Laurel

I meet with my local Oncologist tomorrow, 4/12/2018, to discuss start of chemotherapy plan. At M D Anderson, they recommmended lower dose of Carboplatin and Alimta due to my age, 71, and having rheumatoid arthritis. There would be a session every three weeks for 4 sessions. My M D Anderson Oncologist recommended IV...no port. I have read a lot going both ways.

After chemotherapy, I have 5 weeks of radiation, Monday to Friday.

What do you think- port or IV?

My chemo was Cisplatin and Alimta every 3 weeks for four rounds. I did get a port. Had scans yesterday and was reminded of why I chose to have one. The techs who do the scans can't access my port because they aren't R. N.'s. For some reason the C. T. people seem to have the most problems (and I've always been an easy stick). Last C. T.' s a vein blew and this time she had to dig around in there for some time to get it to suit her. Wasn't pleasant.  Can't imagine what it would be like if I hadn't gotten my port. Even though I also only had 4 rounds of chemo, I've had countless blood tests and am now having Opdivo every two weeks. And who knows down the road? I have a cream I apply to my port area an hour before they access it and I don't even feel the stick. I hope the chemo takes care of all your little stray cancer devils. But if it doesn't you may have more treatment down the road as I'm having. I'm glad I got my port. Having it put in was an easy procedure and I feel like it's spared me unnecessary pain. There's enough necessary pain with cancer in my mind. No need to opt for avoidable pain. Just my opinion of course. 

Judy M

Im glad i got a port put in because having bloods and an infusion every 2 weeks was making me dread the nurse trying to get a good vein and not having the line  hanging off my hand or arm is great too ..

Thank you so much for your guidance. I'll update after I see my oncologist this morning.

I just saw my oncologist. He recommended IV as you are at risk of blood clots and infection with a Port. I have a crummy immune system and have rheumatoid arthtitis which makes me having a Port riskier.

Im sorry to hear that because you probably would have liked it but i know the clotting thing is taken care of by injecting some blood thinner after the infusion has finished but your oncologist knows whats best for you 

Laurel,

My mom has rheumatoid arthritis too. A port was never offered.  She had no problems with weekly chemo infusion IV's or blood draws, she had chemo and radiation for 12 weeks.  She has some trouble now with her Keytruda drips, every 3 weeks.  They have trouble with getting her veins to cooperate, but they eventually get one. I've heard wonders about ports and although it may be easier, my mom gets along fine without one and I'm sure you will too.  To her, the needle sticks aren't a big deal.

Thank you Mally and Steff. My oncologist is willing to revisit the Port if there are issues with IV.  Typical cancer plan- step by step....modify as needed.

Archived