Thanks addicts...

TJM

I have argued ever sense this opioid "crisis" became a hot topic that the people who would pay the biggest price would be those in pain.

Never thought I would soon be one of them and find out I was correct.  Here I sit, in the dark, watching TV. No pain till I shift positions...then bam. Entire right side lights up in pain. When I take a pain pill per the directions it works for about 2 hrs....that means 4 more hrs of pain till I am suppose to take another. And the docs got me taking the minimum dosage at max time between per my research. 5 mgm every 6 hours (Oxycodone).

Sooo..counting the pills and hoping I irritated something yesterday and with Ibro and oxy it will improve and I will make it till monday when I can once again beg for more.

Really is stupid.  There is ZERO reason for me to have pain. The pills work. Pisses me off. I'll survive the pain..I have a high tolerance because of my cluster headaches but that doesn't mean I should have to.

Peace

Tom

I’m surprised they are restricting you.   Keeping you out of pain would seem like a priority.  It really helps you be able to do the things that you need to do to recover.  I understand them wanting you to wean off as soon as you can but too quickly is counter productive.   

Check with your doctor to see if you can take any over the counter pain meds to get you through those last few hours.  I found that Tylenol and Motrin helped.  

TJM,

I believe I read that Washington State has a law or regulation that is more restrictive on opioid prescriptions than the Federal standard. I was acquainted with a lung cancer survivor from Washington State who was admitted to hospice for end state lung cancer and who also had difficulty obtaining pain controlling medication.  His doctor needed to renew his script every 3 days....

As engineers, we feel the same effect when a governing body restricts our professional judgement by creating an "engineering standard". Regardless of the unique circumstance and without consideration to the extent of our education and experience, some governing body determines what must be done in every circumstance. It is well intended but results in over design and wasted dollars.

What we should do as a society is identify those who are violating professional practice ethics and dictums and removing the license to practice. But that is too much trouble.  I wish I had a solution.

Stay the course.

Tom

Very well put Tom. I may indeed be being a bit hard on my surgeon as he has approved every refill I have asked for...got one today. It makes such a difference and will undoubtedly speed my recovery.

Your analogy to an Engineers ability to use his/her craft and experience and education is spot on. I feel lucky to have been educated and having the ability to use my judgement for a large part of my career. My experience in the last decade is that much of engineering is now what I call cook book.....i.e. follow a preset recipe. That is sad, because our real job is to continually improve processes and designs, not become static with a predetermined set of standards and methods.

Hope you are having a good day...I am having my best day since the surgery.

Peace

Archived