not had chemo previously so will be new to me. My doctor also told me the chemo would be mild and I shouldn't have very bad side effects. From what I've read the major treatment is the cyberknife radiation and the chemo is just to keep the cancer from spreading. Do you know when you'll be starting your treatment? I don't have a date yet. I'm seeing my radiology oncologist on Monday. So thankful I found this group. 

God's blessings to each of you.

Ive had 3 cancers but different to you ladies and it was on surveillance scans for my sarcoma cancer that they saw a nodule that had grown in my lung and it turned out to be a primary cancer so ive had surgery and now chemo and the sarcoma was treated with radiation for 5 weeks and then 2 surgeries and that was going on 5 yrs ago so ill still be checked up to 10 yrs for sarcoma because its notorious for recurrence

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Yes, I really never had a desire to be in the elite 3 separate primary cancers group. One would have been more than enough. I do feel blessed that my first 2 were caught in an early stage. And hopeful now. Especially after what Tom said. My Oncologist first told me it was stage IV and their goal in that stage is to control not cure. Then said he thought we should try the cyberknife/chemo route and go for a cure. The reason being because it's oligo. I thought he was saying illegal ( which all cancer should be) and had to ask him to spell that for me. Just means it's confined to my lungs according to P.E.T. scan. I've since learned on this forum that we say NED not cured.  Ceetainly makes sense to me after my 3 cancers experience, but those were the terms he chose to use. Tom, how is your breathing? Did the cyberknife treatment have an effect on your ability to breathe? You don't have ( or haven't seen that you have) emphysema, but you did have the lobectomy. Can you exercise? I'd hate to have to give up exercising. Other than for 2 weeks after my lumpectomy and a period toward the end of radiation I was able to exercise through my previous treatment. Had greater shortness of breath after radiation but it was temporary. Glad to hear you're 5 years out from your 3 cancers Mally. Great encouragement to 'fight,fight, fight' as my oldest son says. He's an MMA coach. He keeps me focused on winning the battles.

Judy,

Good questions about breathing.  I have one remaining lung that was treated 3 times for tumors (two by chemo and one by CyberKnife).  Each tumor area is scar tissue so I have about 38% of normal lung capacity.  I am as active as I can be.  I can't walk distances without a rest and hills give me problems.  Aerobic exercise is out of the question.  Thankfully, I do not have emphysema but because of the several surgical repairs to my airway and stent insertions, I have a very sensitive area of scar-like tissue in my airway that is quite reactive.  I get an asthma-like reaction in the spring and fall pollen season and that scar tissue is not well supplied by blood vessels. Consequently, I am very susceptible to catching the flavor of the week cold or flu.

But, I am a worst case example.  I served in the Army with a soldier who had one lung removed as a result of a combat wound.  He participated in all physical training and field problems and was combat deployable.  We were also much younger.

Your tumors are small and if CyberKnife works -- and it will -- you will have hardly any lasting effect on your aerobic capacity.  You should be able to enjoy your active lifestyle.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Thank you, Tom. I also have asthma. My lungs were pretty much a mess before the cancer but I was doing all I could to keep them strong. Pulmonary test done last year said I had 45% capacity.  But since it was done at a time when I had a resp. infection and was having a C.O.P.D flare up hope I have a bit more than that. Glad you are still moving as much as possible. You are an inspiration for all of us.

Judy

Judy im only out 5 yrs from 2 surgically removed basil cell skin cancers and the sarcoma but im half way thru chemo for my lung cancer and things seem to be going well so far because hair loss is only minimal and nausea is under control

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk