Air leak post vats surgery

Ld1978

Hi all

my dad had his vats surgery Monday for a lobectomy. He’s doing really well but has an air leak which doesn’t seem to be going. The surgeon said he wouldn’t be home this side of the weekend and googling has made me find some scary stuff with air leaks. Does anyone have any experience of this?

he is 81 and has copd so I think this puts him at higher risk. I’m hoping it’s just a blip and will settle soon. I know it’s common but can’t help worry after what I read :( 

Hi there,

Air leaks are not that uncommon. My mom had one after her lobectomy. It took about 10 days to close up enough for my mom to leave the hospital - my mom didn't have VATS, she had a full, open surgery, so there is more recovery time.

Her surgeon said it wouldn't be unheard of for the leak to continue to another week or two. Eventually the lung healed itself and closed up.

Hope that helps a bit.

-Steff

I am currently recovering from a VATS lobectomy I had on Tuesday.  Air leaks are not uncommon.  There is an air pocket in my chest that is preventing me from going home. I’m considerably younger (42) than you dad but the doctors are pretty matter of fact about it.  Google can provide scary results for just about anything.  Stick with the info you are getting from the doctors (I know it’s not always as forthcoming as we’d like) and nurses.  I’m sure there are some on this forum that can provide more input on what to expect with the air leak.  

I’ll be thinking of your dad...and you.  Watching how hard this is on my family has me believing it’s just as hard or harder on them than it is on me.  I get the good pain pills...they don’t.  

Thanks so much curt - I hope your recovery goes smoothly and your home soon. The leak seems to be what’s preventing my dad going home too. They also said it’s very common so don’t seem worried at the moment. 

Will the air pocket go on its own or do you have a drain like my dad?

wishing you a speeey recovery 

I have a drain chest tube) in right now.  Hopefully it goes away soon.  It is the only thing stopping me from going home as well.   

Archived