Leave it be & monitor or biopsy

Charlie

Male 74, smoker - 8cm spiculated nodual, surgeon wants biopsy, has not changed size in 5 months. I  am concerned about the biopsy activating the nodual into something more dangerous. Any suggestions?

Listen to your Doctor. Also read some posts here. Time is on the side of the cancer..not you IMO.

Good luck and Peace

Tom

Is that 8 cm or 8 mm?  8 cm is a large nodule, 8 mm is just on the cusp of whether or not a biopsy is even possible.   Have you had a PET scan yet?    

A biopsy has some potential down sides but it won’t activate a nodule into something else.   

Here is a good resource on nodules.  https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/lung-nodules-online.pdf

Charlie,

Welcome here. As Curt states, if 8 cm, it is indeed a large tumor and I'd be inclined to have it biopsied. 

There are some misconceptions about lung cancer involving surgery and or biopsy. The most common is exposing the tumor to oxygen will cause it to grow out of control. I know of no case where a surgical procedure or any type of biopsy caused a tumor or nodule to morph into something more dangerous. If he nodule is lung cancer, it is already dangerous enough. The biopsy will identify the type of cancer (if in fact it is cancer) and knowing the type is essential to starting treatment. Here is a good introduction to lung cancer that ought to provide more information.

Stay the course.

Tom

4 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Charlie,

Welcome here. As Curt states, if 8 cm, it is indeed a large tumor and I'd be inclined to have it biopsied. 

There are some misconceptions about lung cancer involving surgery and or biopsy. The most common is exposing the tumor to oxygen will cause it to grow out of control. I know of no case where a surgical procedure or any type of biopsy caused a tumor or nodule to morph into something more dangerous. If he nodule is lung cancer, it is already dangerous enough. The biopsy will identify the type of cancer (if in fact it is cancer) and knowing the type is essential to starting treatment. Here is a good introduction to lung cancer that ought to provide more information.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom. That is a strange theory. The tumor is in the lung. When the lung is functioning than the tumor is exposed to oxygen. 

Funny how many crazy theories exist.

My point on biopsy is if the procedure is essentially as invasive as VAT..do a VAT, check it for cancer. If not cancer do a sleave resectomy. If it is cancer you remove the lobe. Obviously only for potentially stage 1 or stage 2 clinical diagnosis.

Peace

Tom

Thank you all. Of course my size was  skewed lol. I did have the biopsy last Tuesday. Need to stay as we leaked air.  The doc wants another PET scan - which is scheduled for tomorrow.

Thank you all again 👍

Charlie

Archived