Questions re: Pre-Surgery Preparation

ColleenRae

Hello!

I have a lobectomy scheduled for October 1st. I feel assured re: the surgeon but am not too pleased with the scheduler / individual who is supposedly my contact for arranging all / informing me of what is needed prior to surgery (i.e. Her voice mail message literally says "This is  xxx. I will return your call at MY earliest convenience." Now THAT choice of words speaks volumes to me! LOL!!!)

I received a printed manual of sorts regarding what I might need to do prior to surgery (i.e. no supplements two weeks prior to surgery, no ibuprofen, etc.). It states I need to shower with a certain soap both the night before and morning of surgery.  It also states I should call to make arrangements for any blood tests, EKG's, etc. that need to be taken care of prior to surgery.  Nothing was marked. I have not been advised of any blood work, EKG's, etc.  So, I called and left a message for this contact person (she has yet to return any call I've made).  One thing I wanted to know is if I can get a flu shot now, prior to surgery.

Just wondering what some of you were required to do prior to surgery. I've had a lung function test and a PET Scan and that's it, apart from my CT last July.  With past surgeries or hospital procedures, I have always had blood work done beforehand and I've had an EKG. The last time I had anesthesia there was some concern re: a low platelet count and varicose veins I have. Does this seem unusual that NOTHING is being scheduled or done prior to surgery?  Should I be concerned or ask questions (IF I can even get an answer out of this person...!) 

Thank you.

Colleen,

Unfortunately, I have too much experience in surgery. My surgeon always sent pre-admission orders to the hospital requiring I have a blood test and EKG. I think that is pretty standard before a surgery so I’d check with the surgeon’s practice. 

While you are at it, ensure you have a discussion about your personal preferences. For example, on my first surgery, I didn’t realize how constipated morphine would make me. Before my second, I made sure the surgeon’s orders included administration of laxitives. I didn’t like the daily blood draws and negotiated stopping them 3 days after surgery thus reducing a very early morning poke. Figure in not getting anything unless it is noted on doctors orders. So, heating pad, ice bag, whatever, if not on the orders, you won’t get it easily!

Stay the course. 

Tom

If I recall correctly, there was some pre-surgery testing that I had done all at once a few days before the surgery.  I don't remember having an EKG done, but that could have been due to my age and having no history of heart problems.  Or I might just have forgotten about it.  

I'm sure you will get a call back soon.  Hold off on the flu shot till you hear from them.  I can't imagine it would matter, but just to be on the safe side.  Actually, a pharmacist might be able to answer that question, or at least tell you whether you need to check with your surgeon first.

It will all get taken care of--try not to stress out about it.  

26 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

Colleen,

Unfortunately, I have too much experience in surgery. My surgeon always sent pre-admission orders to the hospital requiring I have a blood test and EKG. I think that is pretty standard before a surgery so I’d check with the surgeon’s practice. 

While you are at it, ensure you have a discussion about your personal preferences. For example, on my first surgery, I didn’t realize how constipated morphine would make me. Before my second, I made sure the surgeon’s orders included administration of laxitives. I didn’t like the daily blood draws and negotiated stopping them 3 days after surgery thus reducing a very early morning poke. Figure in not getting anything unless it is noted on doctors orders. So, heating pad, ice bag, whatever, if not on the orders, you won’t get it easily!

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thank you, Tom... All very good things to consider and look into. I'd rather not be constipated on top of everything else! :-) 

I'm grateful for your experience but sorry you've got it to share!

Colleen

23 minutes ago, LexieCat said:

If I recall correctly, there was some pre-surgery testing that I had done all at once a few days before the surgery.  I don't remember having an EKG done, but that could have been due to my age and having no history of heart problems.  Or I might just have forgotten about it.  

I'm sure you will get a call back soon.  Hold off on the flu shot till you hear from them.  I can't imagine it would matter, but just to be on the safe side.  Actually, a pharmacist might be able to answer that question, or at least tell you whether you need to check with your surgeon first.

It will all get taken care of--try not to stress out about it.  

Thank you LexieCat ~ Of course! I should have thought of asking a pharmacist!

Thank you for such a common sense solution (I think I'm losing my mind here).

Trying not to stress out about this... but failing miserably today! 😩

My mom had a pft to make sure her lungs were good for surgery.  Two days ago she had pre op testing,  blood test, EKG, urine test and chest xray.  They also swabbed her nostrils to make sure she doesn't have Mersa. Her urine test came back she has bladder infection so surgery was cancelled and she's taking Cipro for 10 days.  Her EKG was good but doctor wants her to have stress test.  That test is Tuesday.  Mom is 70 so maybe that's why she needs extra testing.  We just want to get this all done.  I hope this info helps you!    Joy

Archived